Kernel Upgrade?

Using a vaio vpcf11 like a lot of vaio users I can’t get my touchpad to work. A common fix is to add i8042.nopn in the boot parameters. I did that and still nothing. Was wondering if I could update the kernel. I am running 11.3 with all the updates. I think I am running 2.6.34ish I was wondering if there is something more recent…and if it would help anything.

I don’t know if it will help but You can get more recent kernels here Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory but it surely won’t hurt to try. Just be sure to enable multiple versions of kernel. http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-help-here/install-boot-login/448936-multiple-kernels.html post number #6 to enable that. This way in case something goes wrong You can easily switch back to the older kernel.

Best regards,
Greg

Thank you for the post, what is the difference between default, debug, base, debugsource, etc? Also are these packs all set to go? Do i need to reconfigure anything?

Don’t know the exact difference between them. All I know is that You most likely need default or desktop kernel. AFAIK The default kernel won’t see more than 4GB of ram and is optimized for servers. What kernel are You using now ?

I don’t understand the questions. Are You asking on how to install one of the kernels from this repository ?

Best regards,
Greg

I’d stick with just the Desktop kernel flavor. But you may need the source files (src) if you need to compile any modules for your system.

You may want to check the sintax. AFAIR the ending is .nopnp. I’ve also seen a completely different extension to this parameter somewhere.

glistwan wrote:

<quote>
> iball;2269344 Wrote:
>> Thank you for the post, what is the difference between default,
>> debug, base, debugsource, etc?
> Don’t know the exact difference between them. All I know is that You
> most likely need default or desktop kernel. AFAIK The default kernel
> won’t see more than 4GB of ram and is optimized for servers. What
> kernel are You using now ?
</quote>
Not sure what your referring to, only runs 4 GB Ram. I have the 11.3
kernel, both default and desktop, bot see the full 8GB in my system. I
normally use default because it was installed first. No problems what so
ever with memory. Using Crucial 2Gb sticks on a Intel DX48BT2
motherboard.Note below I am using the 2.6.34 kernel.

Is the 4GB a limit of the Vaio motherboard? Doesn’t appear to be a limit
of 11.3.

Russ
openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34.7-0.5-default)|KDE 4.5.3 Release 10|
Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS

I think all the modern 32 bit kernels except vanilla use PAE which allows system addresses up to 64Gb. So you will see and be able to see 8 gig no problem but because of 32 bit addressing any process is still limited to 4 gig. Desktop is the kernel that is normally installed as default. I believe the pae kernel is the vanilla kernel with pae added. This is not an issue with 64 bit versions.

I was referring to PAE. I thought the default kernel comes without it :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Greg