Kernel Update to 2.6.34.7-0.5

Did a zypper ref and zypper up and upgraded my kernel to 2.6.34.7-0.5. Everything working perfectly

To ATI users, better do that before upgrading to Catalyst 10.10 !

• actually … it seems more logical, but I haven’t tested it yet.

I did the update too, and all of my problems seem to have disappeared as well :slight_smile:

Cheers!
etech97 :slight_smile:

I don’t remember having so many kernel updates so shortly after release. Updating right now.

I had that very thought as I went for the update, that went smoothly here. Can’t say I noticed any benefit (apart from security).

What has changed since the last kernel update? Just security fixes?

You didn’t check before doing the update? The description I saw claimed bug fixes as well. I personally didn’t notice any difference after rebooting on my h/w.

So far so good with 2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop x64.

No I didn’t. I also didn’t notice much difference.

My test box updated flawlessly too.
Latest Nvidia deiver.

For the curious as to what this 2.6.34.7-0.5 kernel update is for …

This update is needed to fix a security vulnerability with this package.
This update of the openSUSE 11.3 Linux kernel fixes two critical security issues and some bugs.

Following security issues were fixed:

• CVE-2010-3904: A local privilege escalation in RDS sockets allowed local attackers to gain privileges.
  • CVE-2010-2963: A problem in the compat ioctl handling in video4linux allowed local attackers with a video device plugged in to gain privileges on x86_64 system

For more information about bugs fixed by this update please visit these websites:
Access Denied.
Access Denied.
Access Denied.
Access Denied.
Access Denied.
Access Denied.
The computer will have to be restarted after the update for the changes to take effect.

I hate these bug hidden behind a NOVELL login.

I did something a little different this time. I ran it through a VM 1st ran the VM for a while. When there were no probs there I installed the updates on my system.
Of course I’ve not had a problem with updates before, it’s just that I have a way to test it out now.
Others may want to consider doing likewise one never knows & better to replace a VM them a RM?
As to there being more lately yes it does seem that way. Maybe we have more aware people watching & fixing bugs. That’s a good thing isn’t it?

Hi
646045 I’m guessing?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34.7-0.5-default
up 5:22, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.00
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 260.19.12

647392, 646045 and, 645066 actually. I am guessing whoever marked these as NOVELL only mismarked them. If they are bugs and not security issues they should be visible.

I no longer replace the previous kernel I add a new one. This way you don’t get bit in the rear if the new kernel breaks your system.

Same here, updated perfectly…OpenSUSE is what I always wanted so far!!

Great Work!!

Hi
645066 is globally accessible. The other two are security related,
maybe if you ask on the mailing list (opensuse-kernel) someone may
provide more info?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34.7-0.5-default
up 8:27, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.02
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 260.19.12

Trouble free updates here