kernel update, remote experience

Before: X server works with newest nvidia driver, GLX works remotely with x11vnc (with some geometry differences - Xvnc) via some display managers

1. Kernel update, different version numbers (downloaded vs loaded).
  2. xdm displaymanager crashes at restart.
  3. nvidia installer crashes: different kernel versions, DKMS problem.
  4. Manually rewrite grub menu.lst, reboot. Lots of fail2ban letters.
  5. nvidia install successful, displaymanager starts, mkinitrd.
  6. graphical login not possible.
  7. reboot. Lots of fail2ban letters.
  8. Half of the displaymanagers works (same as before), graphical login reachable.

a little bit complicated… what the DKMS does then?

I saw a Mesa update was involved too. Try reinstalling the nvidia drivers, it could be that the Mesa packages replaced the nvidia symlinks.

I saw the Mesa… and reinstalled nvidia drivers successfully. Maybe I do not understand you clearly… everything is worked what had worked before… just with a bit too manual and complicated method. Or could it be more seamless?

And there are remained some non-working displaymanagers till now, for example sddm completely, plasma5, kde. I am waiting for the fix. I have heard that KDE is not supported in OpenSuSE… is it true? I do not understand that.

Depends on the hardware. Optimus ( Intel + NVIDIA ) is working fine on my laptop, on my main machine’s TW install (NVIDIA only ) I installed the NVIDIA blob manually, with the --dkms option ( dkms has to be installed ) which works fine.

And there are remained some non-working displaymanagers till now, for example sddm completely, plasma5, kde. I am waiting for the fix. I have heard that KDE is not supported in OpenSuSE… is it true? I do not understand that.

SDDM works fine on my machines

On Mesa: some of the files from the Mesa package get replaced by symlinks to the NVIDIA versions. On a Mesa update these symlinks get overwriten. A reinstall of the NVIDIA driver reverses that

My machine is a remote server (desktop) reached (in this situation) by vnc or ssvnc (AMD FX-8350, nvidia card). I installed nvidia driver, successful, after Mesa update.
vnc/ssvnc —> Xvnc/x11vnc —> xdm-kdm/ssdm —> other desktop applications chain has lots of errors for me. Geometry problems, freezing programs, sometimes only reboot helps. Did anybody test it?
I have read that some applications have restrictions in the chain. Is it necessary?