Kernel Update Caused Broken Machine. How Do I Fix?

Hello

As with other posts, I was doing a kernel update and can no longer boot into 11.3. I am dual booting with XP. I get Grub screen but no longer see Suse as a boot option, only Windows. I have tried to reinstall, but for some reason I can’t get it to boot with DVD. So, is there a way that I can repair my computer without doing a reinstall? It would sure save me a lot of time?

Thanks
Harpo1

Did anything unusual happen during the update?

What do you mean, you can’t get it to boot with the DVD? Does the DVD boot up or not?

The update seemed to stall. It ran all night (update icon indicating it was updating). I looked at the icon and it said still at 0%. I stopped the install at this point and tried update again. Same result. I restarted machine and no longer had the option to boot into Suse at Grub splash screen. I then tried to use the DVD with iso image on it that I used to install, and I can’t boot with it. I tried to use an earlier version of Suse DVD iso image that I had installed with previously and it couldn’t see that either. I downloaded 11.3 again burned it with a good checksum and it couldn’t see it either. I can boot to the live CD however. Can I use it to somehow fix my boot option to include Suse?

Harpo1

All the mess with the updates doesn’t stop DVD’s booting.
You can repair with the DVD
Picasa Web Albums - caf4926 - DVD Kernel Fix

It’s also possible with the live cd but quite complicated. Start the live cd and then you have to mount the partition where the system is installed. See this post for more info
Kernel Update problems

Actually, for some reason OpenSuse iso’s have caused me problems since 10.2. I have to try many times before my computer will see the DVD as bootable. Even after install I sometimes have to eject DVD and insert it again for it to be seen. I don’t have this with any other iso’s (Ubuntu, Mandriva for instance) just OpenSuse.

On 2010-09-26 15:36, Harpo1 wrote:
>
> Actually, for some reason OpenSuse iso’s have caused me problems since
> 10.2. I have to try many times before my computer will see the DVD as
> bootable. Even after install I sometimes have to eject DVD and insert
> it again for it to be seen. I don’t have this with any other iso’s
> (Ubuntu, Mandriva for instance) just OpenSuse.

You do have a problem with DVD. Test change the drive.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Okay, I burnt a new DVD on a different machine, and it was able to boot with it right away. I am now following the instructions listed above for fixing my machine. It won’t boot after the “Update”. I am now going to do a clean install and start from scratch. :frowning:

What video card do you have? You might want to read

openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

Actually, all was fixed. I went to do a fresh install of 11.3 and there it was as a boot option in Grub. Go figure. So, I did some automatic updates, and the same thing happened again because I forgot to remove the kernel update as an option. So, I have fixed it yet again and now have a question about the kernel updates. I see two as available updates:
Kernel security anf bugfix update security 3173
Linux Kernel security/bugfix update to 2.6.34.4 security 3038

Which one is the problematic update? I currently have 2.6.34-12-default i686 as my kernel.

Thanks for all the help
Harpo1

On 2010-09-27 13:06, Harpo1 wrote:
>
> Actually, all was fixed. I went to do a fresh install of 11.3 and there
> it was as a boot option in Grub. Go figure. So, I did some automatic
> updates, and the same thing happened again because I forgot to remove
> the kernel update as an option. So, I have fixed it yet again and now
> have a question about the kernel updates. I see two as available
> updates:
> Kernel security anf bugfix update security 3173
> Linux Kernel security/bugfix update to 2.6.34.4 security 3038
>
> Which one is the problematic update? I currently have
> 2.6.34-12-default i686 as my kernel.

Make a backup of the file /boot/grub/menu.lst. Do the updates. Don’t reboot yet!
Open the file with your preferred editor (as root), and compare with the backup. If the entry for
linux is missing, add it back - check the actual file names of kernel and ramdisk.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Actually, I can’t do the update. I click on install, and it starts the process and never finishes. I have left it overnight and it still won’t install. This only happens on the two kernel updates that are mentioned above. So I can’t even get that far.

Harpo1

On 2010-09-28 13:06, Harpo1 wrote:
>
> Actually, I can’t do the update. I click on install, and it starts the
> process and never finishes.

What are you using to do the install? Yast? which flavour? Zypper?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

There’s something wrong with your update repo. You should not get the 2.6.34.4 kernel, but the 2.6.34.7 one. To work around this, stop the update applet at login, perform the update from Yast.

Actually, I did go to Yast to try and install the last time. It was the 2.6.34.7 update. However, the same thing happened. The first bar in the dialogue box (install progress) completed at 100%. The second bar below it (total progress) never moves. Now, I didn’t leave this one to run overnight, so I don’t know if it is supposed to take a really long time or not. I did let it run for about 15 minutes or so with no movement.

Harpo1