Kernel support for hardware

I find out today that I need a kernel patch for certain Corsair products to work, here you can see the thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/523499-Help-please-Corsair-SCIMITAR-PRO-RGB-Mouse-doesn-t-work-at-all-in-Suse?

Here you can see what the patch adds:

Hi all,
Since I have a Corsair Scimitar PRO RGB that does not works on Linux, I
tried to find a solution doing some research but was not able to find any.

The kernel just complained about not being able to parse one of the report
descriptor items giving back an error -22, enabling the hid debug support I
could get more detailed information from the Kernel that was now reporting
logical range invalid 0xfff 0x7f by hid-core.c

Investigating this issue I also noticed timeout initializing reports
in both my box and my wifes for this and other Corsair new devices
(K65 and K70 RGB Rapidfire) so I also added new device ids and added
common quirks to fix it in drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-quirks.c

In the patchset, the first patch adds support for K65-K70 new RGB
Rapidfire devices and the second one adds a new driver hid-corsair-mouse.c
to fix the Scimitar Pro RGB parsing problem.

And here the patch itself:

I am considering just patching the kernel, but I would need to patch every time we get a new version. So my question is, once a patch to support certain hardware is committed, how it is distributed? Patches to existing kernels (just as we get security patches), or are distributed with new kernel releases only?

To know what to expect and get an idea of the timeline. Pretty stumped here.

I understand that there is more control on what actually gets into the kernel than most os software but this and other sources go through what to do.

https://kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html

There may be some way of automating an inclusion that wont be stamped on by update but I needed to use one for a web cam years ago and couldn’t find any way of doing that. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t one though.

John

Thank your for your answer. The patch isn’t mine, though. It was already submitted when I found out the issue, my question is what we can expect after that?

I searched online, there is 0 resources such as “Questions and Answers” regarding timeliness and how support for hardware is distributed. Going back to my question, anyone knows if once patches are committed, to support fairly popular hardware… How is is distributed? Patches to existing kernels (so we would get in our present distro) – Or we would be wasting our time expecting any support? That is, only would be distributed in future kernels, and not to existing ones?

Please anyone knows? Anyone knows folks working in the kernel who could answer that?

This sort of thing should have reference Q&A, so users would know what to expect, this is like waiting for a driver, you want to know when or even if is going to be available at all for current distros.

You might be best to ask this question via one of the openSUSE Mailing Lists (where the developers and maintainers hang out)… the opensuse-kernel mailing list perhaps

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_lists_subscription#Available_mailing_lists

Just about all open source evolves because some one wants to add something to it or in some cases create some piece of software. The people who do the work aren’t as organised as people might think. They come and go for one thing and a lot of work is done on the basis that some one wants to add a particular feature to some piece of software or feels like doing the sort of software that is needed for a particular area.

So what you are asking for often isn’t possible and any changes will generally only be added to the next latest greatest because that is where the majority of people will want to work. All we can hope for on major things such as desktops is some sort of road map but we still can’t be sure how it will finish up. The so called teams are ever changing and the aims may also evolve.

Drivers are a case of some one who is capable of writing them feeling like doing it. In some cases manufactures feel like doing it or as I have read in HP’s case people who work there feel like doing it in their spare time.

One problem area is that people don’t earn anything from writing OS software and need to do something else to live. Donations work for a while but tail off over time. There is a good video by a linux person on youtube called “why linux stinks” that outlines it’s problems but those make it what it is and is why it offers more choice than windows or mac.

As mentioned the mailing lists are the best way of influencing things or sometimes direct contact with who ever wrote or now maintains what ever it is.

John