Kernel panics randomly, dont know how to solve this

i am on the kernel 6.8.2-1-default and its keeps panicking randomly i tried using the older kernel but it also does the same thing, it has started doing this recently, i am on a laptop with a rtx3050 and using the nvidia proprietary drivers 550.67 and i dont know what to do

Booted to the previous kernel does no such thing? If it does, run a RAM tester (e.g. memtest86 or memtest86+) for many hours (overnight or longer is better), to be sure failure is given plenty opportunity to be exposed.

Booting to the previous kernel still does not fix the issue i ran memtest for 4 hours and it did not get any error any idea what to do now.

How many passes completed in that 4 hours? With a large RAM size, it takes proportionally longer than with less. If you didn’t get in at least 4 full passes, you may not have run it long enough.

Depending on how new and/or the model of your CPU, there may be a command line option that could be necessary.

It did 2 full passes and a half pass, i have 16 gb ram and my cpu is ryzen 7 4800H should i run memtest for 4 passes?

The more you do, the greater the confidence you can have that your problem is elsewhere. I usually do 4 or more.

Ok i will run memtest overnight.

i did run memtest86+ overnight and it did 5 passes and zero error so it is not a memory issue any idea what the cause of the kernel panic might be.

Setup kexec & kdump:

You might need the 6.7.4 kernel or prior for kexec to work (depending on the CPU, seems to affect Ryzen mostly), there’s a kernel regression after that point that should be fixed with the next stable release.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.