Kernel can't see all of 3TiB hard drive

I have a 3TiB drive installed, but my Linux can only see 2.73TiB of it. 746.52 GB cannot be seen, and goes unused.

Is there any way to get the kernel to be able to use all of this drive?

AFAIK this is not an error. The manufacturers of the drives reason that 1 GB = 1000 MB and so on, instead of 1 GB = 1024 MB and so on. That’s why they use TiB, GiB instead of TB, GB

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary those the do and those that don’t rotfl!

Hmmm. I have noticed that, off and on, at times.:wink:

AFAIK this is not an error. The manufacturers of the drives reason that 1 GB = 1000 MB and so on, instead of 1 GB = 1024 MB and so on. That’s why they use TiB, GiB instead of TB, GB

Well that answer is a red herring if I ever saw one. I wasn’t asking about TiB vs TB etc., I was wondering why I couldn’t format a large portion of unused space at the end of the drive. No matter, as I finally discovered that the reason was too many secondary (nomenclature?) partitions, two small junk partitions had to be removed first. Now I can use gparted to move and create partitions. Problem solved.

Thanks anyway.

There are some who understand the questions, and some who don’t.

and there are some who post technical facts with their questions and some who don’t.

In other words, you saying that the disk has size X, but only size Y (where Y < X) is usable by the system is only small talk when you do not add to it things like

fdisk -l

and/or other technical prove. Nobody here is clairvoyant. Most will distrust any jumped to conclusions posted here.

Makers tend to use base 1000 to pump up there drive size where as utilities tend to use base 1024 which is power of two ie binary which gives smaller number for the same size drive. So no this is not a read herring it it is binary math.:wink:

Hi
First without si units, second with…

df -kh /dev/sdb1
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1       932G  130G  802G  14% /backup

df -kH /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1       1.0T  139G  861G  14% /backup

Looking at a 1T disk that I am using, I get:

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors

If I multiply that 931.5 by 3, I do get slightly more than you were able to use. But the missing amount seems smallish.

No matter, as I finally discovered that the reason was too many secondary (nomenclature?) partitions, two small junk partitions had to be removed first. Now I can use gparted to move and create partitions. Problem solved.

If you have secondary partitions, then you are using MBR partitioning. There are technical problems with MBR partitioning on 3T disks, unless you base the partitioning on a sector size greater than 512 bytes. For 3T, you are better off with GPT partitioning.

Hi!

It is about math yes. Interesting from Malcolm about SI (and not) in df command. I’m happy anyway. I bought a 4 TB HD 3 weeks ago, for be used in my main server. Should It work with my old(2011) MB and 42.2? After update to the latest bios the hw reported 1.8TB but Leap42.2 reading 3.6TB :stuck_out_tongue:

df -kh /dev/sda4
/dev/sda4       3,6T  723G  2,9T  20% /home

df -kH /dev/sda4
/dev/sda4       4,0T  777G  3,2T  20% /home

Also:

fdisk -l /dev/sda4
Disk /dev/sda4: 3,6 TiB, 3912536948736 bytes, 7641673728 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

In above fdisk command it actually says 3912536948736 bytes ~4 000 000 000 000 bytes.

Regards