Kernel 3.2 DMAR errors and nvidia black screen

Just a note that installing the 3.2 kernel from tumbleweed will cause an infinite loop when trying to shutdown your system, and produce pages of errors with DMAR… when you boot. Also, the nvidia driver, installed the hard way of course, seems to fail and cause a black screen after reboot on my laptop.

To fix both problems insert “intel_iommu=off” into your boot parameters. It is only a workaround until a fix is included in later versions of the 3.2 kernel.

Thanks for the workaround sunscape.

Not everyone will have this problem e.g. I installed the kernel and had no problem with the shutdown, the reboot or with Nvidia installation.

Maybe you had an issue related to your specific hardware, or have you seen this issue in other posts? Whatever, it’s good that you reported the workaround for others who might face the issues you faced.

So I have compiled kernel 3.2 into both openSUSE 12.1 and 11.4 (outside of Tumbleweed) with the nVIDIA driver without any issues. After looking up “intel_iommu=off”, it seems related somehow to Intel Virtulization in the chipset and can be affected by your present BIOS version. It is possible to disabling VM support in your BIOS or doing a BIOS update might fix the issue though you need VM support enabled in your BIOS for most VM applications like VirtualBox. I do have a Intel CPU and chipset in both PC’s and I use a VM in one of them. So, it seems to be an issue with some hardware based on Intel chipsets and CPU’s and so perhaps more info on your exact PC hardware is in order.

Thank You,

I updated my Sandbox PC to the 3.2 kernel in Tumbleweed with no shutdown problem nor a problem with the properietary nVidia driver.

This ‘Sandbox PC’ has an ancient MSI KT3 Ultra (KT333) motherboard with a 32-bit athlon-1100 CPU, 2GB RAM, and a nVidia AGP FX5200 graphic card. I installed the proprietary nVidia 173.14.31 graphic driver with this 3.2 kernel with no problem. There are no shutdown problems with the 3.2 kernel on this desktop.

Still it has not always been so rosey and with the 3.0 kernel I needed to switch splash off in order to shutdown properly with this desktop.

Its good to know of the “intel_iommu=off” workaround when updating Tumbleweed kernel on our equally ancient GNU/Linux User’s group laptop, in case the boot code is needed.

This bug report seems to explain the problem I was having. The hardware described is very similar to what I have in my sony vpcz1 laptop.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/894070

In the fix it mentions a ricoh multifunction device, which I have. iommu does in fact impact virtualization and I also have that enabled in my bios. It can be turned off easily, but the problem hasn’t fixed everyone’s problems.
[Phoronix] Did Your System Take A Dive With Linux 3.2?](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAzNzk)

For

I also have those problems and the solution worked perfect.
I have A Lenova T520 with intel graphics not nvidea

I also faced this problem on my dell latitude e6510 intel i7 nvidia NVS 3100N, and it happened installing the 3.3.0-16-desktop kernel on tumbleweed, the workaround works, but I don’t know about virtualbox, I will test

FWIW: Virtualbox worked for me once I was able to log into openSUSE with the KDE GUI (or in other words: once I ran the script).

Now I have my touchpad working softly, cpu temperature sensors seems to works, vitualbox not, running the setup it failed:

pla@linux-2fe4:~> su
Password: 
linux-2fe4:/home/pla # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                                        done
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                                           done
Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module                                              done
Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module                                              done
Removing old VirtualBox kernel module                                                     done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS                               failed
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                                                     failed
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
linux-2fe4:/home/pla # 

On 04/01/2012 06:26 PM, pier andreit wrote:
>
> swerdna;2452788 Wrote:
>> FWIW: Virtualbox worked for me once I was able to log into openSUSE with
>> the KDE GUI (or in other words: once I ran the script).
> Now I have my touchpad working softly, cpu temperature sensors seems to
> works, vitualbox not, running the setup it failed:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> pla@linux-2fe4:~> su
> Password:
> linux-2fe4:/home/pla # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
> WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
> Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules done
> Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules done
> Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module done
> Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module done
> Removing old VirtualBox kernel module done
> Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed
> (Failed, trying without DKMS)
> Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules failed
> (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
> linux-2fe4:/home/pla #
>
> --------------------
>
>
What do you see in the file vbox-install ?

Regards
swerdna

something like this:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -C /lib/modules/3.3.0-16-desktop/build modules
make -C /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16-obj/x86_64/desktop \
KBUILD_SRC=/usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16 \
KBUILD_EXTMOD="/tmp/vbox.0" -f /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/Makefile \
modules
test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
echo;								\
echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
echo "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo;								\
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -C /lib/modules/3.3.0-16-desktop/build modules
modules
echo;								\
echo "         include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
echo;								\
/bin/false)
make -f /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.VBoxPci-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.6/include -I/usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/arch/x86/include -Iarch/x86/include/generated -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/include -include /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/include/linux/kconfig.h   -I/tmp/vbox.0 -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_FXSAVEQ=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=2048 -fno-stack-protector -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fomit-frame-pointer -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -fno-inline-functions-called-once -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fconserve-stack -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -include /tmp/vbox.0/include/VBox/SUPDrvMangling.h   -I/lib/modules/3.3.0-16-desktop/build/include   -I/tmp/vbox.0/   -I/tmp/vbox.0/include   -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux   -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxpci/   -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxpci/include   -I/tmp/vbox.0/vboxpci/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DVBOX_WITH_64_BITS_GUESTS  -DMODULE  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(VBoxPci_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxpci)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/.tmp_VBoxPci-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxPciLinuxInit’:
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c:149:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘iommu_found’ -Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c: In function ‘vboxPciOsInitVm’:
/tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxPci-linux.c:989:9: error: too few arguments to function ‘iommu_domain_alloc’
/usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/include/linux/iommu.h:83:29: note: declared here
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

make[4]: *** [/tmp/vbox.0/linux/VBoxPci-linux.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.0] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [vboxpci] Error 2

the whole file is here
ciao :slight_smile: pier

I would do as it asks:
open a terminal window, su to become as root:

cd /usr/src/linux
make oldconfig && make prepare

Then try again: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

That should work. We sort of did such to get the NVIDIA blob installed and compiled. After that I had no issues recompiling the vbox driver.

I did, but no success:

pla@linux-2fe4:~> su
Password: 
linux-2fe4:/home/pla # cd /usr/src/linu
bash: cd: /usr/src/linu: No such file or directory
linux-2fe4:/home/pla # cd /usr/src/linux
linux-2fe4:/usr/src/linux # make oldconfig && make prepare
scripts/kconfig/conf --oldconfig Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
linux-2fe4:/usr/src/linux # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                                        done
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules                                           done
Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module                                              done
Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module                                              done
Removing old VirtualBox kernel module                                                     done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS                               failed
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules                                                     failed
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
linux-2fe4:/usr/src/linux # 

the vbox-install.log says this, at first glance seems the same…:

modules
echo;								\
echo;								\
/bin/false)
make -f /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0

the whole file is here

ciao :slight_smile: Pier

There have been so many negative stories about the proprietary nVidia driver (generic statements) easily working with the latest 3.2 kernel, that it has me puzzling if I should try updating my Sandbox PC (running Tumbleweed) to the latest kernel. The old AGP nVidia FX5200 I have on my sandbox uses the nvidia proprietary nVidia 173.14.31 driver.

The nouveau graphic driver does not work with the FX5200 and the nv graphic driver has a long accepted limitation (via a bug) that its max resolution is 1024x768 (my card/display combo is capable of 1600x1200). I find updating the proprietary nvidia graphic driver (using the manual method (used to be called the hardway)) nominally easy, as I have done it so many times, I can practically do it in my sleep.

But all the reports of incompatibility refer to the 295.33 (or similar) nVidia proprietary drivers for more current hardware while I use the older legacy nVidia 173.14.31 driver. Has anyone tried the nVidia 173.14.31 driver recently with tumbleweed’s latest kernels ?

Also, I don’t know how relevant to this and other nvidia proprietary driver threads, but I note this caution on the nvidia forum: Heads up: Sync-to-vblank will be enabled by default soon - nV News Forums

On 04/02/2012 08:06 PM, pier andreit wrote:
>
> swerdna;2452883 Wrote:
>> I would do as it asks:
>> open a terminal window, su to become as root:
>>>
> Code:
> --------------------
> > > cd /usr/src/linux
> > make oldconfig&& make prepare
> --------------------
>>>
>> Then try again: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
> I did, but no success:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> pla@linux-2fe4:~> su
> Password:
> linux-2fe4:/home/pla # cd /usr/src/linu
> bash: cd: /usr/src/linu: No such file or directory
> linux-2fe4:/home/pla # cd /usr/src/linux
> linux-2fe4:/usr/src/linux # make oldconfig&& make prepare
> scripts/kconfig/conf --oldconfig Kconfig
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all’.
> CHK include/linux/version.h
> CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
> CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> linux-2fe4:/usr/src/linux # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
> WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
> Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules done
> Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules done
> Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module done
> Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module done
> Removing old VirtualBox kernel module done
> Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed
> (Failed, trying without DKMS)
> Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules failed
> (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
> linux-2fe4:/usr/src/linux #
>
> --------------------
>
> the vbox-install.log says this, at first glance seems the same…:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -C /lib/modules/3.3.0-16-desktop/build modules
> make -C /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16-obj/x86_64/desktop
> KBUILD_SRC=/usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16
> KBUILD_EXTMOD="/tmp/vbox.0" -f /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/Makefile
> modules
> test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
> echo;
> echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
> echo " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
> echo " Run ‘make oldconfig&& make prepare’ on kernel src to fix it.";
> echo;
> /bin/false)
> mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
> make -f /usr/src/linux-3.3.0-16/scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
> --------------------
>
> the whole ‘file is here’ (http://paste.opensuse.org/96120192)
>
> ciao :slight_smile: Pier
>
>
Got me puzzled. What return do you get from these commands:

• rpm -qa | grep irtual
  • cat /etc/SuSE-release
  • rpm -qa | egrep “sysvinit-init|systemd-sysvinit”
  • zypper lr -d

Regards
swerdna

here are:
rpm -qa | grep irtual

pla@linux-2fe4:~> uname -r
3.3.0-16-desktop
pla@linux-2fe4:~> 

pla@linux-2fe4:~> rpm -qa | grep irtual
VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.6_74713_openSUSE114-1.x86_64

cat /etc/SuSE-release

pla@linux-2fe4:~> cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
VERSION = 12.1
CODENAME = Asparagus

rpm -qa | egrep “sysvinit-init|systemd-sysvinit”

pla@linux-2fe4:~> rpm -qa | egrep "sysvinit-init|systemd-sysvinit"
systemd-sysvinit-37-3.11.1.x86_64

zypper lr -d
this is quite long but practically only these are active:
the kde4.8 repos
3 | KDE48-extra_12.1
4 | KDE48_base_12.1
5 | KDE48_unstable_playground_12.1
8 | agg-12.1 >>>where I put rpms to install
17 | driver_samsung_da_debian >>>where I put some drivers for my printer
and the tumbleweed repos

pla@linux-2fe4:~> zypper lr -d
#  | Alias                              | Name                                    | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type     | URI                                                                                               | Service
---+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+----------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | KDE47                              | KDE47 base 12.1                         | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/47/openSUSE_12.1/                         |        
 2 | KDE47-extra_12.1                   | KDE47 extra 12.1                        | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_47_openSUSE_12.1/                |        
 3 | KDE48-extra_12.1                   | KDE48 extra 12.1                        | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_48_openSUSE_12.1/                |        
 4 | KDE48_base_12.1                    | KDE48 base 12.1                         | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/48/openSUSE_12.1/                         |        
 5 | KDE48_unstable_playground_12.1     | KDE48 unstable playground 12.1          | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Unstable:/Playground/KDE_Release_48_openSUSE_12.1/ |        
 6 | KDE_unstable_playground_12.1       | KDE47 unstable playground 12.1          | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Unstable:/Playground/KDE_Release_47_openSUSE_12.1/ |        
 7 | Updates-for-openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4 | Updates for openSUSE 12.1 12.1-1.4      | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.1/                                                         |        
 8 | agg-12.1                           | agg-12.1                                | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | plaindir | dir:///dati/agg-12.1                                                                              |        
 9 | download.nvidia.com-opensuse       | nVidia Graphics Drivers                 | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.1/                                                          |        
10 | download.opensuse.org-Apps         | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps      | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_12.1/                              |        
11 | download.opensuse.org-Extra        | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra       | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.1/                               |        
12 | download.opensuse.org-Stable       | openSUSE BuildService - LibreOffice     | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/LibreOffice:/Stable/openSUSE_12.1/                      |        
13 | download.opensuse.org-UpdatedApps  | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:UpdatedApps | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/UpdatedApps/openSUSE_12.1/                         |        
14 | download.opensuse.org-Wine         | openSUSE BuildService - Wine CVS Builds | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_12.1/                          |        
15 | download.opensuse.org-filesystems  | openSUSE BuildService - filesystems     | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/filesystems/openSUSE_12.1/                              |        
16 | download.opensuse.org-oss          | Main Repository (Sources)               | No      | Yes     |   99     | yast2    | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/12.1/repo/oss/                                   |        
17 | driver_samsung_da_debian           | driver samsung da debian                | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | plaindir | dir:///dati/agg/driver-samsung-bchemnet/rpm/                                                      |        
18 | libreoffice_unstable_tumbleweed    | libreoffice unstable tumbleweed         | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/LibreOffice:/Unstable/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/              |        
19 | openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4             | openSUSE-12.1-12.1-1.4                  | No      | No      |   99     | yast2    | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-MATSHITA_DVD+_-RW_UJ892_HH24_397581,/dev/sr0                   |        
20 | opensuse-guide.org-repo            | libdvdcss repository                    | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/12.1/                                                              |        
21 | packman.inode.at-suse              | Packman Repository                      | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://packman.inode.at/suse/12.1/                                                                |        
22 | repo-debug                         | openSUSE-12.1-Debug                     | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE     | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/12.1/repo/oss/                                    |        
23 | repo-debug-update                  | openSUSE-12.1-Update-Debug              | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE     | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.1/                                                   |        
24 | repo-non-oss                       | openSUSE-12.1-Non-Oss                   | No      | Yes     |   99     | yast2    | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.1/repo/non-oss/                                      |        
25 | repo-oss                           | openSUSE-12.1-Oss                       | No      | Yes     |   99     | yast2    | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.1/repo/oss/                                          |        
26 | repo-source                        | openSUSE-12.1-Source                    | No      | Yes     |   99     | NONE     | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/12.1/repo/oss/                                   |        
27 | suse_contrib_factory_12.1(recoll)  | suse contrib factory 12.1(recoll)       | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Factory:/Contrib/openSUSE_12.1                |        
28 | tumbleweed-packman                 | tumbleweed-packman                      | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed                                                  |        
29 | tumbleweed-suse_non_oss_current    | tumbleweed-suse non oss current         | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2    | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/non-oss/                          |        
30 | tumbleweed-suse_oss_current        | tumbleweed-suse oss current             | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2    | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/oss/                              |        
31 | tumbleweed-suse_standard           | tumbleweed-suse standard                | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/                          |        
32 | tumbleweed-suse_update_current     | tumbleweed-suse update current          | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/update/openSUSE-current/                                             |        
33 | z-syntron_12.1(pykaraoke)          | z-syntron 12.1(pykaraoke)               | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md   | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/syntron/openSUSE_12.1_Update_standard/   

but reading here "Setting “intel_iommu=off” though disables Intel VT-d / I/O virtualization support. (On many systems you can also disable Intel VT-d from the BIOS/UEFI. Or you could also just stick to the Linux 3.1 kernel or older if you really don’t care.) This feature on modern Intel hardware seems to be rather problematic with the Linux 3.2 kernel. " so without virtualization support virtualbox souldn’t work, or I’m wrong?

Ciao :slight_smile: Pier

The repos look OK, not a conflict there.

You could delete the RPM systemd-sysvinit (that will auto install the alternative: sysvinit-init). There are some issues with systemd-sysvinit
The version of VirtualBox is not the current version so you should upgrade (in case the new kernel and the old VBox are mismatched), currently it’s 4.1-4.1.12_77218 whereas you have 4.1-4.1.6_74713

I also saw today on the factory mailing list an issue where Vbox didn’t work with the 3.3 kernel due to the underlying file system BTRFS, you’re not using that are you?

but reading here "Setting “intel_iommu=off” though disables Intel VT-d / I/O virtualization support. (On many systems you can also disable Intel VT-d from the BIOS/UEFI. Or you could also just stick to the Linux 3.1 kernel or older if you really don’t care.) This feature on modern Intel hardware seems to be rather problematic with the Linux 3.2 kernel. " so without virtualization support virtualbox souldn’t work, or I’m wrong?

I don’t know whether you need the intel virtualization on. I always have it on (without thinking why).

Do you have a typo: here you mention 3.2 kernel but uname -r shows you have 3.3?

No, no BTRFS here