Kernel 3.0

Thanks! =D

On 07/14/2011 05:06 PM, Stormchoir wrote:
>
> robopensuse;2364575 Wrote:
>> Works nice for me on 2 boxen, i686& AMD64. OTOH rc6 is crashing for
>> some ppl and there’s USB issues. The “When is next Release of openSUSE”
>> thread has some links to openSUSE kernel mail list on USB& oops issues.

I have been running 3.0 since -rc1. A few problems with the early stuff, but
quite solid since -rc3. I did not see the crashes with rc6.

Running 3.0 kernels since its first availability. Currently, running 3.0.0rc7-1 on two (2) openSUSE 11.3 boxes, 1 32-bit and 1 64-bit, both KDE and Gnome. On an openSUSE 11.4 enviroment, running 3.0.0rc5, as 3.0.0rc7 and Gnome3 do not seem to play well together. (Currently continuing testing, which is difficult without the Network Manager. Will bugzilla either to the Kernel or Gnome3 folks). Kernel 3.0.0rc5 and 11.4 seem satisfactory with Gnome3, and Gnome 2/KDE works well.

One annoying problem with the 3.0 kernel appears to be associated with the Intel integrated audio: at boot, it seems to turn the internal microphone amplifer all the way up, with resultant feedback from almost everything! This seems to occur during kernel initialization, specifically at “Loading drivers”. The problem does NOT occurs on any other sound combination, nor with an external mic attached. (Yes, I will report this, but it is not the most important item on the to-do list). Alsamixer turns the mic amplifier down quite nicely.

As previously mentioned in this thread, 3.0.0rc6 did have a few glitches, and after a few tests/boots, I just skipped over it to rc7.

How would one go about updating to the 3.0 kernel?

You can download the source and build yourself

or this repo
Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard

Enable multiversion though before you add Kernel:HEAD repo though!

# grep multiversion /etc/zypp/zypp.conf
##      provides:multiversion(kernel)   - all packages providing 'multiversion(kernel)'
# multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

Might be worth reading the thread on mail list to - [opensuse-kernel] 3.0-rc7, pretty please?

Seems like http://download.opensuse.org/factory-tested/repo/ is still stuck on 9th July, so any fix for recent oS kernels hasn’t made it’s way through Factory yet…

Kernel 3.0.0rc7-2.1 corrects the Gnome3 problem mentioned earlier. (Saved submission of a bug already solved!). 3.0.0rc7-2 appears very smooth with Gnome3; Gnome and KDE later today, on 11.3 and 11.4.

It appears that the Kernel/HEAD repositories have completed the long-awaited re-organization party.

I should build it myself so I keep in the habit of still be able to do so.=D

I should build it myself so I keep in the habit of still be able to do so.=D

And, if you do want to compile your own kernel, don’t forget about using sakc!

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.50 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Ok here goes nothing.

Ok everything works and works even better then before EXCEPT my broadcom wifi. It crapped out on me so if anyone has a work around for this before I find it then please let me know.

Ok everything works and works even better then before EXCEPT my  broadcom wifi. It crapped out on me so if anyone has a work around for  this before I find it then please let me know.                 

You need to tell us the model, or chipset and how it connects (built-in, usb, pci). I have a script that can help dig up some info and its helpful to know the internal manufacturer number and model number. Here is the script in message #9:

netinfo - Read Network & PC Information into a Local Text File - Page 2

Here is what my hard wired adapter says:

Vendor: pci 0x10ec "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd."
  Device: pci 0x8168 "RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"

You can look up the exact hardware with these numbers.

Thank You,

Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g =D

You actual device (fetched from another thread is)

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc.Device[105b:e01b]Kernel driver in use: wl

I have the same device and for me only the ‘wl’ driver (as you have here) will work.

The b43 is a possible, and to try it do the following:

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43

On 07/15/2011 11:06 PM, caf4926 wrote:
>
> You actual device (fetched from another thread is)
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> 04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4315] (rev 01)Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc.Device[105b:e01b]Kernel driver in use: wl
> --------------------
>
>
> I have the same device and for me only the ‘wl’ driver (as you have
> here) will work.
>
> The b43 is a possible, and to try it do the following:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware
> --------------------
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /sbin/modprobe -rv b43
> --------------------
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo /sbin/modprobe -v b43
> --------------------

With kernel 3.0, the BCM4312 will work with b43 once the firmware is installed.

Kernel 3.0 appears to have been released today (Friday 7-22-11): http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.0/linux-3.0.tar.bz2

Also,

nVIDIA driver 275.21 (64 bit) has been released you can find here: NVIDIA - Download Drivers

OR

nVIDIA driver 275.21 (32 bit) has been released you can find here: NVIDIA - Download Drivers

Thank You,

Kernel 3.0.0-1 is in Index of /repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/standard

I have installed kernel Linux 3.0.0-0.5-desktop x86_64 as it comes up on my openSUSE 11.4 Desktop using KDE. And I have installed the 64 bit nVIDIA driver 275.21 and all is working properly for me. The desktop does seem fast. I guess I am not sure if any bugs made it into the final release that we can list here. It is worth reading about kernel 3.0 from the H:

Linux kernel 3.0 released - The H Open Source: News and Features
http://www.h-online.com/imgs/43/6/6/8/6/5/0/tux30_200-b071bcfdbe856fa2.png

Anyone who would like to compile their own copy should look to here:

S.A.K.C. - SUSE Automated Kernel Compiler - Version 2.50 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

They got to 3.0.0-2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jul 22 19:29:25 UTC 2011 (bbe1cb6) x86_64 already, rpm kernel-desktop-3.0.0-2.1.x86_64 :slight_smile:
Rather than self-compile, most ppl can conveniently use Kernel:HEAD, Kernel:stable which also constains vanilla “Linus” kernels if you don’t want SuSE patches.

Before updating remember to set multiversion kernel though, just in case!

# grep multiversion /etc/zypp/zypp.conf
##      provides:multiversion(kernel)   - all packages providing 'multiversion(kernel)'
# multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

I’ve installed the 3.0 kernel and lost broadcom wifi, too, Here’s netinfo

Model: "Broadcom Network controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x14e4 "Broadcom"
  Device: pci 0x4727

When I try manually compile the driver downloaded from Broadcom itself I get

linux-y70s:/home/stan/hybrid_wl # make
KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/stan/Kernel/linux-3.0'
  CC [M]  /home/stan/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o
/home/stan/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c: In function ‘wl_attach’:
/home/stan/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:485:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_MUTEX’
make[2]: *** [/home/stan/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/stan/hybrid_wl] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stan/Kernel/linux-3.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
linux-y70s:/home/stan/hybrid_wl #

I’ve only used “make” three or four times in my life and so have no idea what exactly went wrong, please be kind to a noob.

B43 page, b43 - Linux Wireless also offers brcm80211 - Linux Wireless as an alternative. Is it worth trying?