Kernel 2.6.37 won't boot

I received a kernel update a few days ago. When I try to boot with kernel 2.6.37, I get a few errors saying that a volume couldn’t be mounted and that /lib/modules/2.6.37-desktop/modules.dep couldn’t be found. I’m then left with a minimal terminal prompt.

Is this a common problem? If not, I’ll try to take a picture of the error so that you can see exactly what happened. I can still boot with kernel 2.6.34 like I could before the update.

Are you trying to use kernel Linux 2.6.37 with openSUSE 11.3 or with the hole development version (openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 5 of 6 or factory or factory-tested)?

Where have you got the newest kernel from? I am now writing form an system with 2.6.37-desktop but it is the non-stable development version (factory-tested).

puzzled
pistazienfresser

Woah… how did that happen? You brought up an interesting point: I don’t subscribe to unstable repositories. But my current kernel-desktop-base package seems to originate from the Tumbleweed repository at obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed, even though I don’t recall subscribing to the rolling release repository. Other kernel-related packages still have 2.6.34.

I’ll just downgrade kernel-desktop-base to the most recent available version (2.6.34) to fix this issue.

http://i.imgur.com/1dFTp.png

VirtualBox seems to be the culprit.

http://i.imgur.com/YPaCD.png

Disable the tumbleweed repo unless you wish to use it (BTW I use it on a test partition, but I updated four kernel related packages). Highlight the package(s) that updated and downgrade it to 2.6.34-0.7.1 with YaST (as shown in your picture) using the radio button under versions.

I’m not subscribed to the tumbleweed repo, so I just reverted the kernel-desktop-base package to the suggested version. I’ll reboot later today.

:slight_smile: I hadn’t seen the virtualbox pic when I posted - they crossed.

???
I do not know anything about virtual box or visualization in general - but could you not use something (a kernel module) that begins with
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop
and is not in the Rolling-Release-Repository (and is not made to work on the '.37 kernel as host-system)?
See: software.opensuse.org: Search Results
???

puzzled
pistazienfresser

I found the open-source edition of VirtualBox in the regular openSUSE repositories, so I no longer need the tumbleweed version of VirtualBox. Dependency conflict solved.

Sounds good.

But maybe you want to prevent something like this in the future, too?
Are you sure that you do not use anything else form Tumbleweed? (-> Item-by-item downgrade or all-in-one repository switch?)
Did you deactivate the Tumbleweed repository?

Have a lot of luck!
pistazienfresser

I will never do a one-click install from the Tumbleweed repo ever again. (Unless I feel safe using unstable software, of course.)

The Tumbleweed repo was never in my repository list. It was used exclusively when I did a one-click install of a bad VirtualBox version. I’m think that there are no more oddities in my package manager, but I don’t know the appropriate zypper command to verify that.

@pdedecker, You can use YaST>Software>Software Repositories to inspect your repos’ status.

I don’t see anything odd.

http://i.imgur.com/MQgoP.png

BTW, for next time, the zypper command to display in a terminal is “zypper lr -d”. Always post that output wrapped in code tags (Go advanced, select text, then click on “#”)

You could disable the original 11.3 cd device entry. I don’t enable debug. Oss and Non-Oss are static, so no need to auto refresh. I usually disable the libdvdcss repo as it hardly ever changes, and any other repos I don’t often use.

While we’re discussing zypper commands… is there a zypper command that prints a list of installed files for a given package?

I’ve enabled the debug repository so that I can download debug symbols when a KDE program segfaults. I usually submit a bug whenever that happens to help the KDE developers (and users) out.

Probably, but I can’t remember it. Have a look here: SDB: Zypper usage 11.3

I did go through the wiki and I glanced over the manpage, but I didn’t find anything. Ah well, I’ll make a separate thread for that if I really need it.

BTW, you can do it with an rpm query command:

rpm -ql *name-of-the-package

Good tip… I almost forgot about the existence of the rpm command. I remember using it long ago back when openSUSE and Fedora couldn’t detect my WiFi card out of the box, but since then I’ve been using zypper (openSUSE) and apt-get (Ubuntu) for all my package managing needs. Thanks man!

Hey, you’re welcome. I almost forgot it. :slight_smile: