kdm4 version ? display manager editor ?

(I feel :shame: asking this but : )
In /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager I have display manager set to “kdm4”.
But how can I find the exact version of kdm I’m using ?

(And probably asked a thousand times : )
Is there a gui to change/customise the login screen ? Where ?

Hi,

This will give you an EXACT package number

rpm -qa --last "*kdm*"

for example mine is kde4-kdm-4.2.71.svn961800-7.1

As for the login screen, open Configure Desktop (Personal Settings) then click the advanced tab. Under system choose Login Manager. Here you can customize your login screen. I’m not sure if changing themes works but if you don’t use themes and customize it yourself I know it works. I haven’t done this in a while though so it may have changed.

Good Luck,

Ian

I think this only applies for 4.2.2. As far as I know it is fixed in 4.2.7x (4.3 betas).

You have to go to systemsettings->Advance tab->Login Manager and then go to YaST->System->etc/sysconfig Editor. When that window opens go to Desktop->Display Manager->DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME and change it there as well.

That is the only way I have gotten the KDM themes to work in 4.2.2. Now the sysconfig setting is case sensitive. The theme directory is in usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes. The theme name has to be typed just like the folder is named.

Thanks !

Here I have:
kde4-kdm-4.1.3-10.3.7
So I guess I can report that I’m using kdm 4.1.3 as display manager…

(I also have kde4-kdm-branding-openSUSE-11.1-66.4 returned. Is this a theme package - a default openSUSE 11.1 theme for kdm ?)

What is the general habit to take when trying to find an application version ?
I mean, querying RPM packages inform about what is installed, not what is available for use (think of the “which” command).

:good: I finally found it ! (Forgot to mention I was searching from Gnome desktop)

But… Whatever I click on Cancel or Ok to leave this KDE window, I get a error saying “Command ‘/usr/bin/kcmshell4 kdm --lang fr’ not found” ???

Yes it is, you can choose between that or the upstream version.

What is the general habit to take when trying to find an application version ?
I mean, querying RPM packages inform about what is installed, not what is available for use (think of the “which” command).

I’m not sure. Usually I’ll go into Yast to see. Or open the program and see the about for version number.

But… Whatever I click on Cancel or Ok to leave this KDE window, I get a error saying “Command ‘/usr/bin/kcmshell4 kdm --lang fr’ not found” ???

I’m not sure what that’s all about. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

Take Care,

Ian

In KDE 4.1.3 the login theme had to be changed by hand. The login manager didn’t work.

You can try the second part of my previous post (The YaST part). I think that will change the theme. It has been a little while since I used 4.1.3.

It’s not just the theme that doesn’t work, but nothing at all.
For a test, I tried to change the background and the logo to clock. After a re-boot, I was faced to the same login screen, no changes applied.

To me, it looks like the Login Manager is trying to use the WRONG configuration file :open_mouth:

A bit of a mess, I reckon.
So let me try to explain further more…

When I installed openSUSE 11.0 (it was a fresh new install), I selected KDE as default desktop; and so, kdm was installed as display manager. But because of the immature state of KDE 4.0, I then added Gnome and use the Gnome desktop since then. Still, the display manager is kdm4.

As I’m hunting problems on my current installation (updated to 11.1), I found that one of them (re-booting from Gnome just log me out; see: Shutdown/restart from Gnome just log me out - openSUSE Forums and bug #443514 ) is probably linked to permission/PolicyKit/ConsoleKit AND/OR dialog with gdm/kdm. So I decided to have an eye on kdm.

The first issue for me was to find how to report which version of the display manager (kdm) I was using (now I know :wink: ).
The second issue is to find where it is configured.

I finally found the Login Manager (thanks to the help of ijbreakey :slight_smile: ) from Gnome: Menu bar > More applications, scroll down the applications list and select System configuration, select the Advanced tab and then Login Manager.

But as the Login Manager opened, I could see that the values were wrong. For example: the language was set to English (GB) whereas my login screen is in French, the backgroung image was pointing to .directory (??) and previewed the default_blue background whereas the background I can see at login is the default openSUSE one (I think). Then, after trying some changes and quit, I got the error: “Command ‘/usr/bin/kcmshell4 kdm --lang fr’ not found”. (Note: /usr/bin/kcmshell4 DOES exist.)

THAT makes me think the Login Manager is NOT using the real configuration settings for my current display manager.

Should I have tried to use the Login Manager from KDE ONLY ?
Is there another way I can configure it from Gnome ?

What is the file I should look for to see the configuration settings I’m using ?

Just tried the kcmshell4 from console, as root (su -):
(Sections which don’t seem problematic are cut-out and replaced by … ])

Linux1:~ # /usr/bin/kcmshell4 kdm --lang fr
WARNING: field 'http://strigi.sf.net/ontologies/0.9#debugParseError' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
/usr/lib/strigi/strigila_deb.so

... ]

/usr/lib/strigi/strigita_avi.so: undefined symbol: strigiAnalyzerFactory

... ]

/usr/lib/strigi/strigita_wav.so: undefined symbol: strigiAnalyzerFactory
/usr/lib/strigi/strigita_xbm.so
WARNING: field 'maxLineLength' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'line ending format' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'dds volume depth' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'dds mipmap count' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'dds image type' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'font.family' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'font.weight' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'font.slant' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'font.width' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'font.spacing' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'font.foundry' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'content.version' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'document.stats.image_count' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'document.stats.image_name' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'document.stats.image_shared_rows' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'Product Id' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'Events' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'Journals' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'Todos' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'Todos Completed' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'Todos Overdue' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'email.from' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'email.to' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'message.subject' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'content.creation_time' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'email.content_type' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'vcf.name' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'vcf.email' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'vcf.telephone' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'ole.category' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'ole.presentationtarget' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'ole.manager' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'ole.company' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'document.stats.table_count' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'document.stats.object_count' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
WARNING: field 'http://rdf.openmolecules.net/0.9#moleculeCount' is not defined in any rdfs ontology database.
loading writer for key  "http://freedesktop.org/standards/xesam/1.0/core#sourceModified" 

... ]

kcmshell4: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libldap-2.4.so.2: undefined symbol: ldap_int_tls_destroy

Curiously, after closing the Login Manager, the error: “Command ‘/usr/bin/kcmshell4 kdm --lang fr’ not found” requester did NOT pop-up (?)

Another report for bugzilla ?

In 4.0 and 4.1.3 the login manager in the system settings was broken, busted, etc.

You have to do it the “hard way” Please see my first post, and follow the instruction for YaST.

Ok. I’ll have an eye on that.

In the meantime, I found this: bug #444800

Ok, that works for allowing to change the kdm settings. :good:
I edited /etc/sysconfig and removed the default “SUSE” that was in Desktop->Display Manager->DISPLAYMANAGER_KDM_THEME
Now, The settings I changed for testing are applied.

(Phew, one more problem solved. Thanks ! :slight_smile: )

@cybertaz

BTW, as this “theme” problem with kdm is still not fixed for openSUSE 11.1, I gave a vote to bug #414197.

It is actually a problem with KDE, not OpenSuse. It is fixed in KDE 4.3, and partially fixed in KDE 4.2.2.

It should be reported in the KDE bugzilla. (which I don’t have the link ATM)

I won’t sign on for KDE bugzilla for now (I try to keep the threads to monitor as few as possible :wink: ).
But thanks for the tip. (If you find the link, I suggest to post it on the openSUSE’s bug report.)

The bug was reported for 4.1.3. Like have said it is fixed for 4.3 So a bug report at this point wouldn’t be much help.

Just to be clear: I didn’t mean to open a new bug, but to try to help closing the still open bug #414197; eventually by reporting any useful tip from KDE’s bugzilla there.

Even if it is a low priority bug, I think it should be fixed for openSUSE 11.1 - KDE 4.1.3 as well. (So if a fix exist for KDE 4.3, it should ideally be back-ported to KDE 4.1.3, if possible; and be available as a bug-fixed update for the regular openSUSE 11.1)

I agree that it should be back ported. KDE 4.x is still a work in progress, and very much so.

BUT, the bug report does show the work around. And it is not a difficult one. It just means that the change needs to be made in a different gui than Login Manager. This can be closed (with work around) or closed (with fix in next version) type of closure.

I think there are more important bugs that need to be fixed than this one, at this point. There is a work around, and it is not a “show stopper” (ie critical). KDE will still run with this bug in place.

I’m not making excuses for the devs (well maybe a little), just trying to point out that there are more important things to deal with right now.

I agree.

just trying to point out that there are more important things to deal with right now.

Indeed ! :wink:

To close this chapter…

bug #444800 (about /usr/bin/kcmshell4 kdm fails - see post #8](http://forums.opensuse.org/install-boot-login/413930-kdm4-version-display-manager-editor.html#post1982415)), seems to be fixed too since KDE 4.2.1.