kde5 questions

I am using kde5 on opensuse 13.2. I alternate my default desktop between kde4 and kde5.

Anyway I wonder if anyone can help me with some kde5 questions:-

1 - I have installed sddm and would like to give it a try. How can I select it as the default? Would it allow me to logon to kde4 (in a similar way that kdm lists all the possible logon options)

2 - I have installed konqueror5. This starts fine and lets me select a webpage from the bookmarks but when I click on a link in the webpage nothing happens. I suspect that I am missing some libs but which.

3 - Although the different yast component parts are listed in the menu there does not seem to be en entry for the yast menu. If I open bash / su / yast2 - this opens fine.

4 - A minor one last. After many year of using opensuse I missed the starting kde sound when the default was changed to no sound - so I always change the settings on kde4 so that I get the sound on start up. The kde5 settings seem similar (to the kde4 ones) but these do not appear to have any affect. I do have kmix5 installed.

Many thanks

I have solved 1 - using sddm as a logon manager (yast / system / etc/sysconfig editor) it logs on fine but when you logoff it doesn’t take you back to the logon screen

Yes, that’s a known problem: pam_gnome_keyring.so freezes session logout · Issue #286 · sddm/sddm · GitHub
As a workaround, uninstall the package gnome-keyring-pam, it doesn’t make sense/is not used with KDE anyway (its purpose is to automatically unlock the GNOME keyring on login).

No. Konqueror5 is just not working at the moment. Use rekonq5 instead… :wink:

I cannot answer the other two at the moment, I will try later to see what I experience.
Regarding YaST, you should at least be able to create a menu entry with the kmenuedit if it is missing.

Konqueror is working here, altough crashy (i’d recommend as wolfi323, either rekonq5, or qupzilla-qt5). Make sure you have kio-extras5 installed.

Which menu is that?

This should in theory work, just make sure you have oxygen5-sounds installed.

Many thanks for the postings.

Can report:

1 - uninstalled gnome-keyring-pam and sddm is now wroking fine (a nice change from kdm)

2 - since there are issues with knoqueror5 I have uninstalled this and am using konqueror4 in kde5 (bonus here is that it brings across previously saved passwords)

3 - my miistake. I went to add a menu entry for yast2 and it was already there

4 - have added oxygen5-sounds but still no logon sound (only a very very minor issue)

Thanks again

Hm, it doesn’t work here, and never did. I can browse directories, but when I enter an URL just nothing happens. (and yes, I do have kio-extras5 installed, from KF5)
Are you using a newer snapshot maybe? Or my package is broken… :wink:

I installed konqueror5 and libKF5Konq6 from KDE:Unstable:Frameworks now and it does indeed work.

But then, I also tried my own packages built for Factory, and with those it works too (well, not really perfect as sumski wrote, but at least it does load something…).

So this seems to have started working only recently I’d say.
My 13.2 packages are built against plain 13.2 at the moment, kde-baseapps5 does not build in particular (needs frameworks 5.4.0 already) so konqueror5 is not the latest version there. I will build this against KF5 too and hope it will “work” then. :wink:

This should in theory work, just make sure you have oxygen5-sounds installed.

I tried now, and it doesn’t work here either.
I can play the sound fine with the test button, but it is just not played on login/logout.

This is with plasma 5.1.1 and the VLC backend.

Actually it seems the notification settings have no effect at all in general.

Actually kwalletd5 should ask on first use whether you want to import KDE4’s wallets, so it’s not really a bonus… :wink:

3 - my miistake. I went to add a menu entry for yast2 and it was already there

Yes, I had a look now and the YaST entry is there in Applications->System, in both Kicker and Kickoff.
In Kicker it’s the last entry, you have to scroll down.
In Kickoff it’s shown as “Control Center” with the default settings (i.e. with “Show Applications by name” deactivated), so maybe that’s why you didn’t find it…

I had a look at Plasma 5 too in a 13.2 sandbox

Decided to stick with kde4

At this rate Plasma 5 will be retired before it’s production ready. JMO

Yeah but remember how unstable kde4 was?
Its okay now.

You could be right

Yep, kde4 was barely usable then when first introduce, unlike the plasma 5 .

Here is a little reminder of how it looked
ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs](ImageShack - kde42pf6.png)

Sucks

This might be better
http://thumbnails78.imagebam.com/3753/43711d37527715.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/43711d37527715)

I must agree. Plasma 5 is far away from usability of the current KDE 4.
I think that new thing should be better than old one, maybe equal, when I start using it.

I tried now, and it doesn't work here either.
 I can play the sound fine with the test button, but it is just not played on login/logout.

This is with plasma 5.1.1 and the VLC backend.

Actually it seems the notification settings have no effect at all in general.

Thanks for trying this and getting the same result as me. I tried first with gstreamer as a backend and then vlc. Like you the system sound test worked fine.

Hm, it doesn't work here, and never did. I can browse directories, but when I enter an URL just nothing happens. (and yes, I do have kio-extras5 installed, from KF5)
 Are you using a newer snapshot maybe? Or my package is broken... //forums.opensuse.org/images/smiliesnew/wink.png

I installed konqueror5 and libKF5Konq6 from KDE:Unstable:Frameworks now and it does indeed work.

But then, I also tried my own packages built for Factory, and with those it works too (well, not really perfect as sumski wrote, but at least it does load something...).

So this seems to have started working only recently I'd say.
 My 13.2 packages are built against plain 13.2 at the moment, kde-baseapps5 does not build in particular (needs frameworks 5.4.0 already) so konqueror5 is not the latest version there. I will build this against KF5 too and hope it will "work" then

I am using konqueror5 from your 13.2 repo with 5.4 from:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2/

since konqueror5 sounds like work in progress am quite happy using konqueror4

I remember kde4 at the start. I was one of the ‘stick with kde 3.5 brigade’. I still install kde 3.5 as a back-up desktop manager just in case I knacker kde4. It does look so old-fashioned these days.

Yes, this doesn’t work either here. As mentioned this is an older version, as the current kde-baseapps5 do not build any more against 13.2 (it needs Frameworks 5.4.0).
I’ll have to start building against KDE:Frameworks5 also for the openSUSE_13.2 repo.

I remember kde4 at the start. I was one of the ‘stick with kde 3.5 brigade’. I still install kde 3.5 as a back-up desktop manager just in case I knacker kde4. It does look so old-fashioned these days.

Right. When I logged into KDE3 some time ago (first time after years), I couldn’t even imagine how I could like this back then… :wink:

I started using KDE4 with 4.1 (although I logged into it from time to time at 4.0 and the Betas before already, just to try it).
But because some people here compared the current Plasma 5 to KDE 4.0: IMHO this it total nonsense. Plasma 5.1 (and 5.0 as well already) is way more usable than KDE 4.0’s Plasma. Anybody that says something else hasn’t tried either of them, I’d say. :stuck_out_tongue:

I started using KDE4 with 4.1 (although I logged into it from time to time at 4.0 and the Betas before already, just to try it).
But because some people here compared the current Plasma 5 to KDE 4.0: IMHO this it total nonsense. Plasma 5.1 (and 5.0 as well already) is _way_ more usable than KDE 4.0's Plasma. Anybody that says something else hasn't tried either of them, I'd say. :P

Completley agree. I am impressed with kde5 and use it more than kde4 now.

Now i remembered; first the login/logout feature was missing, then was added back, but due to some startup problems (delays, etc), it was disabled again -> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335948

Now i remembered; first the login/logout feature was missing, then was added back, but due to some startup problems (delays, etc), it was disabled again -> https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335948

Thanks for confirming.

Ah yes KDE 4.0 the fun! the hair pulls! I’m still bald from that.
Then there’s KF5 yes definitely much better, so far with KF5 I’m keeping what hair I’ve got.

Ok, back to the original topic now… :wink:

My 13.2 repo now builds against KDE:Frameworks5 as well (it took a while to rebuild all packages…).
Therefore I could build kde-baseapps5 again, and it contains the latest git snapshot now.

And konqueror5 “works” now also on 13.2.
As mentioned it is not really stable yet though, so you’d better stay with Konqueror4 for now. But you could at least try it out if you want to.