kde4 slowly but surely

Suse 7.1 - Suse 11.1

The first incarnations of Kde4 were lacking features and difficult to use. It was hard being patient for this great software to mature. I remember going in too deep and upgrading packages before I should have - and blowing my desktop. It took hours to recover. After that it was baby steps. But slowly and surely kde4 has emerged. It is still immature, but I like what I see. Over the past month or two, the rate of change in Suse kde4 packages seems to indicate a lot of work by developers. All credit to them for their commitment and hard work. I look forward to Suse 11.2. It will be a great distro.

Further I hope that Suse developers will be adventurous in bringing us new and novel ideas in our favorite distro. I like speed, fast boot times, new software to explore, while delivering a solid work platform with office tools etc. Package Management has show terrific improvement in recent releases. Zzyper is now very fast.
But the web is changing and we need to change with it. The Desktop distro that we have known may be on the way out, to be replaced with smaller portable devices all interconnected and talking to the “Cloud”. Keeping pace with these changes is no small feat. You have to have your feet in one crowd. Mine are in Suse. I look forward to see how they deal with these challenges.

Since I’m using Gnome, the only thing I want to say is … I hope 11.2 is a great distro because I have found so many flaws and bugs in 11.1 that, it’s getting quite ridiculous.

I think that openSUSE has come on in leaps about bounds over the past three years. I am now using KDE4.2.1 for serious work. I think the pause for 11.2 and then the eight month cycle thereafter could make openSUSE the reference distro by which all others will be judged.

“The Desktop distro that we have known may be on the way out, to be replaced with smaller portable devices all interconnected and talking to the “Cloud”.”

Perhaps, but I doubt it. I have a feeling most people with any computer savvy are not going to be eager to replace their own computers with “internet appliances” and such. I think it may work well for the masses who use computers for email, internet browsing and maybe word processing exclusively, but that’s about it. For instance, most recording studios today use computers for recording. Putting that kind of thing on “the cloud” would be ridiculous.

Positive feedback on kde4 (esp. 4.2) Is now quite common. Which IMO was always going to be the case, even when there was moaning and groaning in the early 4.0 days - It was clear from the outset that something great was about to take place.

Well now it’s here. And seems to be leading the way in the Desktop Environment.

> I have found so many flaws and bugs in 11.1 that, it’s getting quite ridiculous.

how many bug reports have you filed?

free and open software includes the freedom to bitch AND a
responsibility to participate in making the software better…if you
can’t fix the program bugs yourself you should (at the least) report
them to those who can:

http://en.opensuse.org/Submit_a_Bug

doing so will make you a responsible citizen of this community.

have fun

secondary

@secondary
Have you considered registering with Novell. Just an observation, no pressure you understand.
You make a valid point. Bug reports are so important.

@A13kSAk3
The OP was making observations of KDE4 specifically. You comments address a much broader subject and are extremely non-specific. Bug reports can be made here:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

I’m a relative newcomer, my first use was openSUSE 10.1, and I loved it then, but I love it more now!

KDE4 seems to have almost everything KDE3 has now, just waiting on k3b…(I see kubuntu 9.04a6 has the new networkmanager plasmoid!). The openSUSE team as always has given us a beautiful KDE release, and the KDE4.2 one click installs to keep us up to date :slight_smile:

What I hope 11.2 brings is better support for my eeepc701’s tiny tiny screen :slight_smile: