KDE4 is coming of age

I sympathize with Vista.

When I purchased our Dell Studio 1537 laptop in November, we had a choice to get it with either:

• vista pre-installed or
  • winXP pre-installed, or
  • Ubuntu pre-installed (possibly - I could not see how, I searched the Dell Germany web site, and could not find the option)
    My wife 'nixed the Ubuntu idea, as she wanted a version of Windoze on the PC, and she felt an OEM Windoze would be least expensive.

She decided she wanted to try vista, so she told me to get that one and not the winXP version. She now regrets that decision.

I have winXP running in a Virtual Box session under openSUSE, and it runs quite well. HOWEVER, my wife got frustrated last week over some Linux microphone mute issue (that took me 10 seconds to solve, but ended up with her wasting 20 minutes trying to prove my solution could not have been correct, and after the 20 minutes she finally conceded I was correct, but blamed the appearance of the kmix interface). She could not, of course, use the mic under WinXP virtual box until it was fixed in Linux.

Anyway, my wife is still very upset. She has no patience for Linux as she observes it as a competitor for my time. She now wants to replace Vista with WinXP, but she is afraid she will void the warantee. Replacing winXP with Vista will definitely make the Dell recovery partition useless.

So yesterday the wife tasked me to find a way to install Vista and winXP in separate partitions on the same Dell PC without breaking the recovery partition. And of course I want openSUSE on the PC in its own partition. I now need to sit down and contemplate the recovery (and other) partitions.

So yesterday the wife tasked me to find a way to install Vista and winXP in separate partitions on the same Dell PC without breaking the recovery partition. And of course I want openSUSE on the PC in its own partition. I now need to sit down and contemplate the recovery (and other) partitions.

If in doubt, simulate the idea in Virtual Box. John and I were working on this a while ago and found some interesting things out. This is the thread
Multibooting windows 2000 or xp from Linux - openSUSE Forums

I was looking at the Dell partitioning and it does not look good:
/dev/sda1 = primary partition - some dell partition - very small
/dev/sda2 = primary partition - Vista
/dev/sda3 = primary partition - Dell recovery partition
/dev/sda4 = extended partition (encompassing /dev/sda5 to /dev/sda7 )
/dev/sda5 = logical partition - /
/dev/sda6 = logical partition - swap
/sdv/sda7 = logical partition - /home

Which means Vista and Dell(recovery) have used up 3 primary partitions.

I vaguely recall winXP has to go on a primary partition, and I will NOT give up the last primary to winXP. So that means either Vista or the Dell recovery(s) have to be removed.

It looks like I may need to make a service call to Dell to get this explained, and ask if removing the Vista and/or Dell partitions will void the 3-year warantee we have. … and That could be a bit complex as I purchased the laptop from Dell Germany and I don’t speak German. … :\

You can install XP in a logical Partition no problem, I have done it in a VM a number of times. I have not tried it with W7/Vista though. I can try if you like.
The only requirement is a windows compatible partition in the table (ntfs/fat) before the logical install location.

I would not spend the time, unless you have this planned anyway.

Hmm … that would be nice if so :slight_smile: … I need to check/surf on this.

Check the thread where John and I were working on it. He also links back to his home web site, to an edit he made based on our findings.

Remember windows will install it’s boot code. For me, where I always use the MBR for grub, I have to re-do grub, but that’s a doddle. And you can edit menu.lst to chainload windows. You may have to take the boot flag back to your root partition or if it’s within an extended then to that.

Thinking of installing kde 4.3 on vista. Is it possible?:idea:
Haven’t gone to their site for a while. I tried kde 4.1 before on xp but still no good then.:\

Oldcpu(Lee),
As one who stuck it out from the horror that was KDE4.04, let me be among the first to say Welcome to KDE4!
A lot of work went into it & it was great to be a part of it.
Then to have you start using it as well as praising it well. That makes the bug reports I sent in all worth it.
As to making it look like 3.5 so what! Linux is all about freedom & choice so why not a 3.5 look. Plus your Mom will like it too plus she’ll be with the times not bad for a Senior Citizen.
Is Linux cool or what!

Don’t worry about it, they’ll speak English well enough…

Traitor!!!

Bah!!! Long live KDE 3.5.x … the revolution will fight on. One more soul sells out to the Man!

:slight_smile:

Actually, 3.5’s days are very short thus it won’t be able to live long nor do any kind of “revolution”. From technical POV, it’s codebase is one big ugly monster that is not only hacked in many places but is not possible to do any “revolutionized” development on it without completely rewriting a lot of big components in it. And if you’re going to do that, you might as well start all over again, which KDE4 kinda did.

Bah!!!

Propaganda spread by agents serving the Man! Long live KDE 3.5.x … if you can’t beat them; threaten to Fork it!

Isn’t that how Ubooboo was started? We’ll have to resort to busty web advertisements promoting KDE 3.5.x … didn’t that also work for Ubooboo or was it Google?

:slight_smile:

I’ve really enjoyed 4.3 so far. My only gripe is the browser issue. That’s it!

There are about 6 or so browsers out there now for KDE that all have buggy implementations of Webkit in some way or another. Worse yet, KHTML is Konqueror is, I’ve found, horrible. None of these browsers work right when managing a Joomla site.

I imagine this problem will be remedied over time, but to me it seems to be the only glaring issue right now.

Yeah, I never close Firefox. I crash it.

It wouldn’t matter so much if it would crash faster. But, when I want to close it, I have to wait and wait. I guess I should close it with xkill.:stuck_out_tongue:

lol!

… although following another thread, if one is using a non-updated depeciated version mplayerplug-in, and not gecko-mediaplayer, one can quickly close (kill) their firefox by going to the apple movie trailer site and try to play a HD movie. rotfl!

Note that updating one’s mplayerplug-in to the latest SVN version is cheating. :slight_smile:

• caf4926 wrote, On 08/14/2009 04:26 PM:

> If that’s the case for you Uwe, then something is wrong. For me kde4.3
> is just getting quicker and quicker. What kind of RAM do you have?

It’s not the hardware. I compared it directly on my office machine, a quad core with rather fast 8GB RAM. Gnome responds better to input, it’s more “direct”. I admit it got a tad better with KDE 4.3.

Uwe

Uwe,
There is a growing likeability on my part toward Gnome. I’m very much hardcore KDE mind you. But with Fedora 10 on my main box, I get to use Gnome now and then. It just seems to pick up everything so well. Whatever you plug in. And then recently this business with the gecko plugin had me thinking too.

Hi
I use to be a KDE user from 9.2, but my work colleague always setup some
of our network management stations with Gnome (RedHat) so I was sort of
forced into it :slight_smile:

When 10.1 came along and I got frustrated with the rug debacle I
decided to give SLED a go and started using Gnome, still with rug
though but it appeared a bit more stable…

I have been dual booting this machine into 11.1 KDE 4.2 to try and get
my head around it, but I’m so use to some things now like right-click
and extract anything eg tar, rpm, src rpm etc But still like the YaST
Qt interface for software, k3b which all work fine in the Gnome DE.

I plan to give KDE4.3 a good go when 11.2 comes out, so hopefully I can
keep up with the transition from KDE3.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
up 14 days 19:40, 2 users, load average: 2.10, 2.16, 2.12
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18

Just out of interest Malcolm, what audio player do you use in Gnome?

Hi
Totem and banshee, pulseaudio with fluendo codecs on this machine :slight_smile: on
the 11.1/11.2 test machine it’s all the packman
codecs/gstreamer/smplayer etc the only reason is smplayer is great for
hdtv on the Asus netbook.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
up 14 days 21:33, 2 users, load average: 2.02, 2.06, 2.07
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 190.18