KDE Wallet

I figured out that I need KDE Wallet to get the WiFi to connect on my laptop. Unfortunately, in SeaMonkey I have to enter the password for scottsbasslessons.com every time, the “remember me” check box is checked, but it doesn’t work. Passwords are greyed-out in the SeaMonkey settings. I imagine the same thing will happen if I log in to this forum from the laptop. Is there a way to set up KDE Wallet to remember those passwords? I could just memorize the passwords, there’s only those two that I use on a regular basis, but it would be nice to get KDE Wallet to work. I also have Firefox, but there’s no add-on for KDE Wallet for my version. Add-ons tend to stop working when there’s a browser update, so I would rather avoid using those.

It sounds as if the “remember” passwords, forms data setting(s) in SeaMonkey are unset. Or that you have an incompatible plug-in installed.

I only use KWallet for KDE/Plasma5/Qt5 related components. I let Firefox manage its own passwords, form data etc.

It is set. Also is set in Firefox, neither will “remember” the password.

Forgot to mention, I haven’t installed any add-ons or anything to SeaMonkey or FireFox. If I enter the passwords myself every time, I’m likely to remember them eventually lol!

Some sites do that. They deliberately do their password checking in a way that prevents the browser from saving the password.

the “remember me” check box is checked, but it doesn’t work.

That box usually means that they will set a cookie that remembers your name (but perhaps not the password). If you set your browser to delete cookies on closing the browser, then it won’t do anything.

I suspect SeaMonkey needs Gnome keyring. Different programs use different password managers.

It’s not a problem on my desktop PC, works fine. But on the laptop, no dice. It also happens with openSuse forum. The desktop is using wicked, the laptop is using network manager, if that makes a difference.

How is that set up? This is all new to me.

Now I’m wondering if I have misunderstood the thread.

Either “wicked” or “NetworkManager” is used to connect to the network. But “seamonkey” should just use the network connection you have. And “seamonkey” should not be involved in connecting to the basic network (ethernet or WiFi), though it does need there to be a connection (unless you are working offline).

I ran “seamonkey” under a new user account, so that it should have all of the defaults for a new user. And then, checking the settings, it was already configured to “Remember passwords”. I did not try to actually login to any site.

It does work that way, I just wasn’t sure if Network Manager was at fault somehow. I couldn’t connect to WiFi without using KDE Wallet. Entering the password wouldn’t “take”, it would be missing when I re-checked. It will only stay set if I have KDE Wallet enabled. I’ve never needed it before, since I never used WiFi in the past. It’s me that’s confused, really. On my desktop PC, I don’t use WiFi, so passwords are remembered.

There is no password for hardware network connection just WiFi. Since a WiFi connections may require many passwords for many location you need to store and manage them this is done via Wallet app it in turn may need a password to restrict other local users from using your WiFi passwords. If you enter a blank password into wallet the first time it does not ask you for a password. Note you may need to use the blowfish encryption to allow blank password.

I was talking about the WiFi router password, that is what would not stay set in Network Manager unless KDE Wallet is enabled. So I leave KDE Wallet enabled, and I can connect to WiFi. I enter my password for wallet, but that’s not the problem. My web browser will not “remember” passwords for web sites.

I click on these menus in my browser:

Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security >Passwords

This shows “Password Manager”, and the “Remember passwords” box is checked. I click the “Manage Stored Passwords” button, and the “Passwords” tab is greyed-out. I hoped I could manually enter the needed passwords, but there’s no way to get in there. I see this even when I plug in the Ethernet cable.

On my desktop PC, everything works correctly, these problems are only on the laptop.

Okay. I’m seeing the same thing.

I click the “Manage Stored Passwords” button, and the “Passwords” tab is greyed-out.

Yes, that is greyed out. But that’s because I do not have any stored passwords.

I hoped I could manually enter the needed passwords, but there’s no way to get in there. I see this even when I plug in the Ethernet cable.

No, you can’t enter them manually. There used to be an extension “saved password editor” that would allow you to enter them. I don’t know if that is still available.

The normal way that you enter a password is to login to the site. And, hopefully, a popup will ask if you want to save the password. But some sites seem to block that.

Mine has no passwords because the browser won’t save them. Maybe I clicked the wrong thing when that popup popped up. If that’s the case, is there a way I can fix that? On scottsbasslessons.com I checked the “remember me” box, and it’s still checked, but no password was saved. It happens on this forum, too.

re: This forum - there’s no “remember me” box to check, I meant it doesn’t save my password on the laptop, does work on the PC.

I just tried that with seamonkey.

I was able to login. But it did not prompt me to save a password. And no password appears to have been saved.

I’ll test some more tomorrow.

I did some more experimenting. I could not find a way of persuading “seamonkey” to save a password for this site.

It looks to me as if that is a limitation of “seamonkey”.

Only on Leap 15.0, it works in Leap 42.3. This happens with FireFox, too. I only need to memorize 2 passwords, so it’s not a big deal.

My mistake, it *does *work on Firefox. But I prefer SeaMonkey, FireFox is too weird for me. Still trying to figure out how to add a bookmark lol!

I’ll have to spend some time getting used to it, but still prefer SeaMonkey.

If you save the passwords on Leap 42.3, then copy them to 15.0, it will probably work.

For seamonkey:

cd .mozilla/seamonkey
cd *.default
ls -l logins.json key4.db

I think those are the two files used to save password information. Or copy the whole profile.