kde - no sound on youtube video, no sound on mplayer

Hello. I’m using VLC to play music OGG files. I’m connecting from the motherboard audio to HDMI2 on my monitor. VLC works when I set to the ‘GF114 HDMI’ device.

When I try to play videos on youtube (no adobe flash player, HTML5), there is no sound. When I use mplayer, there is no sound.

When install the multimedia package, from here: http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

The mouse stalls regularly, until do a install update and remove the repos.

Use pavucontrol to set out put for each program. Or make HDMI output the default (device 0)

If you open the new KDE volume control, you will see it has separate controls for HDMI and analog. Just make sure the analog is not muted.

Note: I have two volume controls in the task bar. (cont)

Did you install veromix? Might account for second control

No not veromix. There are two volume controls:

kmix and plasma

I uninstalled kmix.

Correction:

Monitor cable HDMI to HDMI port on video card.

I set the playback to gf114 and I have sound on youtube. However, smplayer is still silent on an mp4 file. No sound on ‘playback’ on pav

How do I uninstall plasma volume and use PAV on task bar?

Pavucontrol does not run on task bar you need veromix as a PA vol control for task bar. If available

But you can stil use any control with pavucontrol used when you really need to make some adjustments

You may not have the codecs for mplayer did you do the vendor switch to packman

If not or don’t know how show us zypper lr -d and someone will give commands

I have only plasma desktop volume control. I have PAV audio control installed. Unless I can uninstall plasma volume control, I will have two volumes on the task bar again.

You may not have the codecs for mplayer did you do the vendor switch to packman

If not or don’t know how show us zypper lr -d and someone will give commands

http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

I installed this and my mouse was constantly stalling. Two, I want to make my system completely opensuse, convert all multimedia formats to opensource codecs.

You know that you can not play most formats if you use only open source.

Most media files are proprietary

You may have missed some codecs. best to do the vendor change to get all you may need

Making the vendor causes my mouse to stall. I can convert them in mswin to opensource format. I was hoping linux could.

Also, how to set mplayer to use the device to HDMI2?

No idea why mouse problems with packman should not effect mouse in any way only media stuff there mouse is controlled by the X stack. Maybe you should address the mouse problem . You must have the proprietary codecs to read the files to make any conversion

This can not be difficult to sort. Make a note of the packages that are going to be installed when doing the vendor change. If indeed there is a packman app that is causing such (and I confess to being sceptical about that), but lets go with the possibility … if there is such an app, I’ll weigh odds one should be able to narrow it down to a few or less that have even a remote affect on the mouse. You should then be able to roll back said specific packages, install all other packages and obtain/keep all the codecs and apps needed to make this work properly.

OK, the mouse issue can’t be related. So, I save that issue for another topic.

Mplayer will play the mp4 video, but I have no sound. Which is the problem the multimedia package or mplayer using the wrong device?

Do you get sound in other programs or in Yast-sound???

Two volume controls. kmix and plasma volume. Uninstalled kmix. Installed Pulse Audio Volume. No multimedia package (see above).

Working video and music:
Youtube (fixed)
vlc ogg music

working video only
mplayer GUI - mp4 files

Not working
dragon player mp4

Be perfectly clear

Did you do a vendor change to packman? This should get you all codecs for all multimedia

with dragon playing use pavucontrol to see if you can adjust sound

mp4 is proprietary thus codecs/media programs must come from packman

As stated above, I can’t use the multimedia package. It’s causing system slow downs. I’ll address this in another post.

with dragon playing use pavucontrol to see if you can adjust sound

mp4 is proprietary thus codecs/media programs must come from packman

Correction (not clearly stated), dragonplayer gui doesn’t play mp4 video. I have mplayer gui playing mp4 video, but not audio. Here’s a search I performed.

duckduckgo: linux mplayer mp4 “no sound”