KDE network manager WiFi issue

Anyone also seeing the following issue with KDE’s network manager:

Having configured the home wireless network, reconnect does not happen when (re)booting the system. No network connection is made and the SSID is not visible in the connections list.
To resolve this the wireless option needs to be disabled/enabled and the connection will instantly get setup.

Driver seems to load without issue at boot & this laptop is using the iwlwifi driver.

Cheers,
Willem

On 06/04/2012 03:36 PM, Magic31 wrote:
>
> Anyone also seeing the following issue with KDE’s network manager:
>
> Having configured the home wireless network, reconnect does not happen
> when (re)booting the system. No network connection is made and the SSID
> is not visible in the connections list.
> To resolve this the wireless option needs to be disabled/enabled and
> the connection will instantly get setup.
>
> Driver seems to load without issue at boot& this laptop is using the
> iwlwifi driver.

I have seen a problem with 12.1 and 12.2 that any connection marked with
automatic connection will not be seen, just as you describe. I have deleted the
automatic connection, and manually select the connection. Your disable/enable
wireless sounds like a better workaround when it fails.

I just filed a bug report about this, but with brcmsmac (broadcom). I assumed it had something to do with the driver. I have to unload/load the driver after boot to get a connection. https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=765249

Make it a system connection
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/SUSE%20Misc/kde-wireless-new.png

That worked on my end. Why does this work? I’m guessing a permission problem?

It’s been this way for a while. It’s a feature, not a problem.

First off, cool for all the feedback here (yours and others). Thanks.

What confuses me is that you are stating this is not a problem? Seems like it to me as Networkmanager in KDE is not doing what is expected of it. GNOME does not exhibit this behavior with it’s NetWorkmanager GUI for example.

Help me understand? :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Willem

The reason that Gnome “does not exhibit this behavior” is that a new connection made in Gnome is automatically a system connection by default.

Ok, got that (which also explains the annoyance there that it asks for the root password where one would not expect it to - again from standard user perspective). But then why is that not the default in KDE and how do we explain this to the enduser that gets frustrated when his settings don’t seem to stick?

Not intending to make this a yes/no thread… but it my opinion if the default is not working as it’s not very friendly to users that know nothing about this.

Cheers!
Willem

I agree with that. In fact, I posted a rant about it on my blog.

In any case, I have been experimenting with polkit tweaks, described here. And, with those tweaks, it now seems much closer to what it should be, as long as KDE users remember to check the “system connection” box when setting up a new connection.