KDE elevated authorization ask for user password not root?

I’m sure this has been asked before, but I was unable to find anything. I’m used to most distro’s asking for the user password not root password, so I’ve adjusted sudo to prompt for user passwords and added myself to the wheel group to have that privelage. All good there. However, when in KDE and needing to do anything like start yast, or kdiskmark, or partitionmanager, it asks for the root password. I assume this is using polkit to do so? Sadly, I have no idea how to adjust polkit to ask for my user password and a couple of articles I’ve found were apparently so old that everything in it didn’t exist in Tumbleweed. Does anyone have a simple way to get it so that the authorization popups in KDE ask for my user password, not root? Thanks!

Yes

Does anyone have a simple way to get it so that the authorization popups in KDE ask for my user password, not root?

Create polkit rule that lists groups/users which are accepted as administrative user:

tw:~ # cat /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/00-admin.rules 
polkit.addAdminRule(function(action, subject) {
	return "unix-group:wheel"];
});
tw:~ # 

See “man polkit” for details.

@tmiller76. As you have already found out, this is NOT the default security policy (for “becoming root”) in openSUSE.

You may of course change that to another policy, but whenever you later ask for help here, be always aware of the fact that people here will not know about your changes and thus you should always explain them when it seems applicable to your problem/question situation.

This worked PERFECTLY!! Thanks!!

That’s just logic 101, explain all relevant configuration that diverges from the base on the system that may have some impact on the issue.

I am glad you understand that. Many forget in the stress of making a help asking post.:wink: