KDE desktop config file(s) - where?

Hi,
wondering where KDE (OpenSUSE 13.2) keeps the configuration file(s).

Reason being, on a couple of occasions KDE has “forgotten” my desktop setup (backgrounds, folders/default desktop etc.), and reverted to the “out of the box” setup.

Okay, it’s a simple enough task to re-setup my desktop, but as I backup my /home files, I thought it’d be easier to simply copy the relevant file(s) back from the backup.

thanks

~/.kde4, ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc in particular.

Reason being, on a couple of occasions KDE has “forgotten” my desktop setup (backgrounds, folders/default desktop etc.), and reverted to the “out of the box” setup.

Maybe it just switched to a different activity, or created a new one on startup?
Have a look in the activity switcher, the “3 dots” in the panel next to the application launcher/“K-Menu”.

many thanks for that answer.

Yes, it was the Activities getting in the way. As an experiment, after reading your answer, I clicked on the dots and then one called “Desktop” and got the same symptoms as I described in my first post. Of course I could then find no way back to where I started. So, after a quick read about what Activities are (and that I have no need of them in the simple desktop world I inhabit) I’ve removed the dots from the panel and re-setup my desktop. Hopefully that’ll be that.

thanks again for the answer.

Just click on the activity you want to use in the activity switcher, or press Windows+TAB until you are on the right one.

So, after a quick read about what Activities are (and that I have no need of them in the simple desktop world I inhabit) I’ve removed the dots from the panel and re-setup my desktop. Hopefully that’ll be that.

Well, you probably should delete all other activities if you are not going to use them, to avoid accidental switching.
You can also reach the activity switcher via right-clicking on the desktop (or left-clicking on the desktop toolbox normally located in the top-right corner) and choosing “Activities…” there.
To delete an activity, you have to stop it first.