KDE crash dialog ask /usr/bin/kdeinit4

on my opensuse 12.3 with kde 4.10.2 and 4.10.3, usually plasma crash, KDE crash dialog says that backtrace is not useful, I investigated on what files it needs and it says:
The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:

/usr/bin/kdeinit4.
but I cannot find which debuginfo file I have to install, searching in yast package manager checking all the boxes, I found kdelibs4-debuginfo and installed it, but KDE crash dialog continues to ask for /usr/bin/kdeinit4.
what have I to install to have useful informations to send???
thanx, ciao, pier

So three questions:

1. How did you install openSUSE? Clean install or Upgrade, be specific.
  2. Tells us of your PC hardware and in particular about you video and if using open source driver or not.
  3. How long has openSUSE 12.3 been installed and did it ever work properly for you?

Thank You,

Create a new “user” and check whether issue exists for that new user.

clean install taking the old /home partition

hardware CPU Information
Processor (CPU): Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Speed: 1.600,00 MHz
Cores: 8
Total memory (RAM): 8 GiB
Display Info
Model:NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M using proprietary 304.88 nvidia drivers from the opensuse nvidia repo.

I ranted about these crashes here too, and one of the possibility is this kde#311871,
but my question was also what have I to install to have useful informations to send???
thnx, ciao, pier:)

So have you updated your kernel version from 3.7? Specifically have you tried kernel version 3.8 or the new 3.9? I use the very latest nVIDIA driver, have nVIDIA GT 660 Ti video card and I am running kernel 3.9, all in openSUSE 12.3 and KDE 4.10 with no problems. For added info on kernels upgrades, look here: openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and for considering loading the nVIDIA driver the hard way look here: Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums and if you should decide to compile your own kernel using SAKC, you can use this to automatically reinstall the nVIDIA driver with dkms for new kernel compiles: S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.00 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums which is what I do.

Thank You,

IMHO, this should not matter at all if using the proprietary nvidia driver.
And KDE 4.10 works fine here on kernel 3.7… (both using the opensource radeon driver on a Radeon 9600 and the proprietary nvidia driver on GTX550i)

It should not matter perhaps, but it should not hurt to give it a try either. You are having a problem and this is something I recommend to you to do.

Thank You,

@Pier, you’ll need kdelibs4-core-debuginfo, libkde4-debuginfo, kdelibs4-debuginfo, libkdecore4-debuginfo and also possibly kdebase4-workspace-debuginfo packages (though the crashes are probably lower in the stack, so the first 4 should suffice - those will also pull Qt debug packages) :slight_smile:

Well, right now I am suspecting libQtWebKit4. But there was no answer yet.

Please see here: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/486529-why-plasma-crashes-so-very-often-2.html
The backtraces are also there…

So why update libQtWebKit4 to version 4.8.4+2.3.1 in lue of the working version 4.8.4+2.2.0-3.2.1?

Thank You,

ok :slight_smile:
I believe that actually the OP gathered correct backtrace here:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311871#c69
@pier, is that correct? Your backtrace from the report seems like the one wolfi323 linked. And that backtrace doesn’t indicate you have the same crash as people in that bug report

Yes I posted that backtrace on kdebugs site 311871, and also the one that wolfi linked, the two backtraces has been generated in two different crashes, so I don’t know if both are due to the same cause, so you think that my crashes are not related to 311871bug??

thanx, ciao, pier :slight_smile:

Yes, i don’t think your crashes are related to that bug. Did you have any browser (rekonq/konqueror) opened when the crashes happened, as i also see IcedTea plugin picked up in the backtrace

at first I was thinking the crash was related to firefox, becouse often after opening firefox the crash happened, but when it happened at start with no application opened and with only luckybackup only opened I supposed there was no relationship with firefox.
Yes ay be that the crash report I sent was with browsers opened but I don’t remember, and nothing I know about icedtea…:slight_smile:
thanx, ciao, pier :slight_smile:

In my case, for testing.
And having the latest features and security fixes, especially since I use QtWebKit for webbrowsing. (I prefer konqueror to firefox/opera/chrome/whatever ;))

So to make it clear, I do try out the very latest kernel released, often load the very latest nVIDIA driver and VirtualBox driver as well and so I understand about testing things out. I have however found out two things in my workings with Linux and openSUSE, 1) don’t be too quick to upgrade to the latest stuff if what you have is already working well. And, 2) don’t be too quick to complain here when you muck up your system testing out the very latest version of something not included in the standard openSUSE release. The amount of sympathy you receive may be very low. If it don’t work in the standard release or following any of our guides, its worth a complaint in the forum and perhaps a bug report as well. If you have decided to roll your very own openSUSE distro with 37 repositories or more, I say good luck to you and I hope you know how to reinstall openSUSE, said in a very kind and considerate way, of course.

Thank You,

Well, I only have 28 at the moment. And my last reinstall was with S.u.S.E. 8.1. Since then, only upgrades. Most of the time with zypper dup, sometimes I just booted a net install CD and chose “Upgrade”. :wink:

I am not complaining, btw. I just mentioned my crashes as a reason for my suggestion to downgrade libQtWebKit4. (can’t reproduce them anymore at the moment, btw)
And the OP had this newer libQtWebKit4 installed because he added one of the KDE repos (KDF or KR410) and switched his packages to it (which is the recommended way to not get dependency problems).
There’s no necessity to do that anymore of course, because KDE updates are released via the normal update channel on 12.3…

I installed your suggested package but KDE crash dialog continue asking /usr/bin/kdeinit4:
this is the backtrace I got:
SUSE Paste

thanx, ciao, pla :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi pier, unfortunately, still is some stuff missing:

1. Thread 1 (Thread 0x7fe6dc218780 (LWP 1772)):

2. [KCrash Handler]

3. #6 0x00007fe5dc22d030 in ?? ()

4. #7 0x00007fe650f2110d in ?? ()

5. #8 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Do you have some 3rd party widgets on desktop?

yes, one is fast user switch https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/486483-user-switching-kde-finally-working-plasmoid-fastuserswitch.html and other two very simple home-made-plasmoid that only shows one the username and the other tha hostname https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/484422-set-font-dimension-plasmoid-using-python-qml.html