KDE corrupt, cannot log in

I was busy browsing the Web in Firefox in KDE 4.2 in openSUSE 11.1 when the update notification applet notified me there was a security update available. I choose to install it, and this seems to go fine.

When I was done in Firefox I tried to open Dolphin. But when it tried the open nothing happened. The cursor bounced but it never opened.

So I decided to log off. That was a horrible thing to do!

When it logged me off instead of getting me back to KDM I was at the console. Thinking x had crashed I logged in as myself and gave the command startx

KDE started to load and got as far as the splash screen. Then x crashed and I got an error message saying “Could not start kdeinit4 Check your installation.” Restarting didn’t help.

I could manage if I could get into xcfe but I don’t know how to do that.

So any ideas on how to proceed?

I found out how to start xcfe so I’m in Firefox typing this now.

All Qt applications seem to be effected, so this must be a Qt problem.

Obviously Yast is also in Qt4 so it doesn’t work. Yast from the terminal does work though.

I added the repository Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt44/openSUSE_11.1 so we’ll see if doing an update from it works…

OK, it didn’t work. When I try running a OT4 program from the terminal I get the following error:

Cannot mix incompatible Qt libraries
<unknown program name>(4879)/: Communication problem with “dolphin” , it probably crashed.
Error message was: “org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply” : " “Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)” "

remove the QT repo, it says you’ e got a mix of incompatible Qt libs. After removal, start the software installer, search for qt4 only in names, update all packages unconditionally

You could always run Yast in the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), login as root, type yast, use your TAB-key and you’ll find your way

What’s worse is suspend to disk/suspend to RAM and sound doesn’t work.

I’ll give that a try!

Thanks Knurpht it worked!

I had added it because I thought it was necessary for installing KDE 4.2. Hibernation and sound work again too. :smiley: