KDE 4.8 is now landing in openSUSE:Tumbleweed

After 2+ weeks of messing with KDE 4.8 to get it to build and work
properly in openSUSE:Tumbleweed:Testing, all seems good, so it’s
starting to show up, slowly, in openSUSE:Tumbleweed this weekend.

I’m announcing this here as I know a lot of people mix the KDE:4.8 repo
with Tumbleweed on their systems, and that might cause problems if the
KDE repo is allowed to remain as packages get duplicated.

So, if you have KDE:48 in your repo list, I strongly suggest you remove
it in the next few days, as I can not support mixing the two at all,
sorry.

Note, if anyone has any problems with the KDE packages in Tumbleweed,
please let me know. Odds are I messed something up, not the KDE
developers.

thanks,

greg k-h

Good to see. Thanks for your work! I will have to update it later today and see how it goes.

Thank you Greg.

I have removed KDE:48 repos as suggested, but running zypper dup shows this:

zypper dup
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Computing distribution upgrade...
3 Problems:
Problem: kdelibs4-4.8.1-483.3.x86_64 requires kdelibs4-branding = 12.1, but this requirement cannot be provided
Problem: kdebase4-workspace-4.8.1-729.7.x86_64 requires kdebase4-workspace-branding = 4.8.1, but this requirement cannot be provided
Problem: kdebase4-workspace-4.8.1-729.7.x86_64 requires kde4-kgreeter-plugins = 4.8.1, but this requirement cannot be provided

Problem: kdelibs4-4.8.1-483.3.x86_64 requires kdelibs4-branding = 12.1, but this requirement cannot be provided                                             
  deleted providers: kdelibs4-branding-openSUSE-12.1-5.6.noarch                                                                                             
uninstallable providers: kdelibs4-branding-basedonopensuse-12.1-6.1.2.i586[openSUSE-Stable_OSS]                                                                                                                                              
                   kdelibs4-branding-basedonopensuse-12.1-6.1.2.x86_64[openSUSE-Stable_OSS]                                                                                                                                                  
                   kdelibs4-branding-upstream-4.8.1-2.1.i586[tumbleweed]                                                                                                                                                                     
                   kdelibs4-branding-upstream-4.8.1-2.1.x86_64[tumbleweed]                                                                                                                                                                   
 Solution 1: deinstallation of kactivities4-4.8.1-10.3.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                
 Solution 2: keep obsolete kdelibs4-branding-openSUSE-12.1-5.6.noarch                                                                                                                                                                        
 Solution 3: break kdelibs4 by ignoring some of its dependencies                                                                                                                                                                             

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/3/s/r/c] (c):

When I re-enable the KDE repos:

zypper dup                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.                                
Loading repository data...                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Reading installed packages...                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Computing distribution upgrade...                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Nothing to do.

My repositories:

#  | Alias                   | Name                       | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                                | Service
---+-------------------------+----------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
 1 | KDE48-Core_12.1         | KDE48-Core_12.1            | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/48/openSUSE_12.1/          |        
 2 | KDE48-Extra_12.1        | KDE48-Extra_12.1           | No      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/KDE_Release_48_openSUSE_12.1/ |        
 3 | libdvdcss               | libdvdcss                  | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/12.1/                                               |               
 4 | openSUSE-Stable_OSS     | openSUSE-Stable_OSS        | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/oss/               |        
 5 | openSUSE-Stable_Updates | openSUSE-Stable_Updates    | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/openSUSE-current/                              |        
 6 | openSUSE-Stable_non-OSS | openSUSE-Stable_non-OSS    | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-current/repo/non-oss/           |        
 7 | oracle-virtualbox       | oracle-virtualbox          | No      | No      |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.4/                       |               
 8 | packman-tumbleweed      | packman-tumbleweed         | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/                       |              
 9 | tumbleweed              | tumbleweed                 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/           |

What am I supposed to do? Thank you.

I met these dep. errors as well. You have 2 options: either keep the old branding packages, or move to the upstream branding packages. I picked option 2, which means keeping the old openSUSE-branding packages.

For the rest: updated KDE packages to those from the Tumbleweed repo. All well, running smooth and shiny.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:36:02 +0000, Knurpht wrote:

> I met these dep. errors as well. You have 2 options: either keep the old
> branding packages, or move to the upstream branding packages. I picked
> option 2, which means keeping the old openSUSE-branding packages.

Yes, you have to pick some option here, I can’t seem to prevent that,
sorry.

If anyone has any ideas of how to fix this, please let me know and I’ll
be glad to implement it.

> For the rest: updated KDE packages to those from the Tumbleweed repo.
> All well, running smooth and shiny.

Good to hear, thanks for letting me know.

greg k-h

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:32:15 +0000, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:36:02 +0000, Knurpht wrote:
>
>> I met these dep. errors as well. You have 2 options: either keep the
>> old branding packages, or move to the upstream branding packages. I
>> picked option 2, which means keeping the old openSUSE-branding
>> packages.
>
> Yes, you have to pick some option here, I can’t seem to prevent that,
> sorry.
>
> If anyone has any ideas of how to fix this, please let me know and I’ll
> be glad to implement it.

Oh nevermind, this was my fault, am fixing it up now, should be
propagated out to the repos in a few minuts.

Sorry about that.

greg k-h

I kept the obsolete branding packages (solution 2, 1 and 3):

Solution 2: keep obsolete kdelibs4-branding-openSUSE-12.1-5.6.noarch
Solution 1: keep obsolete kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE-12.1-5.3.x86_64
Solution 3: keep obsolete kdm-branding-openSUSE-12.1-5.6.noarch

And downgraded KDE packages to those from the Tumbleweed repo:

3 packages to upgrade, 195 to downgrade, 195  to change vendor.
Overall download size: 323.8 MiB. After the operation, 9.9 MiB will be freed.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y

After the reboot, everything seems to work just fine. Thank you. :smile:

Thank you for this, Greg!

Changing repositories from KDE to Tumbleweed worked without a hitch here, no unresolved dependencies or other problems. :slight_smile:

Always good to be able to get rid of yet another repository, one less potential source for conflicts down the road…

A bit too late for me. I have already done the steps suggested by Knurpht. :mad:

Fortunately I made a clonezilla backup before. :cool:

Nothing lost. Backup not needed. Just restart Yast’s Softwaremanagement, and perform the “Switch system packages…” on the Tumbleweed repo once again.
Mind: Libreoffice has disappeared from the Tumbleweed repo, but there’s a separate LibreOffice repo for Tumbleweed : Index of /repositories/LibreOffice:/Stable/openSUSE_Tumbleweed

Hi
I just upgraded to kde4.8 yesterday and it was odd. I ran yast and it showed no automatic upgrades so I did a manual “update all newer”. It came back with a shed-load of unresolvable dependencies. So I checked a few of the biggies like kdebase and kdelibs etc and the dependencies were actually all available on my repos… I decided to bite the bullet and selected “break” on all the resolver suggestions. Ran the update, all fine, system works great.
Was the problem caused by me doing an update rather than clicking on the tumbleweed repo and checking “switch system packages”? I’d like to know for future updates.
Thanks

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 13:06:03 +0000, fishears wrote:

> Hi I just upgraded to kde4.8 yesterday and it was odd. I ran yast and it
> showed no automatic upgrades so I did a manual “update all newer”. It
> came back with a shed-load of unresolvable dependencies. So I checked a
> few of the biggies like kdebase and kdelibs etc and the dependencies
> were actually all available on my repos… I decided to bite the bullet
> and selected “break” on all the resolver suggestions. Ran the update,
> all fine, system works great.
> Was the problem caused by me doing an update rather than clicking on the
> tumbleweed repo and checking “switch system packages”? I’d like to know
> for future updates.
> Thanks

As has been posted many times before, you ALWAYS need to just do:
zypper dup
from the command line to get Tumbleweed to work properly.

I don’t know how any graphical updaters will work with Tumbleweed, and do
not support them at all, sorry.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

Actually, I would like to retract that statement. A general “zypper dup” showed the number of downgrades that would have been necessary to completely migrate away from the KDE repository. What’s the point of having KDE 4.8 in Tumbleweed when half of the programs that are also upgraded to 4.8.x in the KDE repository are not included and in turn would be downgraded to the 4.7.x version in the openSUSE-OSS repository, i.e. downgraded to the time of shipping of 12.1? Or does that mean sending a request for every package not included in Tumbleweed to be added? Because if it does, it seems to be a lot of work without any actual gain, since a priority <99 for KDE and a ‘zypper dup --from KDE’ seem to do about the same without having to put additional effort into maintaining it etc…

This is what a zypper dup would have given me, apart from also changing vendor back to OSS for a whole lot of xfce packages, but that is another story…

bootsplash-branding-openSUSE                obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  branding-openSUSE                           obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  dynamic-wallpaper-branding-openSUSE         obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  gfxboot-branding-openSUSE                   obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  gimp-branding-openSUSE                      obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  k3b                                         obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kcm_gtk                                     obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kdebase4-openSUSE                           obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kdebase4-runtime-branding-openSUSE          obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE        obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed        
  kdelibs4-branding-openSUSE                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed        
  kdm-branding-openSUSE                       obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed        
  kgpg                                        obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kio_iso                                     obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kio_sysinfo                                 obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  kio_sysinfo-branding-openSUSE               obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  krusader                                    obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  krusader-doc                                obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  ksplashx-branding-openSUSE                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libattica0                                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libattica0-32bit                            obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libblas3                                    obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libepub0                                    obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libexiv2-11                                 obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libgrantlee_core0                           obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libiodbc3                                   obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  liblapack3                                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libmarblewidget12                           obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libmsn0_3                                   obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libpodofo0_9_1                              obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libqalculate5                               obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libqimageblitz4                             obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libqoauth1                                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libqzeitgeist0                              obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libqzeitgeist0-32bit                        obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  librasqal3                                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  libreoffice-kde4                            obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed -> openSUSE                            
  libtag-extras1                              obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  mobile-broadband-provider-info              obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  moodbar                                     obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  oxygen-gtk                                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  phonon-backend-xine                         obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  polkit-kde-agent-1                          obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed -> openSUSE                            
  python-distribute                           obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> http://packman.links2linux.de                       
  python-pyudev                               obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  susegreeter-branding-openSUSE               obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  wallpaper-branding-openSUSE                 obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  xfce4-splash-branding-openSUSE              obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  yakuake                                     obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  yakuake-lang                                obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  yast2-control-center                        obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  yast2-control-center-qt                     obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE                                            
  yast2-qt-branding-openSUSE                  obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -> openSUSE

[edit] changed questions / tone [/edit]

so maybe the way I upgraded wasn’t so bad after all if zypper dup isn’t without complications :wink:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:56:03 +0000, rmk2 wrote:
>
> Actually, I would like to retract that statement. A general “zypper dup”
> showed the number of downgrades that would have been necessary to
> -completely- migrate away from the KDE repository. What’s the point of
> having KDE 4.8 in Tumbleweed when half of the programs that are also
> upgraded to 4.8.x in the KDE repository are not included and in turn
> would be downgraded to the 4.7.x version in the openSUSE-OSS repository,
> i.e. downgraded to the time of shipping of 12.1?
>
> I don’t really care about Libreoffice etc, but since updated versions of
> various programs are available from the KDE repository, what’s the point
> of mixing 4.7.x from OSS and 4.8.x from Tumbleweed instead?

There should not be any “mixing” happening here. What package from the
4.8 release did I miss in the Tumbleweed upgrade? I’ll gladly add it if
it was missed, but don’t get confused and think that all packages in the
KDE:48 repo really were KDE 4.8 packages, some are there for other
reasons.

> This is what a zypper dup would have given me, apart from also
> downgrading a whole lot of xfce packages, but that is another story…
>

<snip>

That list looks correct, and all should be fine after accepting that,
right?

It comes from the fact that I did not include all packages that were in
the KDE:48 repo, on purpose.

This is what happens when you start mixing repos, you need to be able to
handle that sometimes things downgrade.

best of luck,

greg k-h

Ah, that makes sense I suppose. So usually, the base packages and select programs will be updated via Tumbleweed and the rest stays at OSS/Update level? I always assumed it would be an “all or nothing”-approach, so this is definitely good to know! I suppose there’s always something alarming in downgrading a whole bunch of packages while updating. :shame:

I’ll give it a try and see what happens (there is a whole lot more happening than what I quoted, since the entire zypper dup would have been over the character limit).

Thanks for the clarification (and fingers crossed).

Hi
I am using openSuse current (64 bit) with Tumbleweed enabled.
Currently I have no chance to access my email stored in kmail due to a bug in KDE 4.8.1.
I reported this bug and the problem should be fixed in 4.8.2.
How long will it take to make 4.8.2 available in Tumbleweed?
To add an additional KDE repo should be the last solution (if possible).
I recognized that 4.8.2 is already available in Tumbleweed testing.
Any help is appreciated
(BTW I am a Tumbleweed beginner :wink: )

Thanks
Stefan

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:36:03 +0000, stefan1200 wrote:

> Hi I am using openSuse current (64 bit) with Tumbleweed enabled.
> Currently I have no chance to access my email stored in kmail due to a
> bug in KDE 4.8.1.
> I reported this bug and the problem should be fixed in 4.8.2.
> How long will it take to make 4.8.2 available in Tumbleweed?
> To add an additional KDE repo should be the last solution (if possible).
> I recognized that 4.8.2 is already available in Tumbleweed testing. Any
> help is appreciated (BTW I am a Tumbleweed beginner :wink: )

If you need 4.8.2 now, use Tumblweed:Testing. Hopefully it will move
into the main Tumbleweed repo later this week if all goes well, but I can
not guarantee it.

greg k-h

4.8.2 is out in the main tumbleweed repo :). Did anybody notice any proplems with kdm? Mine takes too much time to come up while gdm works fine If I choose to use it.