Kde 4.1

I’m running 4.1 as well and I’m very satisfied with it ATM. It’s a far cry from 4.0 (a HUGE improvement from the former) although it still has quite few rough edges left.

Love the Folder View, love Krunner, love Dolphin with it’s clear layout and it’s Filter bar (Control+I) and Terminal view (F4). I loved kicker from the start so that hasn’t changed.

And it has a few really neat desktop effects, for example I’m using the Alt+Tab “flip switch” (not the Vista-lookalike one).

But, does anyone else feel like the plasmoids in 4.1 are awkward to move around and resize?

<shamefully hangs his head> I’m still a 3.5.9 user and haven’t tried 4.x yet. My typical usage is to have one or two konqueror windows open each with multiple tabs, up to 5 console windows open but usually all but one minimized, one or two multi-tabbed kate windows and a browser window, multi-tabbed, either konqueror or firefox.

I know that there are some desktop icons that come with the default install, but I don’t think I’ve ever used any of them. I definitely haven’t made any of my own. I call applications from either the gecko button menu (aka start menu) or command line.

Is this sort of usage going to see much of a difference between 3.5.9 and 4.1? Right now, my Linux machine has an integrated Rage 128 type video. I might try 4.1 on the entertainment machine when I start to put Linux on that. Might get around to that next weekend.

> What do other people think???

Love it. There are limitations as you outlined,
but as it evolves it’s gonna be uber cool.

Well… a moment ago I tried to download and open a .chm (Microsoft Compiled HTML Help) file using KDE4. In Windows I could open it, but the text was very small and you could not increase the font size… so what I did in WIndows was use some kind of Java program/converter.

In KDE4, Okular pops up and renders the CHM files beautifully complete with Index and thumbnails; plus I can make the text any size.

Also I love the way Krita is turning out… UI is a bit Photoshop-like (a good think), but the descriptions and menu layout are even better!

And I used K3B 2 days ago to create a music CD, because iTunes under WinXP gave me a coaster… x) Dolphin+Filter bar+Terminal View (to recursively copy music to my home folder) + C drive mounted on /windows/c/ + K3B + drag&drop => made things easy!

Yes yes I’m quite enthousiastic about the direction they are going! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Now I just need the updated versions of Amarok and Digikam.

Suse 11.0/Kde 4.1 Live CD.
Dolphin as a file manager.

1. the ‘window’ option from konqueror isn’t available in Dolphin, so you won’t be splitting your screen into more than the 2 panels dolphin allows.

2. I don’t know if kde 3.5 did this, but as I navigate using the dolphin gui with a terminal panel open, the terminal shows a ‘cd’ into each folder. cool. I’d like this behavior to eventually include any file operation I do in dolphin.

3. dolphin has ‘show in groups’ that was missing in the 3.5 series of konqueror. For some reason the option to ‘show in groups’ is randomly greyed out. Bug maybe?

4. I did encounter a crash when copying and pasting files. Could this be due to that fact that I’m using a live cd and not a full install?

5. not sure if Ark integration in Dolphin is complete, but again, maybe its just a problem with the live cd.

6. is send in email implemented?

Once it matures, I can see that Dolphin will indeed replace Konqueror on my system. It’s no nonsense file management that’s laid out logically and easy to use.

Okular is very cool. Kpdf will rest in peace. I like having one program that can open pdf, chm, tif, and ps. I did have problems with links in chm files though.

Not too hard to do either, a simple script to delete ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc, then kill the x-server (because annoyingly KDE4 saves, well, mostly anyway, your desktop layout on logout, overwriting any text file changes you made!) would be easy enough to do!

1. As far as I know, no. At least I never saw a way to do this in 3.5.x. It’s great for learning too: type the command and you immediately see what happens in the file manager!

2. I’m not sure… did not pay attention to it.

3. Yes I have this crash too, Dolphin crashes once in a while when copy+pasting or cut+pasting files.

4. Hmmm I dunno what you mean. In my case when I have an archive, there is an option in right-click context menu ‘Open in Ark’… the quick-command like ‘Extract Here’ aren’t there for me either.

Yeah I had problems with links too; some would work and some would be formatted correctly but you couldn’t click or follow them. Still, it made reading my eBook about webdesign much more enjoyable :slight_smile:

1. Hmmm I dunno what you mean. In my case when I have an archive, there is an option in right-click context menu ‘Open in Ark’… the quick-command like ‘Extract Here’ aren’t there for me either.

Yeah I’m talking about the quick-commands. When I highlight a bunch of files in 3.5 and right click them, I get the option to archive, compress, or add to an existing archive.

Just using 4.1 a little this evening. LOTS of signal 11 (SIGSEGV) errors in Kontact and Krita. Another side effect of the live cd maybe? What the hell is signal 11 (sigsegv) mean anyway?

Segmentation fault. As I understand it (imperfectly to be sure) it’s a reference to the object of a null pointer, which is address 0x0000. It is illegal for a program to read from or write to address Zero. And thus the program dies most heinously. As it applies to KDE 4.1 it’s most likely a bug, a bit of malformed code that can’t be digested properly.

I am using 4.1 now from

home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/

and its working pretty well for me. konsole was flaky but I just did

rm .kde4/share/apps/konsole/.profile
rm .kde4/share/config/konsolerc

and set it up they I wanted and alls well there.

But I have a question that may be a general linux question:

Dolphin opens up in ~/Documents even if I change the settings.

rm .kde4/share/config/dolphinrc
doesn’t help.

Alt-F2 xterm opens an xterm window which, like dolphin, opens in ~/Documents

One post I found said to fix that just type cd in xterm, close and reopen it and you be at /home/foo That doesn’t work.

Does anyone know how to really change the default directory in xterm or dolphin to /home/foo? Hopefully one fix fixes both.

i upgraded my 11.0 to 4.1, and it now says on boot-up; “failed to enable Phonon, reverting to previous method”.

sound works ok, so it isn’t really a problem, just mentioning it.

Hi, install a package called phonon-backend-xine

cheers, where from, is there a one-click?

nevermind, i found it cheers. :slight_smile:

having done that, i now get the following knotify error message on bootup:

Unable to use Xine Multimedia Backend:
The plugin ‘phonon_xine’ uses an incompatible KDE library (4.1.60 (KDE 4.1.60 (KDE 4.2 >= 20080709)) “release 43.4”).

sound still works, but i am about to give this laptop to my non-techy sister who will not like error messages popping up for no good reason.

anyone know what the problem is; and how a non-technical sort like myself might fix it?

Wouldn’t this technically be login rather than boot? Boot lasts until the login screen where you get to choose which desktop to use today then the process is login.

Maybe using auto-login blurs this distinction.

you are quite correct, yes.

having done that, i now get the following knotify error message after login:

Unable to use Xine Multimedia Backend:
The plugin ‘phonon_xine’ uses an incompatible KDE library (4.1.60 (KDE 4.1.60 (KDE 4.2 >= 20080709)) “release 43.4”).

sound still works, but i am about to give this laptop to my non-techy sister who will not like error messages popping up for no good reason.

anyone know what the problem is; and how a non-technical sort like myself might fix it?