KDE 4.1 flipping out again

I have similar issue, started after i did a update yesterday evening (PST).
right click, doesnt work, no start menu and the icons are overlapped in taskbar.

didnt get time to see why it happened. just read that 4.1.3 is in factory, will update and see if it fixes the issue, later tonight.

Did a update yesterday. the problem is still there. renaming .kde & .kde4 does not help.

Finally Issue Resolved.
I had the Anubsg1respository enabled. the QT version on it was higher that that in the KDE factory & QT repos.
a downgrade to the QT repo version fixed it.

what the address to the QT repo?
I’m using Gnome version for now… Will do a fresh install when 11.1 comes out next month.

the QT you need is
Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt/openSUSE_11.0

Goto YaST -> Software Management. CLick on filter by by repos. Click on the KDE4 repo. In the packages list -> right click -> All in this list -> upgrade if newer version exists.

Well I installed the QT repo and upgraded to 4.1.3 but I still can open Firefox. And the taskbar doesn’t show any minimized buttons.

Nothing works right at this point. And now that I’m in Gnome, it’s background is gone.

What a mess.

Now what do I do?

Since it’s been nothing but trouble with KDE4, and I like Gnome better, how do I delete KDE? or should I just leave it because I use some KDE programs, like K3b and kaffeine?

Probably the best choice is to leave kde alone, without sufficient experience you are likely to break something.

Have you tried creating a completely new user account? To see how that responds? You can always delete it again.

I tried to create a .kde4-old file so when I reboot it would create a new kde4 folder, which may fix the problems, but I don’t have permissions to change it. How do I log in as root and change folder permissions?

login to icewm it is installed by default or gnome

use this command in terminal

mv /home/uernme/.kde4 .kde4old

if you can’t do it (that would be Very odd)

in which case add sudo to the start

BUT actually I said create a complete New user, not just a re-name of the .kde4

It won’t let me paster the results, but it won’t work even with sudo, but there is a kde4old folder, so maybe it did work, but it won’t let me delete the .kde4 folder.

is there a super user mode for the file system? I use one in Sidux linux kde3.

Since this forum won’t let me edit my posts, I was able to delete the folder and reboot from Gnome and KDE 4 is back to default again.

Thank you :slight_smile:

So are things OK do you think?

Yes, its working better. I have also been using KDE4.1 in Mandriva 2009 and its works very well except that the screensaver goes to quarter screen sometimes. Maybe by KDE4.2 they will have it together :slight_smile:

Yes, its working better. I have also been using KDE4.1 in Mandriva 2009
and its works very well except that the screensaver goes to quarter
screen sometimes. Maybe by KDE4.2 they will have it together :slight_smile:

vinoman2

vinoman2’s Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=1405
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=398868