KDE 20190713: 2012 New Packages

Not sure what causes that large update, but the machine has been rewritten and KDE 5.16.3 is not there. GCC is 9.9.1.

The following product is going to be upgraded:
  openSUSE Tumbleweed  20190708-0 -> 20190713-0

The following 6 packages require a system reboot:
  dbus-1 glibc libopenssl1_0_0 libopenssl1_1 systemd udev

2012 packages to upgrade, 8 new, 1 to remove.
Overall download size: 1019.3 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, 143.1 MiB will be freed.
lsb_release -a && uname -r
LSB Version:    n/a
Distributor ID: openSUSE
Description:    openSUSE Tumbleweed
Release:        20190713
Codename:       n/a

All green, 30 minutes.

July 9th announcement:


What makes you think it would have made it through the acceptance process yet…?


Yes, a large update here - 1.4G (both KDE and Gnome are installed).

They probably recompiled a lot because of the compiler update. But gcc is not installed on the system that I upgraded, so I didn’t look closely at that.

If quick KDE updates are that important, maybe you should consider running Krypton. I downloaded the live iso this evening, and booted. It is at Plasma 5.16.80, which is likely a beta for 5.17. I didn’t install. I’m happy to wait a few more days for 5.16.3 to arrive.

glibc causes reinstall of everything which uses it. Installed some 6,000 packages this night.

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20190713
KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.59.0
Qt Version: 5.13.0
Kernel Version: 5.1.16-1-default
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 31,1 GiB

The rebuild on the 20190713 snapshot was due to the introduction of “Link Time Optimization”

See this post on the factory mailing list: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2019-07/msg00240.html

and this: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:LTO for an explanation of LTO.

Huge update 3092 rpm and more than 9 Gbits, perfectly successfulrotfl!

I thought that one week was enough to pull it out. There are 30 bug fixes for dot 3 and dot 4 schedule is set for the end of July. I guess we have to wait and they’ll be another big patch sooner or later. Anyway, the machine is back to a stable state on KDE and this update is just another bonus.


A pretty good explanation of this update, only good news for users.


Possibly, but you can keep an eye on things with https://openqa.opensuse.org/

Then there is this which may be of interest https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Factory_submissions which all packages follow when updated in the respective development repository, built and the submitted…

hey were not on vacations. Retrieving packages were dam slow on main server.

The following product is going to be upgraded:
  openSUSE Tumbleweed  20190713-0 -> 20190716-0

The following 2 packages require a system reboot:
  glibc libopenssl1_1

330 packages to upgrade, 4 new, 1 to remove.
Overall download size: 418.6 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional
662.5 KiB will be used.

    Note: System reboot required.
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y

Thanks Malcolm! Already tried some TW testing channels, but I have not found my way yet, this is another one. The highest Kernel remains our main target with secure boot.

uname -a
Linux linux-rpm 5.2.1-2.gbf5c01b-default #1 SMP Mon Jul 15 05:32:47 UTC 2019 (bf5c01b) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
mokutil  --sb-state
SecureBoot enabled
xdg-settings get default-web-browser

I was getting around 500 kB/s download speed. That’s about the same speed as I was getting yesterday for 20190713. It is usually slow just after release. If I wait a few hours, I will normally get a better speed.

I did not run into any obvious problems with this update.

Can also be slow if using https, but generally while syncing things are slow.

I download at 1 - 2 Mbit to make a 9 Gbit update, I spent very little, there’s also a novelty for Thumbleweed for track packaging

8:30, PM is the worst time for speed on a cable network. Did not have that problem with the previous big patch, but speed drop to 40Mbps instead of 70. No problems here too, the desktop is stable.