Kaffeine Repeatedly Fails After Playing One Video

Running openSUSE 12.1, Kaffeine 1.2.2, KDE 4.7.2 Release 5, latest patches applied.

For the last few weeks, maybe a month, since I did some updates, Kaffeine has had a serious problem. I play a music video or a TV show, and the next time I try to play a video Kaffeine will load it but it won’t play., No error message, no nothing, it just starts to play, then instantly stops playing so fast I don’t even see any part of the video. It won’t play MP3’s either.

I discovered if I delete the Kaffeine profile under .kde4/share/apps, or if I restart Kaffeine, then it can resume playing - until the next time it happens, which might be right away or might be a couple days later. I assume that somehow it is corrupting its profile repeatedly.

Anyone seen this behavior recently? Any suggestions? I’ve tried uninstalling, deleting the profile, and reinstalling but the problem recurs eventually.

Kaffeine usually gives me nothing but problems. I would suggest perhaps trying dragon player. If you have packman enabled try vlc or smplayer. As for debugging it you might try running it from the terminal emulator to see if it shows any information.

Here is a list of some bugs. I could not find anything really relevant you might find some solutions: http://bit.ly/NapqIi

richardstevenhack wrote:

>
> Running openSUSE 12.1, Kaffeine 1.2.2, KDE 4.7.2 Release 5, latest
> patches applied.
>
> For the last few weeks, maybe a month, since I did some updates,
> Kaffeine has had a serious problem. I play a music video or a TV show,
> and the next time I try to play a video Kaffeine will load it but it
> won’t play., No error message, no nothing, it just starts to play, then
> instantly stops playing so fast I don’t even see any part of the video.
> It won’t play MP3’s either.
>
> I discovered if I delete the Kaffeine profile under .kde4/share/apps,
> or if I restart Kaffeine, then it can resume playing - until the next
> time it happens, which might be right away or might be a couple days
> later. I assume that somehow it is corrupting its profile repeatedly.
>
> Anyone seen this behavior recently? Any suggestions? I’ve tried
> uninstalling, deleting the profile, and reinstalling but the problem
> recurs eventually.

I see this behaviour too, KDE 4.8.4 on openSUSE 12.2 RC2, I didn’t have this
behaviour previously on this version of KDE4, not when I was using KDE 4.7
series.

Do you by any chance install replacement or additional encoding packages
from packman repositories? I do here and I suspect that it’s related to the
problem.

I might have some additional codecs from Packman, it’s really impossible for me to remember. But I’m inclined to think it was after I did a recent update about a month or so ago.

Poking around in, I found these errors in .xsessions-errors:

kaffeine(3325)/kio (KDirModel) KDirModelPrivate::_k_slotDeleteItems: No node found for item that was just removed: KUrl(“file:///LinuxData2/Work/2012 Calendar.htm”)
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id: 0x3825457
QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
kaffeine(15922): Communication problem with “kaffeine” , it probably crashed.
Error message was: “org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply” : " “Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)” "

These errors are of course utterly useless unless you’re a KDE programmer… For instance, I have no idea what the URL for the locally stored calender.html file has to do with Kaffeine - that’s just a saved HTML file with a 2012 calender on it which has nothing to do with Kaffeine.

Sigh… I’ll probably have to uninstall Kaffeine. The reason I use Kaffeine instead of VLC or MPlayer or KMPlayer (and I have them all installed) is because Kaffeine is the only one with a directory tab where I can keep my music directory open at all times. All the other players require me to open a file browser. Oh, well, minor annoyance. I guess Kaffeine is out of here until it’s fixed upstream… Having to constantly delete the .kaffeine directory and/or reload the app is just too much of an irritation to continue using it.