k3b Problem burning iso file

I recently migrated to 13.2 from 13.1 (clean install new drive). When I attempt to burn an iso file I get the following error message after the disk is about 90% complete: The file is tails 1.3 i386.iso with a size of 910MB.

“Fatal error during recording Input/Output error”

Checking the iso file using standard GPG protocol the file tests OK.

The fault file is listed below for information. I would appreciate any suggestions on direction to resolve this issue.

Log file from k3b-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burned media

DVD-R Sequential

Devices

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 LK00 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump] %7]

System

K3b Version: 2.0.80
KDE Version: 4.14.4
Qt Version: 4.8.6
Kernel: 3.16.7-7-desktop

Used versions

growisofs: 7.1

growisofs

Executing ‘builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0’
/dev/sr0: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user request…
/dev/sr0: reserving 465885 blocks
/dev/sr0: “Current Write Speed” is 16.4x1352KBps.
98304/954132480 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 970:29 RBU 100.0% UBU 33.3%
98304/954132480 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 1455:44 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
98304/954132480 ( 0.0%) @0.0x, remaining 2102:44 RBU 100.0% UBU 100.0%
13762560/954132480 ( 1.4%) @3.0x, remaining 18:13 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
45416448/954132480 ( 4.8%) @6.9x, remaining 6:20 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
77594624/954132480 ( 8.1%) @7.0x, remaining 4:19 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
110297088/954132480 (11.6%) @7.1x, remaining 3:18 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
136937472/954132480 (14.4%) @5.8x, remaining 2:53 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
170524672/954132480 (17.9%) @7.3x, remaining 2:31 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
204636160/954132480 (21.4%) @7.4x, remaining 2:11 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
237731840/954132480 (24.9%) @7.2x, remaining 1:57 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
272826368/954132480 (28.6%) @7.6x, remaining 1:47 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
306806784/954132480 (32.2%) @7.4x, remaining 1:37 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.1%
342851584/954132480 (35.9%) @7.8x, remaining 1:27 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
372834304/954132480 (39.1%) @6.5x, remaining 1:22 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
409829376/954132480 (43.0%) @8.0x, remaining 1:14 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
447283200/954132480 (46.9%) @8.1x, remaining 1:06 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
485261312/954132480 (50.9%) @8.2x, remaining 1:00 RBU 100.0% UBU 96.9%
523698176/954132480 (54.9%) @8.3x, remaining 0:54 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
562692096/954132480 (59.0%) @8.4x, remaining 0:48 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
602144768/954132480 (63.1%) @8.5x, remaining 0:42 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
635174912/954132480 (66.6%) @7.2x, remaining 0:38 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.1%
675577856/954132480 (70.8%) @8.7x, remaining 0:32 RBU 100.0% UBU 35.6%
716472320/954132480 (75.1%) @8.9x, remaining 0:27 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.8%
757858304/954132480 (79.4%) @9.0x, remaining 0:22 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
799768576/954132480 (83.8%) @9.1x, remaining 0:17 RBU 100.0% UBU 98.1%
840499200/954132480 (88.1%) @8.8x, remaining 0:12 RBU 100.0% UBU 97.5%
877887488/954132480 (92.0%) @8.1x, remaining 0:08 RBU 100.0% UBU 96.2%

growisofs command:

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=4gms -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:465885 -use-the-force-luke=dummy -use-the-force-luke=dao:465885 -dvd-compat -speed=16 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

I had a similar burn result in kubuntu recently. It errored out at 98%
But the actual DVD was OK and worked normally (movie DVD .iso made with devede)
The same .iso burned in OS 13.2 k3b was fine

Thanks for your suggestion. Checking the dvd it does in fact work fine. Like to know if you feel I should send a bug report. If so should it be to KDE or openSuse?

It’s KDE that develops k3b, not openSUSE, so you’d better file a bugreport there.

But the question is whether this is really a bug in k3b. k3b does not do the burning itself, it just calls other tools. (cdrecord)

First I would suggest to try with the original cdrtools. Upto 13.1 only a fork called cdrkit was included in openSUSE which is basically unmaintained since years AFAIK. 13.2 contains the original cdrtools again, which should work better in most cases, but if you upgraded from 13.1 you probably still have cdrkit (wodim) installed.

So remove the package cdrkit-cdrtools-compat and install cdrtools instead. Can you reproduce the issue then?

I removed “cdrkit-cdrtools-compat” and attempted addition of “cdrtools”. I got the following message from YAST asking for my choice of options. Like to know how to proceed.

YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2015-03-02 15:51:10

cdrtools-3.01~a25-2.8.2.x86_64 requires cdda2wav = 3.01~a25-2.8.2, but this requirement cannot be provided uninstallable providers:
cdda2wav-3.01~a25-2.8.2.i586[repo-update] cdda2wav-3.01~a25-2.8.2.x86_64[repo-update]

  ] do not install cdrtools-3.01~a25-2.8.2.x86_64      

] do not install cdrtools-3.01~a25-2.8.2.x86_64
] break cdrtools-3.01~a25-2.8.2.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies
] deinstallation of icedax-1.1.11-20.1.7.x86_64

YaST2 conflicts list END

Choose option 3, “deinstallation of icedax-1.1.11-20.1.7.x86_64”. icedax is cdrkit’s replacement for cdrtools’ cdda2wav. If you install cdrtools, the latter is installed as well and requires the deinstallation of the former.

Your suggestion to deinstall icedax worked. The problem has been eliminated. Thank you for your help and rapid response.