K3b new file install missing dependencies?

Opensuse 12.3, KDE, clean install, with K3b. The program will not burn saying: “Mkisofs executable not found”. I tried re-installing the program using Opensuses file download. I tried it manually and there are at least three different files missing that it will not continue with. I did the one click install and that does not work either. ??

Just tried simpleburn and am getting errors. xfsburn downloads a TON of files and exits with no error. It seems to be burning fine. So not sure if this is a base Opensuse 12.3 files missing on installation disk, or if the packages are incomplete, or a combination of both.

It looks like xfsburn, must have downloaded the dependencies for k3b as well, since after a reinstall of k3b it is now working. I would conclude that the k3b file available is missing files.

You do need to add in the codecs file after a clean install. The next terminal command should show if it is there:

rpm -qa | grep -i k3b

On my PC I see this result:

k3b-codecs-2.0.2-15.49.x86_64
k3b-2.0.2-15.49.x86_64

Thank You,

Are you saying that your K3b is working correctly at this time? I have those files you listed, plus debug stuff. It wants to work, but when it is told to burn it just sits there. Then abends evntually. So the other burn program, must have installed the mkifsof file. ??

I have reinstalled 3 times. NO joy. Maybe I should remove it, and then try fresh. ?

Yes, k3b does work OK. The codecs file does not get installed normally until you add in the Packman Repository. It burns just fine and the only time (recently) I thought it was not I was trying to burn an image slightly larger than the blank DVD I had inserted. This tells me the error messages in k3b are not too good in saying why it is not working. For me this one issue was when using a DVD+R disk where only a DVD-R was large enough to hold the image. Apparently the DVD-R is ever so slightly larger, but the facts are k3b did/does work, but may not work when trying to do something that can not be done. As far as abending, no I have not had it error out like that. In times past such behavior could be traced to bad hardware. One thing is for sure, I do believe it is not working for you, but we do not know why that is so. Have you had any other install or operation issues? Did you use the same drive to install openSUSE by chance? Can you tell us more about your hardware and its age? Have you cleaned the drive out lately, blowing out any dust that might reside within the drive?

Thank You,

you can probably start k3b from konsole and paste the errors you see in this thread within “code” tags

I wonder if it is something in my home directory. I completely uninstalled, and re-installed. Now it won’t even come up under my user.

I did try to fire it up under root and got the error that the MP3 Audio Decoder Plugin not found. Please install MAD MP3 Decoders. I looked under MAD in the download section and found something like madlib or something, but that did not solve it.

"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/HL_DT_ST_DVDRAM_GH22NS40_K4D99E20017" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/HL_DT_ST_DVDRAM_GH22NS40_K4D99E20017" : property "Device" does not exist 
k3b(13939)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(13939)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(13939)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(13939)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK1170YBHXWHLD" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST3000DM001_9YN166_S1F118EW" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK1170B8G13R0P" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS724040ALE640_PK1311PAGN5NDX" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST33000651AS_Z290P7JX" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/HL_DT_ST_DVDRAM_GH22NS40_K4D99E20017" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK1175YAJLWUJX" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD20EADS_32S2B0_WD_WCAVY3847719" : property "Drive" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda" : property "Name" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS724040ALE640_PK1311PAGN5NDX" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS724040ALE640_PK1311PAGN5NDX" : property "Device" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD20EADS_32S2B0_WD_WCAVY3847719" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD20EADS_32S2B0_WD_WCAVY3847719" : property "Device" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0" : property "Name" does not exist 
k3b(13939) KSambaSharePrivate::testparmParamValue: We got some errors while running testparm "Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: pid directory /var/run/samba does not exist
" 
QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receive

I fired up k3b from within my user account and it just sits there. No errors, nothing. I see there are 10 instances of k3b as a process and 3 are zombies.

After killing all those processes, it starts up and now it is complaining about missing the MP3 codecs it seems. ??

The hardware is quite new, dvd burner is what was used to install software, and was not having trouble with this drive before 12.3 install. had 12.2 before. I can play movies, so thought I had all the codecs, but apparently not.

The MP3 codec for k3b is part of the package “k3b-codecs”. But it is only needed for burning AudioCDs out of mp3 files and ripping AudioCDs to mp3 files. Burning a data CD/DVD should work without it.

“mkisofs” is not needed either. Do you have the package “genisoimage” installed? That’s a mkisofs replacement that k3b should just use instead if it’s installed…

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Have been out of state. I would like to start this up again though.

I just checked and the genisoimage package is installed. mkisofs is NOT installed. I looked to see if k3b-codecs is installed, but it is not and not found in the standard collection. I activated packman and I am getting compatibility errors:

k3b-codecs-2.0.2-16.5.x86_64 requires k3b = 2.0.2-16-5, but this requirement cannot be provided.

I have to option to downgrade k3b, no to install etc.

rpm -qa | grep -i k3b
k3b-debugsource-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64
kde3-k3b-debuginfo-1.0.5-67.9.x86_64
k3b-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64
kde3-k3b-debugsource-1.0.5-67.9.x86_64
kde3-k3b-arts-1.0.5-67.9.x86_64
kde3-k3b-lang-1.0.5-67.9.noarch
k3b-debuginfo-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64
k3b-devel-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64
kde3-k3b-arts-debuginfo-1.0.5-67.9.x86_64
kde3-k3b-1.0.5-67.9.x86_64
k3b-lang-2.0.2-26.1.2.noarch
kde3-k3b-devel-1.0.5-67.9.x86_64

The site I’m using is: Index of /suse/openSUSE_12.3/

You just need to switch to using the Packman version of k3b. You could switch in mass from terminal like this, I do not know exactly what you called Packman as letter case does matter and if you used the link for All Of Packman:

sudo zypper refresh
sudo zypper dup packman

This should do the trick for you, but the word Packman must be the name exactly that you have used.

Thank You,

Thanks for the response, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it just me or is the link in the email now borked from the server end? If I click on it, it says corrupt location. I have to manually get back here.
  2. I’m not sure how you mean by case matters. Based on what I’m reading in: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage_11.3 it indicates I need to disable some repositories and leave like packman active. So using just zypper dup packman will come up with the help screen, saying too many arguments. So maybe I just misunderstood. Do I need to disable the Opensuse repositories and make sure packman is enabled? Then just issue the command zypper dup?

Well shoot… SPent some time responding only for it to go the ether space. ??

Let me try again. Is it just me or is the server sending out corrupt links letting me know there is a response? When I click on it, it says corrupt. ?
Anyhow… I’m not totally sure what you meant. Did you mean to say: zypper dup -r packman? https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Zypper_usage_11.3 indicates I should remove unwanted repositories, so perhaps this is where I’m not clear. Would I uncheck all the standard 12.3 repositories?

Just zypper dup packman says too many arguments. BUT, if I DO add the -r, I’m right back to the

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Computing distribution upgrade...
4 Problems:
Problem: nothing provides libvdpau.so.1 needed by libxine2-32bit-1.2.3-84.3.x86_64
Problem: nothing provides libQtCore.so.4 needed by k3b-2.0.2-16.5.i586
Problem: nothing provides libQtCore.so.4 needed by amarok-2.7.1-13.18.i586
Problem: nothing provides kdebase4-runtime >= 4.10.5 needed by k3b-2.0.2-16.5.x86_64

Problem: nothing provides libvdpau.so.1 needed by libxine2-32bit-1.2.3-84.3.x86_64
 Solution 1: keep obsolete libxine2-32bit-1.2.2-9.1.2.x86_64
 Solution 2: break libxine2-32bit-1.2.3-84.3.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/s/r/c] (c): 

So the problem is, every time in the past, every single time, I start willy nilly guessing on what to roll back etc, borks it beyond recognition. There must be an easier way.

Yes, never try commands from total memory:

sudo zypper dist-upgrade -r Packman

Thank You,

Using the command below results in:

zypper dist-upgrade -r packman
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Computing distribution upgrade…
4 Problems:
Problem: nothing provides libQtCore.so.4 needed by k3b-2.0.2-16.5.i586
Problem: nothing provides libQtCore.so.4 needed by amarok-2.7.1-13.18.i586
Problem: nothing provides kdebase4-runtime >= 4.10.5 needed by k3b-2.0.2-16.5.x86_64

Solution 1: keep obsolete libxine2-32bit-1.2.2-9.1.2.x86_64
Solution 2: break libxine2-32bit-1.2.3-84.3.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/s/r/c] (c)

And if you try this: Solution 1: keep obsolete libxine2-32bit-1.2.2-9.1.2.x86_64?

Thank You,

It then says: Problem: nothing provides libQtCore.so.4 needed by k3b-2.0.2-16.5.i586
Solution 1: keep obsolete k3b-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64
Solution 2: break k3b-2.0.2-16.5.i586 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Again, lets try: Solution 1: keep obsolete k3b-2.0.2-26.1.2.x86_64

Thank You,

I will reply quickly while the update is taking place, in case it blows up.

I selected 1 for the rest and it is going. Fingers crossed.

It seems to be a problem though with the whole concept though if this was a fresh install, and after doing the fresh install, when trying to use packman, nothing is compatible. I am just guessing that pacman group does not work with the 12.3 group, or is it more complex… like maybe the newer versions in k3b are not compatible with the dvd burning capabilities? It just seems unnecessarily complex, when it seemingly worked pretty seamlessly.

Thanks for your guidance. I’ll report back the results.

Later: Good news, it did NOT blow it up. Whew. Bad news is the k3b-codecs would still not install. I HAD to go to an older version of k3b. So I may well blow it up yet, but I think there is something else wrong… this should not happen on a new install, where I want to be able to burn DVD’s, imho.

You should now be able to go into YaST / Software Management, search on k3b, go to the version tab and select only the bullet for k3b files from Packman. Give that a try.

Thank You,

Something is still not right. It acts like it is writing but nothing is happening. I am going to try removing all of k3b and then reboot and try again. I can not even cancel and close out k3b. It hangs. I have to use xkill to get rid of it.

Okay, I just did a sanity check. I was beginning to doubt my dvd drive at this point. I just tried a different dvd burn program called xfburn and it is working.

Okay, I have everything deleted. Only packman repository enabled. When attempting to install k3b, the k3b-codecs fails again. I have the read out of k3b from the bash prompt, but forget how to insert it into a window. I’ll go see if I can find that again, so I don’t get into trouble.

Thanks again