k3b: how to add flac encoder?

As K3b is the standard ripper I suppose it must be possible rip an audio cd to flac?
In the plugin menu I see that the flac decoder is installed but not the encoder. Did someone already succeeded in installing the flac encoder plugin?

FYI: With virtual folders I am able to copy from the flac directory. It works to encode with flac like this but I experience the last seconds of the song are gone…

fossbox

This assumes you are using 11.2, but you can scroll up for earlier versions

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

yes, I’m on opensuse 11.2 and after the instalation I did do the one click multimedia and restricted format installation.
So probable something must have gone wrong there?

Do I understand correctly that the flac encoder plugin should have been automatically installed with the one click multimedia and restricted format installation?

Ok, I’ll try to install it again and come back!

flac is unusual in the multimedia settings for openSUSE in that it is supplied by openSUSE and not packman. Though of course it’s free, it’s not like there is any need to circumnavigate restrictive codecs.

My recommendation was to make sure your multimedia was set up correctly. my k3b will rip to flac no problem, as will jripper which I also use sometimes.

i am not sure whether a dedicated plugin for flac encoding exists. In my install, flac is configured via the “k3b external audio encoder” plugin.

When I put in a CD, and press the “start ripping” button, I get 4 options: wave, mp3, flac and ogg vorbis.

using k3b 1.69 on kde 4.3.1, opensuse 11.2

when installing the restricted formats 1-click install, I had a conflict with libxine1 which I had to resolve manually (probably a repo priority problem)

hope that helps bro :wink:

the lixine codecs have to be allowed to swab vendor to Packman
The Package switch should do that
**http://tinyurl.com/yejwull

ok, I’m able to rip to flac with k3b through the external encoder. Probably by installing the package “flac”. Libflac and so on were installed but “flac” not.

Now, I come to the same problem again as I had with encoding flac through copying from the virtual folders. The last 2 seconds are cut away. Any idea how to solve?

fossbox

thanks, I didn’t know about this “switch system packages”, guess it’s something new. I’m not sure what it does though :slight_smile:
a bit OT I guess but…
I see you can cancel this action, can you also undo it once you have switched? i.e. switch back to the old system packages?

I can confirm this behavior: the length reported by the flac file is correct, however, when playing back, it stops 2 seconds before the end. When using mplayer I see the player jumps back in time in the end, so I am not sure if I am really missing any audio. In amarok, it stops prematurely, but maybe it stretches the timeline because I don’t hear an abrupt stop (maybe bad sample track choice ;)).

Are you sure you are missing audio?

anyhow, since both virtual folders and k3b use the flac executable, there must be some kind of problem with flac. that, or all players implement flac wrong :slight_smile:

In such an unlikely even - Indeed yes. View by ‘System’ use the same method.

caf4926: ok, thanks
fossbox: it seems audacious plays my flac back in a correct sense, so I am guessing it is indeed a player problem? or rather some library all those players share. congratulations, you found a bug :wink:

I don’t get this playback issue. Try kaffeine - the kde4 one works well.

It does look like a player problem. Kaffeine (1.0 pre-2 on kde 4.3.1 release 6) stops playing 2s before the end while smplayer is playing until the end.

fossbox

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:36:03 GMT, mxttie <mxttie@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>fossbox;2095076 Wrote:
>>
>> Now, I come to the same problem again as I had with encoding flac
>> through copying from the virtual folders. The last 2 seconds are cut
>> away. Any idea how to solve?
>
>I can confirm this behavior: the length reported by the flac file is
>correct, however, when playing back, it stops 2 seconds before the end.
>When using mplayer I see the player jumps back in time in the end, so I
>am not sure if I am really missing any audio. In amarok, it stops
>prematurely, but maybe it stretches the timeline because I don’t hear an
>abrupt stop (maybe bad sample track choice ;)).
>
>Are you sure you are missing audio?
>
>anyhow, since both virtual folders and k3b use the flac executable,
>there must be some kind of problem with flac. that, or all players
>implement flac wrong :slight_smile:

In a lot of CDs there is 2 seconds of “silence” between tracks and
this may account for the difference in time.

as the OP noted, different players yield different results. the flac file itself is correct.

i was thinking maybe some players try to do a fade out near the end. if a flac file is missing seek point data, this maybe fails…?