k3b hangs for a while on startup screen

On my system, K3b hangs for several minutes on the startup image. Whatever else I then do, the K3b startup image (the one that just says K3b is burning) overwrites it on the screen. And once it starts, it often hangs up again while writing media. Nothing about this shows up in /var/log/messages. What might be causing this, and what can I do about it?

Has this always happened.
What message do you get starting k3b from a terminal?

Post the result of:

rpm -qi k3b

Perhaps try deleting:

I took your suggestion of running k3b from a terminal and saw what was happening. k3b was trying to determine the characteristics of the CD drives and was taking forever to do it, and also getting a couple of errors in the process. Here is a revealing extract of the terminal output (it’s pretty long, so I’m not posting all of it):

/dev/sr0 resolved to /dev/sr0
/dev/sr0 is block device (0)
/dev/sr0 seems to be cdrom
bus: 3, id: 0, lun: 0
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: init()
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0 feature: CD Mastering
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0 feature: CD Track At Once
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0 feature: DVD+R
(K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) failed:
                           command:    GET CONFIGURATION (46)
                           errorcode:  72
                           sense key:  DATA PROTECT (7)
                           asc:        0
                           ascq:       2
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0 unknown profile: 2
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: dataLen: 60
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for TAO
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for SAO
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for SAO_R96P
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for SAO_R96R
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for RAW_R16
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for RAW_R96P
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: checking for RAW_R96R
(K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) failed:
                           command:    GET PERFORMANCE (ac)
                           errorcode:  70
                           sense key:  NOT READY (2)
                           asc:        3a
                           ascq:       0
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0: GET PERFORMANCE length det failed.
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0:  Number of supported write speeds via 2A: 1
(K3bDevice::Device) /dev/sr0 : 9173 KB/s
(K3bDevice::DeviceManager) setting current write speed of device /dev/sr0 to 3324

Since there are two drives and they both are doing the same thing, I doubt if the drive hardware is responsible. Moreover, the drives work fine in Windows. Both drives are attached to an IDE controller on the motherboard.

Here’s the other output you wanted to see:

pwa@suillus2:~> rpm -qi k3b
Name        : k3b                          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0.5                             Vendor: openSUSE
Release     : 48.22                         Build Date: Wed 03 Dec 2008 11:28:03 AM EST
Install Date: Sat 03 Jan 2009 08:26:30 AM EST      Build Host: build21
Group       : Productivity/Multimedia/CD/Record   Source RPM: k3b-1.0.5-48.22.src.rpm
Size        : 12069421                         License: GPL v2 or later
Signature   : RSA/8, Wed 03 Dec 2008 11:28:56 AM EST, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
URL         : http://k3b.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : A Universal CD and DVD Burning Application
Description :
K3b is a CD burning application that supports Ogg Vorbis, MP3 audio
files, DVD burning, CDDB, and much more.

    Sebastian Trueg <trueg@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
    Thomas Froescher <tfroescher@gmx.de>
Distribution: openSUSE 11.1

If the drives are both on the same IDE cable, try just one connected.

Also make sure you use Packman’s k3b, the one you have is NOT.
You also need k3b-codecs.
Open Software Management and search: k3b
Click the versions tab in the lower quadrant, like in this

Make sure k3b and k3b-codecs are installed and the radio button is Packman

I tried rejumpering the drives, using Master/Slave rather than Cable Select, and that cured the problem. Maybe this isn’t the best place to ask these questions, but:

(1) Is this necessarily a pure hardware problem, or might software also be involved somehow?

(2) I could understand it if cable select didn’t work at all, but why would it work, but badly?

(3) Are there any diagnostic programs in OpenSUSE that would help me find out for sure what is happening?

You are right place.
You should follow the instruction what caf4926 tells you .
Try out if it tells you a error display here so they can help you;).
But if it take 3 days to solve it be,relax and work on the problem.
Just wait for the answer and you try out,if you don`t know how to do it ask again.Only patience you get some where:).

Good luck


I tried reconfiguring the 2 CD drives as master/slave instead of cable select, and the problem went away. I then went back to cable select and the problems did not come back. I conclude that the cables weren’t seated properly. The connection was bad enough to produce missed signals and such, but not so bad that it didn’t work at all. That partial success was what confused me.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Happy to hear you sorted it;)