Just updated Kernel and Chromium no longer works.

I just completed a software upgrade of the kernel using the software upgrader. I restarted the computer. Now Chromium doesn’t work. I reinstalled Chromium and it still doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Try starting it via CLI (terminal) and report back with any errors shown.

There’s an earlier thread today, with a workaround. And there’s an active bug report for the problem.

Terminal error:
Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)

From the other thread, Chromium starts from the terminal with:

chromium --disable-namespace-sandbox


FWIW, same error message here with oS 13.2 KDE4 chrome 48.0.2564.103 64bit updated today IINM.

Using the switch above works with (unrelated, I think) error messages about kwallet:

> google-chrome-stable --disable-namespace-sandbox 
[21501:21527:0206/003846:ERROR:logging.h(808)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files
[21501:21527:0206/003846:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(411)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
[21501:21527:0206/003847:ERROR:logging.h(808)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
[21501:21527:0206/003847:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(411)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)

But it works, at least netflix.

Hello All,

There is a bugzilla thread on this… It also effects google-chrome-stable… As a potential workaround you can also run “google-chrome-stable --disable-namespace-sandbox” for the time being, BUT NOTE that I do not know what type of effects\risks this would have on a multi-user system…

The error is as follows:

g7-2275dx:~> google-chrome-stable
Check failed: NamespaceUtils::WriteToIdMapFile("/proc/self/gid_map", gid_)

Bugzilla Thread:

There are some patched kernel RPMs at the following openSuse Build Service repository that have fixed the issue for me:

It appears that there will be an updated set of kernel packages released at some point soon to fix this issue with chromium and google-chrome-stable.

I hope each of you are well,


Yes, it affects all chrome-based web browsers, e.g. Chromium, Google Chrome, Vivaldi. However Maxthon works.
Thanks for your hint, command chromium --disable-namespace-sandbox works fine for me.