Just not enough time ... !

Wow. With all of the projects and interests – tech and non-tech – I have on the go, I have a very tough time keeping up on the New Posts on the Forum, something that is essential if I hope to help other openSUSE users, because I need to select items that I think I can help with.

At least I manage to occasionally squeeze out the time to work out on my Gretsch guitar and write more songs … but, again, just not often enough!

How about you? Do you find it tough to keep up, with everything else you are involved in taking up your time?

Depends. Sometimes all I want ( no Gretsch, but a 39 year old Morris and a nice Hudson, both accoustic ) doesn’t come together well with how customers plan their business with me :-(. I don’t actually read all the incoming posts here. Some have clear titles saying they’re dealing with stuff that I feel I can’t contribute to, skip. I used to hate to leave threads unfinished, but I’ve learned that others will pick up what I’ve started, that’s the way community forums work and I love that about them.

Yes, work and family and work commitments need to come first. As far as these forums go, there’s generally always a number of knowledgeable people around at any given time who can help, (provided the titles are clear and information given is relevant).

Yeah, I remember how that works. One of the reasons I am pleased to be retired! :stuck_out_tongue:

… but, even in retirement, many things do not come together, best-laid plans and all are often all blasted to smithereens!

I don’t actually read all the incoming posts here. Some have clear titles saying they’re dealing with stuff that I feel I can’t contribute to, skip.

Yeah, me too, but I pop them open in another window as I go through the list, then just close them all without reading them. This marks the ones I skip as “read” and they do not show up when I hit New Posts again. Easier way for me to handle many pages of New Posts.

I used to hate to leave threads unfinished, but I’ve learned that others will pick up what I’ve started, that’s the way community forums work and I love that about them.

Indeed. But, I am still at the point where I have a tough time leaving threads unfinished, haven’t been on the forums as long as you.:wink:

I skim through the new post titles, and selectively read the ones where I think I might be able to help. I don’t try to read all new posts.

Note to posters – make sure that your thread title clearly reflects the problems you are having. That way, you are more likely to get responses from the folk who can help with that particular problem.

Yes, I agree with that.

I sometimes notice that several people are trying to help a poster. And that can get confusing (as in “too many cooks spoil the broth”). In that case, I tend to stop replying, and leave the thread to the other responders.

My sixpence (for what it’s worth) – yes, exactly.
[HR][/HR]With respect to the new thread posts, I tend to go hunting for the posts where no one has replied, at all; and then only attempt to help if my advice would make sense.
My “Subscribed Threads” list is always the first place I go to when I login.

… yes, we “helpers” tend to walk over each other at times, and it is especially bothersome when the OP responds to one and ignores the others, since more than one can sometimes help fill in the gaps.

When another helper joins me in a thread, I usually welcome the help, because I don’t know everything. But, as you say, it can sometimes turn into a real mess.

Also, sometimes more than one train of thought can be useful in helping to expose the underlying cause of a problem, or help the OP make progress by supplying more information needed to properly define the problem.

On 2016-10-09, Fraser Bell <Fraser_Bell@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
> At least I manage to occasionally squeeze out the time to work out on my
> Gretsch guitar and write more songs … but, again, just not often
> enough!
>
> How about you? Do you find it tough to keep up, with everything else
> you are involved in taking up your time?

Know the feeling! Been swamped for many months and my Ibanez has just stayed in the case :(. Only briefly scan the
openSUSE usenets and baulk at the posts (there’s always tonnes inside Install/Boot/Login), and scurry away. Look forward
to a time when I’m actually able to give back to the community…
>

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 04:06:02 +0000, Fraser Bell wrote:

> How about you? Do you find it tough to keep up, with everything else
> you are involved in taking up your time?

I find that using an NNTP reader helps a lot with finding posts that are
interesting to me, as well as to keep track of threads I’m participating
in.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Absolutely.

Some of us are rather light on the details of “how”, so it helps when someone else jumps in with a step-by-step or specific command. There are times I have tried to do that, even when I do not know much in that area, but the added detail lets the OP come back with information that the other techs here can use to discover and solve the problem.

Time zones can also be a bit of a problem. I might ask for specific details, but it is the end of the night for me, so I shut down and go to bed. In the meantime, the OP replies with the necessary info, and it is much better if someone in another time zone jumps in right away to continue the help.

Well … I believe you do, but like the rest of us, cannot do so as much as you would like.:wink:

For me it’s the opposite :slight_smile: I just subscribe to the threads that I’m interested in and then just click on settings to see if there are any new posts there.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:36:02 +0000, glistwan wrote:

> For me it’s the opposite :slight_smile: I just subscribe to the threads that I’m
> interested in and then just click on settings to see if there are any
> new posts there.

I could see that working for certain use cases - like not skimming each
message in most/all threads. For doing moderation, though, I do need
eyes on each message, even if it’s just for a second.

Also lets me do things like add scoring rules based on individuals,
subjects, etc to help find things that might need more eyeballs on
them. :slight_smile:

Jim Henderson

Same here. I’ve used subscriptions in the past, but skimming the New Posts works better for me. When time allows me to.

Sure I totally understand that moderating is a different use case. Just wanted to point out that for an average user going the HTTP way might be more convenient.

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 07:46:01 +0000, glistwan wrote:

> Sure I totally understand that moderating is a different use case. Just
> wanted to point out that for an average user going the HTTP way might be
> more convenient.

Sure, it can be for those who are casual users. Fraser isn’t really a
casual user, though - he’s wanting to help more people. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson