I have downloaded, written to a USB and tried both. Oh, and I installed krypton.
Krypton is basically Tumbleweed with 4 additional repos:
KUA: KDE unstable applications
KUE: KDE unstable extras
KUF: KDE unstable frameworks
Qt55: A QT5.5 devel repo.
They bring this software before it is completely tested. And “argon” is similar, except that it has its additional repos based on Leap instead of Tumbleweed.
Booting Krypton from the iso (on a USB), there were lots of screen artifacts. Turning off desktop effects fixes that.
After installing, then updating (with “zypper dup”, the screen artifacts are gone. It’s possible that they were due to some graphics libraries not being on the iso, but added with the update. Krypton also includex xen, which I don’t know much about.
I also booted Argon from the USB. It froze soon after the GUI came up. I then rebooted with
on the kernel command line. It boot and ran fine that way, but complained about running out of disk space.
So I use Yast to reformat the hybrid partition (partition 3 on the USB) from “btrfs” to “ext4” (with no journal). With that change it booted fine and did properly use persistent storage. No screen artifacts. But maybe space wasn’t as tight. I don’t think xen was included, though I could be wrong.
Note that krypton used “ext2” for the hybrid partition, though it was mounted as if “ext4”. Apparently “btrfs” is currently causing problems for the hybrid (persistent storage) partition.
Installing krypton was similar to a typical install from a live KDE iso.
There’s a problem with the repos on the argon iso that I downloaded. The update-nonoss uses “updaet” where it should be “update”. Easy to fix, and that repo is usually empty anyway. And I think it was the KUE repo that showed as no existing. I found what looked to be the correct url to fix it. But I have to boot that USB to find out what I used.
I have not yet had time to try what is there. I do note that konqueror5 appears to be there. But “yakuake” is still the KDE4 version.