Just downloaded Milestone 7

Found updates in the factory repos today. After the update I have Milestone 7 and kernel-2.6.31-rc8-6-default i686. There’s a new splash screen when the Xserver starts.

Just starting to play around with it now. Looks good.

Hmm. Not so much luck here. :frowning:

If I boot normally, it gets to the new login screen, but doesn’t respond to any input except magic sys rq keys.

If I boot into runlevel 3, and startx, I get the desktop, but again, it refuses to respond to keyboard or mouse at all. Could be HAL or something? Maybe a half synced mirror.

Without meaning to hijack your thread, anyone got any advice for getting YaST (or zypper) to update from runlevel 3? If I run ‘ifconfig eth0 up’ it seems to activate my network, but attempts to update complain that they can’t find any repositories. Am I missing a step?

Cheers.

Don’t know the answer to your problem yet, but I can ease your mind about the 666th post.

It seems that #666 was translated incorrectly from the original text for the mark of the beast. It should have been #616. Not so interesting, eh. ;)*

I’m a Cancerian anyway - and water signs don’t go in for all that superstitious rubbish.

:slight_smile:

It’s weird. If I run YaST, I can open software management, and it gives me a list of things I can install - which I can only assume means it is online (unless it caches this list?).

But if I try to update or actually install something, it says it can’t find /content. I guess I’ll try again in a few days, and if still nothing, just reinstall.

Back to your scheduled programming!

It’s weird. If I run YaST, I can open software management, and it gives me a list of things I can install - which I can only assume means it is online (unless it caches this list?).

But if I try to update or actually install something, it says it can’t find /content.

Can you do zypper verify?

“Could not find /content…” or words to that effect. That seems to be the response to more or less everything. It’s like arguing with a recalcitrant 3 year old. :slight_smile:

strange; i also found myself with a new milestone after a surprisingly large zypper update, but for me everything works fine, including yast2 & zypper. perhaps you really caught the mirror while it wasn’t ready for you…

It’s definitely weird. I just tried yast2 and zypper (lr and verify) in a console at level 3 and they should and did work i.e. yast2 as root and those zypper commands as ordinary user. It must be zypper’s cli that is screwed. What happens if you try “rpm” commands in level 3?

rpm --rebuilddb for example works.

I think the problem is actually the net access - I tried running YaST before doing the ifconfig, and it still has a package list, so obviously it is caching that.

In all honesty, I think I’ll just reinstall from M7 at this stage - I’m not really familiar enough with stuff like command line networking to want to dig into this too deeply, and don’t fancy learning my way around on a potentially subtly broken system.

Thanks for the tips anyway.

Milestone 7 will have kernel-2.6.31-rc9.

Could be Access Denied

Thanks! I didn’t see that…

Gives me some hope, anyway. Now I have an incentive to figure out the network (which shouldn’t be too hard), and if I can’t I can hopefully just transfer an updated package across from a working system.

“Move the cursor HAL!”

“I can’t do that Dave…” :stuck_out_tongue:

Had the same thing. Noticed that during upgrade I had to make a choice between kernel-default and kernel-default-base. Installed kernel-default-base after upgrading, no conflict then. Did not solve matters. I then reinstalled all xorg packages and NVIDIA driver, which returned my power over mouse and keyboard.

I’m downloading Milestone 7 (KDE 4 i686) right now for an install. These problems seem to stem from users upgrading via Factory repos. Does anyone know if it is safe to install from the CD?

Knurpht wrote:

>
> Had the same thing. Noticed that during upgrade I had to make a choice
> between kernel-default and kernel-default-base. Installed
> kernel-default-base after upgrading, no conflict then. Did not solve
> matters. I then reinstalled all xorg packages and NVIDIA driver, which
> returned my power over mouse and keyboard.
>

I’ve updated from 6 to 7 on three machines and got different results but
not the problems you’re reporting.

All machines were incremental updates, one gave the new logon screen but
the other two didn’t, a second had dire problems in Kontact whereby
trying to read a news posting or e-mail caused the session to end so I
was presented with the logon screen. I made a fresh install of 6 on that
machine and updated to 7, got the new logon screen, but Kontact still
logged me out. Went back to 11.1 partition on that machine and Kontact
still worked OK - Phew!

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
“I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.”

Funny thing you should say that because you talk about horoscope signs which is also in the superstitious business rotfl!

How brave are you I had no problems but others have
see
[opensuse-factory] status: distribution](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2009-09/msg00186.html)

Using the Gnome CD M7 in Virtual Box it kept asking for root password - once to run the live installer and it also wanted to mount the VBox HD and kept asking for password also. Crazy stuff.
Installing now. I hate the darn screen lock too.

Reading the bug report referenced:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=537366
It appears an update to 2.6.31-7.1 of the kernel fixed that problem. Does this mean all milestone7 testers should do an immediate kernel update? … or should they stay with the base kernel that comes with milestone7 ?

OK, installed M6 today in the morning, updated via the repos to M7 and now I get the same problem!

I’m running i386 version on my Samsung NC10 - the keyboard registers keys right up until the login screen loads and then i’m screwed.*