Java Plugin for firefox

Hi

I’ve opensuse 11.2 and I have all java packages installed, but Java Plugin for firefox doesn’t work.
I’m getting this error:

**gcjwebplugin error: Failed to run /etc/alternatives/../../bin/java.  For more detail rerun "firefox -g" in a terminal window.

upiter@linux-yalp:~> firefox -g
upiter@linux-yalp:~> gcjwebplugin error: Failed to run /etc/alternatives/../../bin/java.  For more detail rerun "firefox -g" in a terminal window.

Howto solve this problem?**

# update-alternatives --all

There is only 1 program which provides jce_1.6.0_sun_local_policy
(/usr/lib/jvm-private/java-1_6_0-sun/jce/vanilla/local_policy.jar). Nothing to configure.

There is only 1 program which provides mount.ntfs
(/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g). Nothing to configure.

There is only 1 program which provides xulrunner
(/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1.9/xulrunner). Nothing to configure.

There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection    Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
*+        1    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java
          2    /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-sun/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[li], or type selection number:[/li]```

I would select number 2 on your list and ensure that you have installed java-1_6_0-sun-plugin. I would then get rid of the openjdk versions.

I’ve removed openjdk using yast and deleted npwrapper.javaplugin.so in the Konsole:

# cd /usr/lib/browser-plugins/
# rm npwrapper.javaplugin.so

Now it seems to work.

ok…
So I tried what was said… I made yast install the java-plugin.
And I have to say… I’m a total noob when it comes to programming or something like it…
So. I typed in on Terminal: firefox -g
I got a new firefox window.

linux-byo4:~ # firefox -g
*** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).
ERROR: Invalid browser function table. Some functionality may be restricted.
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/icedtea6-1.7.3/plugin/icedteanp/IcedTeaNPPlugin.cc:1427: thread 0x808a0e0: Error: Failed to spawn applet viewer: Failed to execute child process “/etc/alternatives/…/…/bin/java” (No such file or directory)

wth do I have to do?

Hi, what version of openSUSE are you using?

Could you please open a terminal and provide the results of (copy and paste the line below):

rpm -qa --last "*java*"

Take Care,

Ian

Had problems with Firefox and Java too.

Seems to be problems with Openoffice as I had to uninstall Firefox, Openoffice and java.
Then reinstall Firefox, Openoffice and java-1_6_0-sun.

And it solved my problems

/Tomas

hi !

i have similar problem with my browser firefox, when trying open web page with java support i am getting “gcjwebplugin error”
i just installed open suse kde version 11.2, the newest version of sun jre is installed…
help will be appreciated

regards

Since I allowed Firefox to update, I have this problem, too (“gcjwebplugin error”). OpenSUSE 11.2. I tried - reinstall sun java and reinstall Firefox 3.5.10 via Yast2.

Now I get:

firefox -g
*** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
*** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: failed to initialize plugin-side RPC client connection
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING:(/usr/src/packages/BUILD/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:3156):invoke_NP_Initialize: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: failed to initialize plugin-side RPC client connection
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING:(/usr/src/packages/BUILD/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:3156):invoke_NP_Initialize: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(g_rpc_connection))

(…infinite…)

and:

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display javaplugin
javaplugin - status is auto.
link currently points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so - priority 1617
Current `best’ version is /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so.

This last looks wrong to me, but I’m not sure.

What I did to fix it:

1. Remove all parts of openjava/openjdk (using Yast2).
  2. re-install sun java
  3. reinstall Firefox 3.5.10
  4. sudo mv /usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so.bak

i did too:
1.removed open java (using yast)
2.reinstal sun java
3.reinstall firefox
4. sudo mv /usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so /usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so.bak
5.mv: cannot stat `/usr/lib/browser-plugins/npwrapper.javaplugin.so’: No such file or directory
6.firefox saying not java found
7.?
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The new plugin is located under <JDK install>/jre/lib/i386/, named libnpjp2.so. In /usr/lib/browser-plugins/ directory, create a symlink to this file.

Here’s a complete tutorial which explains how to install the latest version from the Java website:
Complete latest Java installation guide (JRE + JDK) - Ubuntu Forums

I don’t really know what version I use, but this what I get when I type:

rpm -qa --last “java

java-1_6_0-openjdk-plugin-1.6.0.0_b17-2.1.1 Tue Jun 15 17:53:30 2010
BrowserLauncher2-javadoc-1.3-0.pm.1.1 Tue Jun 15 17:53:28 2010
java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u20-0.1.1 Tue Jun 15 17:30:19 2010
java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u20-0.1.1 Tue Jun 15 17:30:09 2010
java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.6.0.0_b17-2.1.1 Sun May 2 20:46:22 2010
timezone-java-2009u-0.1.1 Mon Jan 25 19:57:11 2010

1. Remove all parts of openjava ( I left openjdk installed.) (using Yast2).
  2. re-install sun java
  3. restart browser

It now works.