Java on Firefox/chrome etc broken on 11.3???

Hi,

I managed to install (fresh install) the 11.3 on my laptop.
I was running at the past the Ubuntu 10.04.

I see that there is NO way to have java on Firefox (chrome too!).
I search the forums and I read some solutions like re-install java/firefox etc, I did almost all of them. now when I visit sites that use java I got no error from firefox.

It seems that the Java is broken(?!)…or is not working in the 11.3 (?!)

for example this site:

NetDania Charts | Forex Charts from DailyFX

displays:

Java might not be properly installed or activated in the browser.

On Ubuntu it was a simply ln -s of the libjavaplugin_oji.so into the …firefox/plugins/

Now , I did this … but in vain!

Thx

Chris

So I have openSUSE 11.3 installed and I have Sun Java loaded and I have no problem displaying the site you reference. I suggest you open the Yast / Software Management and then search for Java. Make sure you are loading Sun Java 1_6_0 Sun, Sun-Alsa and Sun-Plugin. Further, if you find any version of Java labeled as openjdk I suggest you remove it as it seems to cause Sun Java to not work.

Thank You,

What jdmcdaniel3 said. Don’t know about Sun-alsa though, don’t have it and never needed it. I can confirm that I just did a clean install of 11.3/KDE and java works fine on FF 3.6.6-1.5, the website you link to works fine. My version of FF is the newest from the mozilla repo, I upgraded to fix a problem that turned out not to be FFs fault. But, there you go.

A MILLION THANX!!! it works!!

It seems that the Sun-Plugin needed , as I had the Sun java - and openjdk , but I removed the openjdk as you wrote…

Thank you very mush for the help!

Cheers,

Chris

Wow, I love it when a suggestion works! Happy to be of help xotto. Dwarfer99 also confirmed the requirements though he question the alsa plugin which I don’t know is required, but it does not take up that much space and may help the audio, but I am not sure. In any event, we were happy to be of help. Please do not hesitate to come back and ask for additional help if it is required.

Thank You,

For me works in firefox but in chrome not works…

I try to create a plugins directory and symbolic link but the result is the same…

Any ideas?

Just installed the Chrome (was uninstalled, as I could not see the java too there) and Java works on Chrome too!

IN general chrome/chromium has java issues, I’m able to load particular sites with Java in firefox but chrome tells me java is not enabled when i KNOW it’s enabled. Happens in windows as well, that’s a google issue i think

Yes, I too usually use the sun-java version rather than openjdk (I put a lock/taboo on openjdk so that it doesn’t get picked up automatically by Yast - which happens sometimes) - makes it easier to install JDK too sun-java-devel package

I had the same problem using the Sun files now and in Firefox it works but as said above in chrome it still wont work

Same resolution: java failure with openjdk. OK with sun files. Java now works fine with Firefox and Opera.
Macbook Pro - Opensuse 11.3 - KDE 4.4.4