Java error with internet application

There’s a site where you can play classic NES games online without any installation, just need Java: nintendo8.com

But when selecting a game from the site’s game list and it tries to load, I get this error:
icedteanp plugin error: Failed to run /etc/alternatives/…/…/bin/java. For more detail rerun “firefox -g” in a terminal window.

I then ran “firefox -g” from terminal, tried again and got this log:
ERROR: Invalid browser function table. Some functionality may be restricted.
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/icedtea6-1.9.2/plugin/icedteanp/IcedTeaNPPlugin.cc:1506: thread 0x80935c0: Error: Failed to spawn applet viewer: Failed to execute child thread «/etc/alternatives/…/…/bin/java» (No such file or directory)

I have Java up to date from its repository. What can be the problem? Thanks.

If you open a terminal session and run this command, what do you get:

rpm --query --all --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} -> %{VENDOR}
' '*java-*'

On my computer, I get the following listing:

java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u22-1.2.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
java-1_6_0-sun-alsa-1.6.0.u22-1.2.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
java-1_6_0-sun-plugin-1.6.0.u22-1.2.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
java-1_6_0-sun-devel-1.6.0.u22-1.2.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE

In general, you should not see any files that contain the name: openjdk, if you do, I suggest that you uninstall them. I have a script file that includes the test above and 15 others. It is called mmcheck, for Multi-Media Check and message #40 has the most recent version:

MMCHECK - Check Your Multimedia in 10 Steps - Script File, as proposed by RedDwarf

I would run mmcheck and get all of the tests working properly and then get back with us.

Thank You,

The Quick Java Switch and Fix

Thanks very much, mr. Caf! That did the trick.

No worries :slight_smile:

Found a new issue: Sun version of Java works well on internet, but crashes OpenOffice, with a message saying JRE is corrupted. After a while I found a workaround: installing again the Openjdk version (WITHOUT its plugin) along with the Sun version. Now OpenOffice works again and internet apps also work.

The work around is fine
Though I never have to do it.

Why? Does OpenOffice work fine for you with OpenJDK? How?

No
I mean, I only have Sun Java and o.o works for me without adding JDK