Java 5 update 17 and update-alternatives

I’d like to install Java 5.0 update 17 on SuSE 10.1 but SuSE updates are no longer published :frowning: at Index of /pub/suse/update/10.1/rpm The Sun version for Linux installs fine, but doesn’t appear to register itself as an available Java version using ‘update-alternatives’.

Does anyone know where a SuSE post-installation script to do this can be found? (There are rather a lot of obscure slaves.) Alternatively, would one expect a SuSE 10.3 update to install correctly?

David

I’ve found that installing packages from the Sun website is fundamentally incompatible with the update-alternatives system, because as you say files are installed in different locations and don’t register with the update-alternatives system.

If you install packages from the Sun website, I recommend you uninstall all Sun packages from the SuSE repos and then run the usual manual steps to configure support for Java (Set and export JAVA_HOME variable, modification to Profile, set JAVA$ paths)

you could try downloading and installing the latest version from the factory repo at:-

Index of /pub/opensuse/factory/repo/non-oss/suse/i586

Many thanks for both those suggestions. All the components I need (Java, *alsa, *plugin, *jdbc) are there in the factory, sure enough, but on trying to upgrade (using Smart) I get a message that they all need ‘rpmlib’ which doesn’t seem to be in the 10.1 distribution.

Also Smart thinks it’s a downgrade, perhaps because the package names don’t follow the usual convention?

David

Just for the record, the ‘rpmlib’ problem seems to be well known - see for example rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) revisited - openSUSE Forums

SuSE 10.1, and perhaps all V10 releases, include ‘librpm’ provided by the ‘rpm’ package, so perhaps there’s a naming confusion.

It’s a pity one has to go to all the trouble of migrating to the next major version to solve a trivial problem like this, especially since that will no doubt have its own set of problems. Is OpenSuSE on an endless path of upgrades to upgrades to… just like Microsoft?

David