Its good to be back.

Hi all
Awhile ago I decided to make the journey down distro lane, leaving opensuse 10.3 behind. Along the way, I stopped at Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu and Fedora. Each had its own quirks and benefits.

There are many areas where opensuse shines. For me, the package management is the best example. Adding custom repos is not only easy, its extremely well documented (even more important!). While you can add custom repos in Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch etc, I found their processes to be cumbersome and very poorly documented (in comparison to suse). the centralized resource for finding custom packages is even more bonus.

Over the past year or so, Ive built a mythtv system at home. Long story short, I picked up an Intel Atom/NVIDIA ION board the other day to use as a new frontend.
Figured it was time to return to my roots with this one.
Popped in a USB stick with the netinstall image, added Packamn and NVIDIA repos and was up and running without as much as a hiccup. (In the interest of full discolsure, I did have problems with the NVIDIA repo – Downloads keep failing, with download speeds less than 1 kB/s which leads me to think this is a problem with NVIDIA’s ftp server, not opensuse).

I just want to say awesome job opensuse team, thanks and keep up the good work!

@pimanac
Welcome back
Thanks for the + comments. Hope you stick around.

Welcome back.

Reference this quote:

I’ve found sometimes if one does not disable ipv6 one can encounter such annoying problems. Unfortunately I do not think a CD install gives the option to disable ipv6, while a DVD install does give that option. If one does not disable during the install, then it is a bit trickier to disable ipv6 on openSUSE-11.3 (more so than previous openSUSE versions). I believe in the end one needs to apply a special boot code to disable it. ie in the grub boot menu options line the following boot code:

ipv6.disable=1 

Welcome back pimanac! :slight_smile:

@oldcpu.

I hadnt even thought about ipv6! All the other repos are giving me excellent download rates, as well as connections to other ftp servers…so it didnt even enter my mind. Either way, I will give it a shot and see what happens. I will let you know what happens!

No luck. Must be on nvidia’s side. Oh well, guess I’ll have to do it the long way :wink: