Issue configuring new Suse network install.

Dear OpenSuse community,

I'm about to tell you what you don't want to hear - I don't know too much about Linux.  I can handle the utmost basic stuff such as partitioning, and at one point I could do things like load some video codecs and set up the daily stuff.  Well, I aim to be able to do what I used to now that I have a new compy, but I'm having a bit of a network issue.  

I couldn't tell you exactly what the problem is other than Linux won't ping out or really read in my Ethernet connection, hence no connection to the internet.  I'm certain the hardware is set up correctly, since I'm talking to you from my windows boot on the same system.  I have a relatively new mother-board, and was wondering if maybe the drivers for the Ethernet card weren't out yet(Mobo is listed in newegg as the the ECS P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard).  Though, I have the following network setup.

Me -> Linksys wireless 54G router (through a wired connection) -> Cable Modem -> ISP (Earthlink)

My computer has the following specs: E8400 (3ghz x 2) Intel Core 2 Duo. 4 gigs of Ram, 9600GT Nvidia card, and Suse is running on an identical 300gig WesternDigital Sata HDD like this windows install is.

My ethernet card is an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet card. Anywho, I hope this is enough info. Thanks for any and all help,

Komidol

On 08/11/2008 Komidol wrote:
> My ethernet card is an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet
> card.

The driver isn’t in the kernel used by Opensuse 11. You can get drivers from here:
http://www.unav-micro.com/Download.aspx?id=22

It’s a manual thing. If you have an older Ethernet NIC you can use, that’s probably much easier.

Uwe

I have the same issue with an Atheros PCIe wired ethernet chipset, and have a similar user profile to the OP. I have sucessfully installed various Linux distros in the past, but have not done so for a while. Now I haev this new system and would like to make it fully functional on the web.

The system is based on the very popular and common Asus P5Q MB with the Atheros NIC on board. I would rather not pop the system open just to add a “Linux friendly” NIC.

I did download the Atheros Linux driver.

Can you provide guidance on how to unzip the driver, where to unzip it and then what to do once it’s loaded.

I’m guessing the driver needs to go into /lib/firmware
and then possibly the Network Connection app will find it ?

If I unzip and park the Atheros driver in the right place will I still need to do all the “ifup, down” stuff ?

any and all help on this matter is greatly appreciated. I’d very much like to have openSUSE running on this system.

Thanks