Issue booting to latest version of OpenSUSE

When I boot to “openSUSE, with Linux 3.16.7-24-desktop” or this version in recovery mode, I get a Kernel panic error and the system reboots itself. I am able to boot to “openSUSE, with Linux 3.16.6-2-desktop” just fine, and I’m not sure where to start diagnosing the problem. I can upload a picture of the Kernel panic if that’s helpful, or if someone can tell me how I can get a screeshot or capture this standard output I can do that. Sorry in advance for my terminal newbieness.

Has there been a Kernel update to 3.16.7 from 3.16.6 in openSUSE 13.2 ?

Why now?
That kernel update has been released months ago… :wink:

Ok, probably you just installed fresh and installed all updates I suppose, as you still only have 3.16.6 as fallback kernel.

Well, try to add “dis_ucode_ldr” to the boot options, either by pressing ‘e’ at the boot menu and appending it to the line starting with “linux” or “linuxefi” (which will only have effect for this one boot), or by adding it to the “Optional Kernel Parameters” line in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Kernel Parameters.

Does this help?

There’s a known problem regarding loading the microcode update on some (AMD) systems, should be fixed in the next kernel update that’s coming soon AIUI.

Of course.
Months ago already… :wink:

And since then there were a few updates to 3.16.7 too.

… OK.

Perhaps I didn’t see the Kernel updates this time because I installed later and included the updates repository as installation source right from the start :wink:

This is an important point.

Hey penguinairlines, you didn’t tell us anything about the PC on which you are running openSUSE!

Best wishes to all
Mike

Hm?
But then you should have noticed in any case that 3.16.6 is not the current kernel in 13.2, but rather 3.16.7 which you apparently were surprised to see… :wink:

I wasn’t surprised.

I worked with what I had got :wink:

Look, this time I didn’t have a long list of different Kernel versions in the GRUB menu.

And as I indicated: I installed 13.2 late, and in addition, I included the 13.2 updates repository during the installation as source. Then you get the latest version of the Kernel and of all the Programs right from the start.

Best wishes
Mike

Yeah, purge-kernels.service kills them anyway… :wink:

And as I indicated: I installed 13.2 late, and in addition, I included the 13.2 updates repository during the installation as source. Then you get the latest version of the Kernel and of all the Programs right from the start.

Hm, 13.2 was quite good in that regard, I suppose.

Well, I even installed and used 13.1 in the RC phase without a problem.
But then, as I did contribute, I knew where the problems were… :wink:

Off-topic here though I suppose.

Yeah, this install is on my work machine and I don’t get a lot of time to fiddle with the setup, but I think the problem started around where I ran the yast install for a couple of vm applications, but maybe it updated other things at the same time. I’ll go ahead and try the suggestion you recommended as soon as I can finish up with some of my operations work for today.

I’m using intel/nvidia so this microcode update you mentioned should not be an issue.

I am running this installation on a z87chipset msi mpower board with a pentium g3258, some weak nvidia gtx card for multiple monitors, the OS is loaded on a samsung ssd, and a bunch of hard drives. The samsung ssd is the default boot drive. Is there anything else I should mention?

That sounds important! I’ll go look up what that repository is after I solve this issue at hand. I need to find a good nvidia driver repository while I’m at it, the one some folks over at Tek Syndicate recommended me did not work with my openSUSE installation.

Sorry about the multiple replies, I just realized where the multi quote button is. I tried this via the yast kernel parameters in the UI, which currently says “dis_ucode_ldr resume=/dev/sda2 splash=silent quiet showopts”. What should I try next?

here is a picture of the error I am getting at startup. (when attempting to boot to the newer kernal without recovery mode)

Sorry again for the multiple replies, I didn’t know edits weren’t allowed after 10 minutes x.x

OK. Not that clear yet, but clear enough to ask one question. How old is your SSD ?

Another point - as far as I remember - may be that you need to re-install the drivers for your NVIDIA graphics card after a Kernel update.

Did you install some NVIDIA driver form some foreign source?? ie by what is called the hard way?? If so it has to be reinstalled by hand if you installed a new kernel

Without knowing the chip it is impossible to give any advice on what driver is needed. If it is too old it may no longer be supported by NVIDIA

You have not give too many facts and we no longer have any crystal balls :open_mouth:

This doesn’t look like a graphics driver problem at all.
The kernel is crashing when trying to mount the root filesystem.

So @penguinairlines: as the older kernel (3.16.6) works fine, it’s either a kernel bug/regression, or there’s something wrong with the initrd.
So try to recreate the initrd as a first step:

sudo mkinitrd

(if you get errors, please post them)

If it still crashes after successfully recreating the initrd, you should probably file a bug report at http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/ (same username/password as here).

It would also be a good idea to try the other available kernels first though (3.16.7-21.1 in particular), to see whether the problem only exists in the latest kernel or earlier already.
You can use YaST’s “Versions” tab for that.

PS: I just noticed that the first line on the picture says “Initramfs unpacking failed: XZ compressed data is corrupt” (overlooked that somehow), so it’s definitely “just” a problem with the initrd (which is corrupted). So mkinitrd should fix it.
Maybe your filesystem is full? Try to remove some snapshots (in YaST->Snapper).