Is there a Graphical Filemanager that logs file moves/renames?

so I can repeat the file moves/renames on a backup/mirror directory on my linux hosted NAS?

I don’t think you can do that with Dolphin, used in KDE. You did not specify the openSUSE version or desktop used by you which is important to provide good help.

Thank You,

On 2013-11-15 19:46, InspireMe wrote:
>
> so I can repeat the file moves/renames on a backup/mirror directory on
> my linux hosted NAS?

Sorry, I have never seen that feature in any filemanager. Peculiar
one… I could make some use of it (desktop would be irrelevant: if you
need certain rare feature, you switch desktop to whichever has the feature).


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:46:02 +0000, InspireMe wrote:

> so I can repeat the file moves/renames on a backup/mirror directory on
> my linux hosted NAS?

Seems like what you might look at doing instead is using something like
btsync or rsync to keep the data synchronized or backed up in a
consistent manner.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2013-11-15 20:58, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:46:02 +0000, InspireMe wrote:
>
>> so I can repeat the file moves/renames on a backup/mirror directory on
>> my linux hosted NAS?
>
> Seems like what you might look at doing instead is using something like
> btsync or rsync to keep the data synchronized or backed up in a
> consistent manner.

I have a set of large multimedia files which I copy from one machine to
another; later I decide to change their names. Yes, copying them back to
the original machine is the most simple procedure, but it means moving
many gigabytes over a 100M network, a second time. If I could repeat the
renames on the other machine, it would save a lot of time.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Sounds like you want a batch file renamer, OSX has a couple excellent ones I have used in the past. Is this what you are looking for A better file renamer. ???

I am not sure I have found an equivalent in linux.

Update: There are a couple alternatives >> Check here.

On 2013-11-15 21:46, anika200 wrote:
>
> Sounds like you want a batch file renamer, OSX has a couple excellent
> ones I have used in the past. Is this what you are looking for ‘A better
> file renamer.’ (http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/)
>
> I am not sure I have found an equivalent in linux.
>
> Update: There are a couple alternatives >> ‘Check here.’
> (http://alternativeto.net/software/a-better-finder-rename/)

I’m unsure.

What I would like, and I think solves part of what the OP wants, is to
manually rename some files in a directory, and then redo those name
changes on another directory that has the same set of files.

It would be like having two panels, showing two directories with the
same list of files, doing changes in one side, and the same changes be
applied to the other side automatically.

All those renamers you found seem to require you have some set of rules
to change the names, and then apply the rules to the entire set. It is
different.

But I have to get a closer look at the Linux ones, maybe they do things
I can not imagine now.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Sorry. 12.3, x86_64, GNOME.

So, are you using the Nautilus file manager?

Thank You,

The default one, “Files”, for which in “about” I read no “Nautilus”. In Yast/software manager/utilities I read 7 packages, all with “Nautilus” in their name.

Its true, the renamers require you to have a plan ahead of time. I think this is probably the best way to do the task but what do it know.