Is there a future for OPENSuSE

Now that the various blogging and communications tools have been killed off, the Support forums decimated, LEAP’s neck slit, portals killed off and Bugzilla showing minimal activity, what are we supporters of OPENSuSE supposed to transition to? An unstable system is not a platform for going forward. Is it finally time for a fork?

How do you propose to finance the new distribution?

[citation needed]

1 Like

SUSE is own by EQT with HQ in Stockholm Sweden. SUSE has 3 times more employees than Ubuntu. But staying at a low profile.
Yes I have some inside info.
Regards.

Well, I was also trying to get a rise from some people. But as we can both see, there aren’t many left, are there?
I’ve been a user from the start; but where I find some stability in LEAP, I see the opposite in TW. I can’t believe I’m the only one having problems…. And I’m afraid of a future without LEAP. Of course, pundits could be correct in saying that SUSE is going the way of RH, concentrating on commercial products.
I wouldn’t blame them if they are, you understand. We all need bread and butter for the table.

Tas

The whole idea of Leap being more stable IMNSHO is nonsense. TW and Leap are tested identically. If something breaks on TW, rollback is your friend and most likely a fix is already on the way. There was a long thread on Telegram where Richard and Dario explained perfectly why this reasoning is the better one.

1 Like

That may be, but xrdp, which works with LEAP and does not on TW. Issue aplenty with KDE. And gnome-remote-desktop has the same issues as TW. I don’t have to recover, because I’m re-installing under VM WKT. Faster to reinstall.

Hi
I don’t use xrdp, if need X just use ssh…

Things are just peachy here with Tumbleweed (Primary desktop), Leap 15.4 (On the road laptop), Leap 15.4 (ADS-B server) SLES 15 SP4 aarch64 (GPS Time and minio S3 server), MicroOS Desktop (Home Laptop), ALP and MicroOS (kubernetes) virtual machines and openSUSE Leap Micro 5.2 (server - testing).

People are having less issues with the latest releases, one would expect less folks here since we are of course geared towards technical issues. I’m on IRC and the Mailing lists, daily traffic there as well…

1 Like

Well, I’m not talking about dev’s or such. I’m referring to users.
The fact is, if you go to the forums, just look for the dates of the preponderance of posts.
Go to the portals; the latest posts are old… and the products of those portals, I find are having serious issues.

I love SUSE and OPENSuse; been using since after Caldera. I am not the one who said LEAP is going away, an executive made the announcement; and no one from openSUSE has stood to renounce it. Statement of fact, not opinion.

But, please do not take this as an attack, because it isn’t. Things are out of control in the channels, there aren’t many end-users left as evidenced by forum postings, and there are no bug reports on clearly present issues.
Pointing this out seems to put mods on the defensive, which means the conversation is already over because they are defending status quo; even if I’m wrong, they should try to see if I’ve made a point.

I had a similar experience working with the FreeBSD teams, when I suggested the plagiarize YAST a few years ago, on order to create a workstation OS. The responses were not kind nor civil, and in the end the mods locked my thread. Have you seen a desktop BSD distro? (Ok, there are three, but they are still young).

If what I’m saying is wrong, I would love to discuss it, but I’ve been playing (yes, that is what I do with computers), :wink: with the newer versions of openSUSE and I’m always hitting issues.

Proud to be a user.
70tas

I just updated my desktop PC from LEAP-15.2 to 15.4 less than 1/2 day ago. Possibly my smoothest GNU/Linux install ever (I’ve been using GNU/Linux since 1998). Ok … my 2 decades of knowledge help, but I’m not getting any younger and I have forgotten a lot.

I was particularly pleased with the Flatpak inclusion in openSUSE LEAP versions. I was able to easily install a couple of apps that were either not in an official (nor experimental nor community repos) and another app while in the experimental/community repos wanted to add a dozen extra repos that I didn’t want. But with Flatpak setup, installation was a breeze.

For one of the above apps, when I installed LEAP-15. on my laptop, I had to build it myself, as I could not find an rpm version anywhere. Having Flatpak meant no custom build needed as it was in the FlatPak repos.

Fabulous - and openSUSE is just getting better IMHO.

Hi
Well Leap (as in a release name) is going away, just like Evergreen and release names before that? The ‘product’ is not going away it will still be there, in some form… Tumbleweed will still be there in it’s current form.

Again, we see more activity here when there is a new release and as the releases have gone by less folks have issues so unlikely to post… New hardware is always an issue, but the openSUSE Kernel developers are pretty quick to respond to a bug report (If a user takes the time to create or course).

Not many people are interested in updating the Portal documents, anyone can do it…not many do and openSUSE is a do-ocrity…

Likewise if Forum users have an issue, start a thread, stay on topic with your issue and be cordial and I’m sure you will receive help/direction to resolve.

If YOU do know about an issue and don’t report it, how do you expect that they get fixed? This is a mentality from many “users”. Only complaining that something is not working, and that distribution X makes something better, and this is bad and this…but if you ask them to create a bugreport…“Noooooo, i’m only a user. I don’t report bugs”

Yeah…

fyi as a non-programmer non-sysadmin etc home user with, I think, above average home use skills, the bug reporting process was overwhelming. It required way more knowledge than I have. I tried once and gave up.

I like how I get to report when I’m trying out the Leap betas, or the surveys. I can speak in my language better.

I would say, just try it, fill in what you know, descibe as good as you can, and you probably will see poeple will take you serious,

But what was said above was that when you know of a bug and you do not start a bug report (for whatever reason), then do not complain that the bug is not repaired. IMHO you may only complain when you are sure that developers are clairvoyant.

Yes – AFAIKS, openSUSE doesn’t have a “User” and/or “Customer” Bug Reporting system – on the other hand, SUSE may well have one, for their customers.

• Yes, the current openSUSE Bug Reporting is OK for people who’ve had careers in IT but, not for non-IT Users …

How do commercial IT companies handle this issue?

• Easy – the paying customers phone up either their local Sales and Field Service Office or, if they have a Support Contract, the 24 hours, 7 days a week, Support Centre.
    I must admit to having begun my IT career with DEC Field Service in 1979 – the head-on competition with IBM began around 1981 – DEC almost achieved the same market share as IBM during those years …
    *=2]Yes, and then PC’s killed off the mini-computer market …

[HR][/HR]So, what to do?

• Apart from reporting your problems and issues in these Forums, I can’t think of a current alternative solution …

I think that for someone who isn’t (or feels (s)he isn’t) confident enough to go directly to bugzilla, the forums here is indeed the best place to start. The problem will then be looked into by different people, with more knowledge/experience. They may ask for commands to be executed to gather information. And in the end the conclusion maybe that a bug report should be the way to go. But then there is more, much more information and probably also much more confidence in the original poster that there is a case, and that the information needed is there to be copied/pasted into the bug report.

I concur. Well said Henk.

Hi
I agree, but also it’s good for the user to post back the Bug report link as users who have helped may add themselves to the cc list (I generally do) to follow there and add any pointers if needed.

Yep, that as well. :slight_smile:

Yes.

• By this means, the non-IT Users will at least have a Tracking Number to help them know when the issue they’re experiencing will be repaired.

But, let’s be honest, if you have never worked in a managed Software Development environment, the language and terminology of IT Bug Reporting is, for “normal” human beings, “gobble dee-gook” …
[HR][/HR]Maybe, openSUSE needs a User (non-paying Customer) Issue Reporting and Change Request system, parallel to the IT Bug Reporting system.

• Once the User’s Issue or Change Request has been worked through, a related IT Bug Report can be raised to get the changes implemented …