is that openSuSE Tumbleweeb?

Sorry, somehow i missed the thread lol!
Well, e.g. at the moment we have no newer Mesa in Tumbleweed, no newer drivers, etc. (neither the last of the 9.0.x is available there), while kernel is at ~the latest version. Just an example.
I would rather see Tumbleweed as a testing ground for submitting new (point) releases for stable distribution.

On 10/21/2013 04:46 AM, sumski pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> Knurpht;2590393 Wrote:
>> I was hoping for a reply like yours, @sumski. Could you explain how this
>> would do the above? I can imagine difficulties, and slowdowns, but I can
>> see advantages too. Just interested.
> Sorry, somehow i missed the thread lol!
> Well, e.g. at the moment we have no newer Mesa in Tumbleweed, no newer
> drivers, etc. (neither the last of the 9.0.x is available there), while
> kernel is at ~the latest version. Just an example.
> I would rather see Tumbleweed as a testing ground for submitting new
> (point) releases for stable distribution.
>
>

The reason for TW is NOT to be a test bed for new software but to be a
place to get new /stable/ releases of software.

Ken

I’m aware of that, thus previous comment was a follow up on why i think it is a bad idea that Tumbleweed would be new devel distribution for the next release - it is too old, and (imho) pulls packages rather randomly.

If it’s too old, why are there so many downgraded packages when Tumbleweed re-bases on the new standard release?

On 10/21/2013 01:16 PM, sumski pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> I’m aware of that, thus previous comment was a follow up on why i think
> it is a bad idea that Tumbleweed would be new devel distribution for the
> next release - it is too old, and (imho) pulls packages rather randomly.
>
>

Then you truly do not understand what TW is all about.

Very likely higher build numbers.
Don’t take it the wrong way, i didn’t say e.g. obsolete, but indeed in large number packages are either not built, or some older, aka “stabler” revision is chosen. (Note also that 13.1 has 6678 source packages, while Tumbleweed has 512, that’s ~7%, if we want to talk numbers)

Yes, i trully do not understand what Tumbleweed is about rotfl!

I don’t see the relevance of those numbers. I guess those are not all automatically installed by the distro, and there is really only one person providing Tumbleweed at present plus contributed packages, so it’s just “proof of concept” now since some major packages and subsystems are included. So far the concept is proven (IMO). However there remains process and practical considerations to be ironed out obviously before it could be the source for producing the standard release.

Last time when Tumbleweed repos were emptied and I saw most of the updates were downgrading packages I just closed zypper and waited a month until I tried updating again. All the updates were for new packages and everything has worked great.

Yes, I did just that a couple of releases ago without any difficulties. Although I intend tol upgrade/downgrade to 13.1 base as soon as available, just to carry on through with btrfs testing on root partition (so far, so good).