Is OpenSUSE right for my needs?

I’m considering giving up the idea of resurrecting my Windows NT Server 4.0 domain controller at home. It didn’t do much, but what it did do, it did well, until it stopped picking up an IP address. It went down hill from there.

The main thing it did well was facilitate file sharing among my Windows PCs, whether domain-capable (Windows XP Pro) or not (XP Home, Win 7 Home).

Can openSUSE on my server machine provide that capability? I need to share files from one XP Pro machine especially (has all most of the photos, documents, program install files, the printer.) WORKGROUP just isn’t cutting it. I also want to share my external USB hard drive so that any computer can send its backups there. That could be shared from the server (not under NT) or from the laptop where it currently is.

The server machine is just a Dell computer, not a blade or anything. It has a decent amount of memory but not a huge hard drive or fancy video card. I don’t even have speakers on it. It just authenticated logins and made sharing easy and secure.

If OpenSuse can make the sharing of files from Windows computers on the network easy and secure, I’d certainly consider it.

Thank you,

For “sharing files” to Windows clients look into Samba. It is used professionaly since before Linux on Unix systems. Many proffessional sites prefered it in thosetimes ovr MS servers becuse of the stability of Unix. This is still true today IMHO. And many do it here. And there is a good howto: openSUSE SuSE Linux HOWTOs and Tutorials by Swerdna

That is all I can say because I know almost nothing about Windows, but I have no doubt others may add to what I said here.

On 2012-08-07 21:36, Gabina wrote:

> If OpenSuse can make the sharing of files from Windows computers on the
> network easy and secure, I’d certainly consider it.

Yes, it can do that (domain controller). Don’t ask for an AD controller, that’s a different issue.
Doable with the next samba version, I heard.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 “Asparagus” GM (bombadillo))