Is openSUSE becomming unpopular?

The real “Silent Majority” use Windows. It usually comes with the hardware, so they don’t know any other way of life to question. Forty percent of them use W7 and twenty percent of them still use XP. I don’t have the numbers for IRC, sorry @arnsa. :frowning: :X rotfl!

Touché. It would appear the absence of any further comment from arnsa proves your point. In additional to myself, even global moderators were compelled to contribute some form of rebuttal. Perhaps we should stop being so defensive and get out more lol!.

So how about we try making up some more preposterous and baseless contentions? I’ve thought of a few:

  1. Isn’t openSUSE really for Windows users who are in fact Linux wannabes?
  2. Isn’t openSUSE’s obsession with KDE support the reason why it’s utter fail?
  3. Isn’t openSUSE’s binary-based installation proof that it’s for n00bs.
    The sad thing is that I in fact have heard all these comments for real. :frowning:

On the other hand it’s heartening to see the community confident to defend the distribution and respond to such offensive comments politely and positively, perhaps even giving the benefit of doubt concerning the trollish nature of post. :slight_smile:

Fight such baseless criticism with facts. :slight_smile:

On 2012-11-22 01:46, flymail wrote:
>
> dd;2505555 Wrote:
>> so, other posters here: Don’t you get it?
>
> Touché. It would appear the absence of any further comment from arnsa
> proves your point. In additional to myself, even global moderators were
> compelled to contribute some form of rebuttal. Perhaps we should stop
> being so defensive and get out more lol!.

Can I take my laptop out for a stroll? O:-)

> So how about we try making up some more preposterous and baseless
> contentions? I’ve thought of a few:
>
> 1. Isn’t openSUSE really for Windows users who are in fact Linux
> wannabes?

Naaa, that’s ubuntu :-p

> 2. Isn’t openSUSE’s obsession with KDE support the reason why it’s
> utter fail?

Yes, yes! :-p

> 3. Isn’t openSUSE’s binary-based installation proof that it’s for
> n00bs.
> The sad thing is that I in fact have heard all these comments for real.
> :frowning:

Maybe… I tend to ignore such.

> On the other hand it’s heartening to see the community confident to
> defend the distribution and respond to such offensive comments politely
> and positively, perhaps even giving the benefit of doubt concerning the
> trollish nature of post. :slight_smile:

Right.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

No…

We are the silent major Linux…here’s an example.

I’m the only openSUSE member in mainland China (and there’s no active ambassador here at all)

So:

  1. I thought there’re only two persons using openSUSE here (hillwood and me)

But there’s a poll in KDE forum voting “which distribution do you use”…and openSUSE users occupy that thread.

Many times I talked with people who I thought to be Arch or Ubuntu users, they finally turned to be openSUSE users.

  1. I thought there’s few mirrors for openSUSE here…but I find almost every University has a CS major mirrored openSUSE.

Then I found they didn’t talk and contribute because they’re mostly developers using openSUSE to develop something instead of developing openSUSE itself, or enterprise users who don’t need to ask on public media…

On 2012-11-23 10:46, MargueriteSu wrote:
>
> No…
>
> We are the silent major Linux…here’s an example.
>
> I’m the only openSUSE member in mainland China (and there’s no active
> ambassador here at all)
>
> So:
>
> 1. I thought there’re only two persons using openSUSE here (hillwood
> and me)
>
> But there’s a poll in KDE forum voting “which distribution do you
> use”…and openSUSE users occupy that thread.

:slight_smile:

> Many times I talked with people who I thought to be Arch or Ubuntu
> users, they finally turned to be openSUSE users.

:slight_smile:

> 2. I thought there’s few mirrors for openSUSE here…but I find almost
> every University has a CS major mirrored openSUSE.

:slight_smile:

> Then I found they didn’t talk and contribute because they’re mostly
> developers using openSUSE to develop something instead of developing
> openSUSE itself, or enterprise users who don’t need to ask on public
> media…

Very possible.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

you should count me in .

I am a regular openSUSE user now for over a year and I’ve had so few problems that I just haven’t spent much time on the forums. Things just work here on openSUSE. I haven’t used Ubuntu in some time but my last experience with it was less than optimal. I can also tell you that I maintain 3 openSUSE desktops/laptops and an openSUSE server that have been completely problem free. I recommend, very confidently, openSUSE to anybody that is interested in giving Linux a try. I’ll even help them out with it if they ask for it.

Oh yes…students.

Small and specialized collages without CS orientation are occupied by M$, while large and complete Universities have their own cycles. These cycles can solve most of the usage problems inside instead of “out-sourcing” them to us on forum. Especially at some places you’re free to use local network in campus, but you have to pay for the bandwidth for the internet access.

i am not a student but a software engineer with 8 years development experience. lol!

I think MargueriteSu is confused by forum ranking which says you are a "Student Penguin " as you have made only a few posts in these forums

We should really replace these forums rankings with more meaningful ones like forum newbie,forum veteran or something like that

nope…we Chinese don’t even know there’s such ranking…we just remember each other’s avatar :slight_smile:

actually because he asked questions in the sub-forum I monitored, like a student…(some of the problems should be really a small piece of cake for “a software engineer with 8 years development experience”, unless he was about to play us or he was a complete Windows dev before…) :frowning:

That is the basic issue with veteran Linux / Unix users. Most of the Linux users don’t care about compiling our software from source . Though i have been using Linux for many years i use GUI part alone and don’t know any scripting . We just use Linux as our desktop . Though we are experienced Linux users we may have amateur level of knowledge even after using Linux for many many years. It just shows that Linux nowadays has pretty mature GUI

:expressionless: do you know specialist only master his own field ?
actually i develop java applications and embedded c programs.

I must say you have been very fortunate to have been able to avoid command line for years. I still find myself often having to `drop’ to command line for fixing /etc/… entries or to perform certain tasks, such as installing programs using sudo sh xxxx. But your experience is certainly consistent with your inference…

…although I’m not entirely sure what you mean precisely by Linux’ GUI! :slight_smile:

yes…software engineer should specialize in software…while openSUSE is software combination.

so actually you’re a java/embeded c developer with 8 years of experience.

I have been using GNOME/openSUSE for many years and the only times i usually use command line are when you invoke any app through alt+f2(much faster) (OR) zypper in CLI when YaST goes whacky and doing zypper dup (OR) when doing md5sum for ISOs

by GUI i was referring to Graphical User Interface.I find Linux GUI more user friendly than windows.

The main purpose of the GUI is so that you can open several xterms and do command line stuff.

Well, okay, the GUI also allows running a web browser.

(Just giving a different opinion).

Bit of an understatement . Apple makes millions betting on some inspirational GUI.
I agree that GUI is not really a requirement in the real sense.
But just like we cannot image a world without cell phones(landlines more than enough) and Thermal power plants(solar,hydro,wind) most of the users would not be able to use computers without GUI. Simply put ,Water vs Beer = CLI(Command line) vs GUI(Graphical User Interface).

On 11/27/2012 05:26 AM, nrickert wrote:
> Well, okay, the GUI also allows running a web browser.

and, the CLI also allows running a web browser, yes a non-GUI web
browser, but a (text only) web browser nonetheless…

give links or lynx a try and you will have a new appreciation for just
how speedy a web browser can be.

for example, in a full screen terminal (Alt+Ctrl+Fn), xterm, konsole,
etc try one of these (you may need to use YaST or zypper to install the
links or lynx program):


links linfo.org
lynx tldp.org


dd