Is my memory usage normal?

Brand new install of OpenSuSE 42.2 on a laptop with 16GB of memory.

After logging and the system is using/allocated 12GB of the 16GB - is this normal?

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 15G 12G 2.9G 22M 62M 972M
-/+ buffers/cache: 11G 3.9G
Swap: 2.0G 0B 2.0G

You actually have 4GB in use and the rest are in buffers / cache.

So yes, it’s normal - cache memory is released when an application needs it.

Looks fine. Linux hates unused memory and will use for cache if not needed for programs. It will be released for programs as needed

Thank you both!

It seems to me excessive.
I have 8Giga and just arrived at the Desktop occupy 350 mega

My server, immediately after a reboot.

salt:/home/knurpht # free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3,9G        600M       ** 2,8G**         33M        **495M**        3,0G

and after only two days of running

free -h
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           3.9G        743M        **134M **        36M        **3.0G **       2.8G

linux likes to use RAM as much as possible since it’s the fastest way to cache/buffer bits and pieces.

I agree but look here https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/525760-Is-my-memory-usage-normal?p=2828673#post2828673

12 giga used on 15 giga is not a normal behavior.

My Deskto , immediately after a reboot.
http://www.hosting.universalsite.org/thumb-schermatada20170704220734-3BEF_595C0451.jpg](http://www.hosting.universalsite.org/share-schermatada20170704220734-3BEF_595C0451.html)

Linux will use nearly all unused memory for cache. It is the way it is designed.

It’s completely normal. Stop arguing with people who know better and confusing the OP.

You’re wrong.

If he’s been moving files or there has been any indexing activity, the buffers/cache would be reserved.

Also his system is not using 12GB, how is this so ****ing hard for people to realise. It surfaces every other god **** week.

So you are saying that occupying 12 giga at boot is normal behavior ?

Then I’m wrong

He asked if the memory usage was normal, which is completely normal for a system that caches data.

Here’s my NUC (which I use for testing), about 20 minutes after booting;

nuc1:~ # free -gh             
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           15G        14G       1.3G       168M       155M       7.6G
-/+ buffers/cache:       6.6G       9.1G

14GiB out of 15GiB in use - except it’s caching most of the data as you can see from the second line. 6.6GiB in use (MariaDB, Tomcat, whatnot running) and 9,1GiB of cached memory.

I have no problem and I did not post.
So it would be useful to know if it has a purpose this consumption or if it is a malfunction.
Needless to say more

Of course it does it is cache and is used by the system to store often accessed data. Linux hates unused memory so will use any as cache. When a program needs memory some cache space will be dropped so the program can use it. Completely normal way Linux works.