Is KDE3 going to be cut off when next openSUSE release?

Hello, Guys

I just want to know is KDE3 going to be cut off when next openSUSE release? I know kde3 will stay in build service but what about the installation media?

If the it will be cut, which version of kde4 will come with release?

Thanks,

yeast2u wrote:
> Hello, Guys
>
> I just want to know is KDE3 going to be cut off when next openSUSE
> release? I know kde3 will stay in build service but what about the
> installation media?

I don’t know the answer, but I wouldn’t get rid of KDE 3 until I knew
that KDE 4 was close to being an adequate replacement… and right now,
it isn’t.

>
> If the it will be cut, which version of kde4 will come with release?
>
> Thanks,
>
>

KDE3 is going to be around for a while not least because of the large Brazilian deployment.

KDE4.2 is close to an adequate replacement. I’m now using it regularly in the same way in which I used to use KDE3.

11.2 will ship with KDE4 only and KDE 3.5 in the build repository so you won’t miss out on it, you can simply use a “1-click install” to drop the whole 3.5 system back.

If you’re using “on the fly” upgrade you can just add the repo and zypper dup to woosh up to 11.2.

I wonder who will be doing the building of kde-3.5.x for openSUSE-11.2 in the build repository?

I suspect one may need to wait a month or two (possibly longer) after openSUSE-11.2 is available, before a KDE-3.5.x may be available for openSUSE-11.2 users. Still, the fact that such a KDE3 desktop package may still be available for openSUSE-11.2 (thanks to the build service) IMHO speaks volumes about the variety of desktops available for openSUSE and to the added utility of the build service.

I have openSUSE-11.1 with KDE-4.1.3 installed on a test (sort of sandbox) PC, and as a minimum I will likely install openSUSE-11.2 (possibly with KDE-4.3) on the same PC. If KDE-4.3 runs well with a feature set that I like, I may convert to KDE-4.3.

Since there have been no patches, updates or anything for KDE 3.5.x series for a while it should be rather trivial to make it work on 11.2 leading to believe that it will be out at the same time as the release is.

So far i don’t like the new KDE4, because for me there are
not enough improvements for me and futhermore it is still
not very stable.
I like KDE3 much more (it was among other things a reason
for me, downgrading to openSUSE 11.0 again, when i tried
openSUSE 11.1, because KDE3 isn’t supported well any more
in 11.1 [e.g. german translation]), but there are things,
i approve, like the new file manager dolphin and some
other details.
If the next Release is not going to include/support KDE3,
i have no option, as getting used to the new KDE… :disapointed: