is it possible to upgrade to 11.1 by just changing the repo's to 11.1?

If not why not?

thanks,

Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

Yes, but I guess only 11.0 -> 11.1 will work. If you are still in 10.3, you will need to upgrade to 11.0 first, then upgrade to 11.1.

You only need to change your repo, then use “zypper dup” command.

This can be done, but a LOT depends on what you are coming from. I would NEVER recommend this myself. I typically recommend a CLEAN install.

The problems with such an upgrade can be:

a. your old configuration files (which are kept in /home/your-username) have some incompatibility with the newer version of an app (or the desktop);

b. you could have enormous (possibly unsolvable) dependency problems with 3rd party apps. Attempting to solve the dependencies in an inappropriate manner could mess you your 11.1 install and you will spend significantly more time sorting dependencies, than what it would take to do a clean install.

i did an upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3 and all i did was disable the third party repos and fix some dependencies. It’s not hard you just need to know what you are doing.

It shouldn’t break your current install.

Spyhawk wrote:

>
> Yes, but I guess only 11.0 -> 11.1 will work. If you are still in 10.3,
> you will need to upgrade to 11.0 first, then upgrade to 11.1.
>
> You only need to change your repo, then use “zypper dup” command.
>
>
how is this different from upgrading my repos and using “software management” in yast2?

thanks,

Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

don’t zypper dup, you are using kde 4.2, if you zypper dup 4.2 will be replaced with 4.1.3

Instead zypper up, or just upgrade using software manager.