Is it posible to install opensuse 12.2 from ntfs partition?

Hi,
I want to give it a try to opensuse 12.2 but unfortunately i don’t have a dvd/usb big enough to install from. All i have are lots of harddrives and a 4gb stick.
I can install it from net with the help of imagewriter and net install iso but for some reasons unknown ive seen lots of errors while setup is unpacking packages (and of course package ignore).
So i was thinking if is possible to install it from a iso file on ntfs partition or a folder on ntfs partition where ill extract all files from iso image.
Since im kind of a noob so i have no idea how to do this…but im pretty much sure that it is possible.
I was thinking in altering the iso file from net version and somehow (remember noob here) make that boot loader to read files from one of my hdd. but i dont know how to do this.
So if its possible please give me a “how to” for noobs guide.

I want to give it a try to opensuse 12.2 but unfortunately i don’t have a dvd/usb big enough to install from. All i have are lots of harddrives and a 4gb stick.

Have you considered installing with one of the liveCD images here from USB stick, details here.

Am 02.12.2012 10:56, schrieb logan 2k6:
> I can install it from net with the help of imagewriter and net install
> iso but for some reasons unknown ive seen lots of errors while setup is
> unpacking packages (and of course package ignore).

That sounds more than suspicious. On to what file system type do you try
to install openSUSE with the net install?

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.5 | GTX 650 Ti
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.9.3 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 11.4 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | lamp server

On 2012-12-02 10:56, logan 2k6 wrote:
> So i was thinking if is possible to install it from a iso file on ntfs
> partition or a folder on ntfs partition where ill extract all files from
> iso image

I think it is possible, but I don’t know the method from memory, I would
have to try and play. I think it is simply boot an image and then tell
it where to look up for its data.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

well im trying to install it on a emtpy partition. for now its ntfs but it will be formatted when ill be able to install from a full dvd iso.
ive install it once, as i was saying from net cd, but since i got lots of errors while installing from internet repository i couldnt install a few things afterwards so i formatted the partition back to ntfs. but its still empty…well almost empty :slight_smile:

well im trying to install it on a emtpy partition. for now its ntfs but it will be formatted when ill be able to install from a full dvd iso.

Why from a “full dvd iso”? The installed system ends up the same if done from a liveCD, or the DVD, you have all the same packages available to you in the repositories.

good question

well i dont like this
“A KDE desktop you can run from CD or from USB stick.
Can be installed as is (no upgrade).”
not very sure what “(no upgrade)” means.

plus there are more packages on dvd iso than are on live cd. i used to install both kde and gnome on opensuse 10.x…i can’t do that with live cd…probably after install i can do that…if its not too hard to find the right thing in yast.
i will give it a try to live cd…but probably tomorrow cause i have to go in a few minutes.

On 2012-12-02 18:36, logan 2k6 wrote:

> good question
>
> well i dont like this
> “A KDE desktop you can run from CD or from USB stick.
> Can be installed as is (no upgrade).”
> not very sure what “(no upgrade)” means.

That only means that you can not use the CD to upgrade an existing
system, and that’s not your case.

> plus there are more packages on dvd iso than are on live cd.

Yes, the CD has to download the rest from Internet.

> i used to
> install both kde and gnome on opensuse 10.x…i can’t do that with live
> cd…

True.

> probably after install i can do that…

Right.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

good question

well i dont like this
“A KDE desktop you can run from CD or from USB stick.
Can be installed as is (no upgrade).”
not very sure what “(no upgrade)” means.

I don’t know where that quote came from, but I don’t understand it any way, If you used a KDE liveCD to install, after the install you can upgrade KDE very easily, if you felt KDE was not for you, you could replace it with GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, or a dozen other desktops or window managers,
You can add , remove and upgrade any piece of software on a system installed with a liveCD every bit as easily as on a system installed with the DVD.

plus there are more packages on dvd iso than are on live cd. i used to install both kde and gnome on opensuse 10.x…i can’t do that with live cd…probably after install i can do that…if its not too hard to find the right thing in yast.
i will give it a try to live cd…but probably tomorrow cause i have to go in a few minutes.

Many packages are due for an update by the time you see the install iso’s, and usually soon after the release date there is a flood of updates available (as should be expected !) The package manager does not in any way discriminate against any method of install, it’s not racist, each are treated the same.

From an install initiated with a liveCD you can have as many desktop environments and window managers, or other software as you choose,

Weather you use DVD,CD, install over a network, or any variation using USB, or whatever, the end result should be the same, the details of how you achieve it would change.